GTX 1070 now for sale

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I don't think I will upgrade till the game gets closer to release personally, but that card does look awesome!

Reactions: AstroSam

UbEcLoWn

Space Marshal
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
UbEcLoWn
One of the guys I work with is a hardcore gamer but doesn't have a PC. So over the past 6 months I've slowly convinced him that he needs one. He managed to order a GTX 1070 last week along with the i5 6600k. He's on his way. I myself picked up a 1080 to replace my SLI GTX 970 setup. So far it's a BEAST. Loving it. Now to sell my 970's so the wife doesn't murder me.

allquixotic

Commander
Jun 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Tiyuk
The 1080 is great. I think CIG will finally settle on using the GTX 1080 as the gold standard card to run Star Citizen performantly and stop performance creep (meaning, they should stop increasing the specs requirements and target the 1080 to run at high framerates consistently and optimize for that).

Unless of course it doesn't get released until 2020 in which case they might target the next generation of cards... yikes.

I don't think the 980 will cut it unless you're ok with 30 FPS at 1080p60. If you want higher resolution or higher refresh rate, you'll definitely need at least one 1080.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Getting a 1080 or even a 1070 is a dream way too far away, for my wallet at least. I just can't justify spending two months worth of above-avarage paygrade salary on a video card, the wife would have my head for breakfast! :D
(a stock 1080 costs 950usd here, an above avarage good pay is around 500usd/month )

Rant start:
I'm furious at the retailers for keeping it's price above the price of the 980 line of cards, it's ridiculous. The new cards were supposed to be cheaper then those... A stock founders edition 1080 starts around the equivalent of 950usd, while the 980ti 6gb still hovers around the 700usd mark. Although the 1070 is not yet available, I've seen seen a preorder where it was around the equivalent of 780-800 usd. I do realise that a 1000 bucks for a card is like pocket change for a lot of you out there, but I like to whine about how poor I am :D
Rant ends.

I guess I'll start saving and see how the prices go in the US, and then ask for the kindness of one from community here to buy and send it to me in a nice gift-wrapped package. That alone would save about 30% on the price. I once did this with an ATI Black Knight bought from the US Ebay, and the guy was cool enough to send it in a gift-wrapped box after asking nicely and slipping him an extra 15 USD for shipping. It saved me about a 100 buck in the end, no trouble. Although, the postman was looking really curiously at the postoffice. It was the beginning of May. And it was wrapped in green and red Christmas wrap :D

I would love to try an AMD card again, had some pretty okay ones in the past, considering the price. They were always worse in performance compared to the supposedly equivalent nvidia cards, but you can't argue with it when the price is 3/4 or in some cases 2/3 of the nvidia ones. But the simulation and rendering software I work with still requires NVidia cards sadly so no switching for me.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
RIP wallets.. again...

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1070#cid=SMgtx1070launch

GEFORCE GTX 1070
GAMING PERFECTED
Take on today's most challenging, graphics-intensive games without missing a beat. The GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card delivers the incredible speed and power of NVIDIA Pascal™—the most advanced GPU ever created. This is the ultimate gaming platform. #GameReady.
$449.00
Nice. But since our car as well as our kitchen oven recently broke, and therewith our household finance completely broke down - and I'm thinking about to sell the Prospector and the Reliant -, the new graphics card definitively will reach my rig at the earliest by spring next year *sigh* :(

Forgot your password?