Guilt

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
...to restrictive.
Apple's App ecosystem is their biggest benefit in its purity but greatest weakness in restrictiveness. The tech platform is usually weaker and obsolescence seems to be designed into every handset.

Looking at the only other real option in Android the reverse is present, apps in their official store can be jammed what almost amounts to mal-ware with phones people have paid hundreds for suddenly playing adverts whenever you open an app, go online or read your emails.

If Google OK'd that intrusive practice they are killing their own market - I've seen multiple apple users jump to the highest level Samsung's, gleefully download a raft of apps that do what they had on apple without realising the dangers of downloading from the official store, only to be bombarded with ads randomly playing sometimes just by switching the thing on - and go back to Apple.

I avoided this issue on android by not downloading many/any apps. Defeats the point of having a smartphone but I'm not going to buy any product that is force-fed to me, I'm more likely to boycott it.

TL;DR they both have their weaknesses and should both be approached with caution.

Last edited:

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Apple's App ecosystem is their biggest benefit in its purity but greatest weakness in restrictiveness. The tech platform is usually weaker and obsolescence seems to be designed into every handset.

Looking at the only other real option in Android the reverse is present, apps in their official store can be jammed what almost amounts to mal-ware with phones people have paid hundreds for suddenly playing adverts whenever you open an app, go online or read your emails.

If Google OK'd that intrusive practice they are killing their own market - I've seen multiple apple users jump to the highest level Samsung's, gleefully download a raft of apps that do what they had on apple without realising the dangers of downloading from the official store, only to be bombarded with ads randomly playing sometimes just by switching the thing on - and go back to Apple.

I avoided this issue on android by not downloading many/any apps. Defeats the point of having a smartphone but I'm not going to buy any product that is force-fed to me, I'm more likely to boycott it.

TL;DR they both have their weaknesses and should both be approached with caution.
You can download apps just watch what you are downloading and you will be ok. the biggest problem with android apps is the ammount of apps that run in the background to notify you about crap you don't really care about. Then suddenly it has 1 thing that prevents you from muting the app so you have to deal with all those stupid notifications. a good example of this is facebook...... you get all the oh you have a notification, Bob dole updated his photo, or Judy fuckface wrote something. I don't care about any of that notify me if someone freken sends me a message or someone writes something on my wall jesus i hate apps so much. Id switch to apple but then i'm blocked from all these apps i want or need and there is 0 customization that i want to do to my phone such as UI overhauls so on so forth. It's so stressful its not even funny with phones these days maybe we should make our own phone and call it the test phone.... @Xist where is my new phone damnit!

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
No, however there’s not a good way to deal with all the apps, photos, and documents which are in the Apple ecosystem. The hardware is really just a way to keep you in their environment

Reactions: Ammorn

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
You can download apps just watch what you are downloading and you will be ok. the biggest problem with android apps is the ammount of apps that run in the background to notify you about crap you don't really care about. Then suddenly it has 1 thing that prevents you from muting the app so you have to deal with all those stupid notifications. a good example of this is facebook...... you get all the oh you have a notification, Bob dole updated his photo, or Judy fuckface wrote something. I don't care about any of that notify me if someone freken sends me a message or someone writes something on my wall jesus i hate apps so much. Id switch to apple but then i'm blocked from all these apps i want or need and there is 0 customization that i want to do to my phone such as UI overhauls so on so forth. It's so stressful its not even funny with phones these days maybe we should make our own phone and call it the test phone.... @Xist where is my new phone damnit!
What would Testfon’s killer feature be? Beer-smell on demand? Ability to auto-enroll another Testfon user to Grindr, and enable picture alerts?

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
What would Testfon’s killer feature be? Beer-smell on demand? Ability to auto-enroll another Testfon user to Grindr, and enable picture alerts?
It would have a brewing machine built into it so you can drink beer from it

Reactions: Ammorn

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
Security- That’s why I use apple. I refuse to use the fingerprint or faceID and have a “travel phone” that I use when going through customs.

Edit: I would never preorder a stupid phone, though. I’m still 2gen behind last year, and it works fine.

Edit2:: I only preorder stupid digital spaceships.

Last edited:

Jasum

Space Marshal
Dec 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Jasum
I preordered as well. I used to be in the Android master race camp for a very long time starting with the Moto Droid, and then had a very bad experience with the Galaxy S6. Android and Apple both have their shortcomings for sure, but I'm in the Apple camp because above all else my phone needs to execute flawlessly as a communication device (calls and text messages). It's probably better now, but my last Android experience didn't live up to that expectation.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I have a Sony Xperia Compact which I use like a dumb phone with a more legible keypad

small enough to fit easily in my pocket

NO apps installed - no annoying notifications, the battery lasts for days

I have an eight-inch tablet for Instagram, Kindle, weather and podcast apps

tl;dr: get off my lawn, tech fetishists!

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Same here. But honestly, I'm usually either at work, home, or have a specific destination/goal. So I don't really have much down time outside of my house. As a result, my phone doesn't need to entertain me and I don't need much for apps. I use the hell out of google and youtube for information, but use those through my browser and not their apps. The rest of the time I have my PC available and I'd much rather have that. Plus, I don't do social media. So that helps too.

But yea, in general I hate free sh!t because it's never actually free. F2P, free apps, free bonus products, they all are the same. You're either wildly overpaying for something else, or you're wasting tons of time wading through the adds and addons that bog you down with the other "free" products. I'd much rather pay and get just the product I want.

I preordered as well. I used to be in the Android master race camp for a very long time starting with the Moto Droid, and then had a very bad experience with the Galaxy S6. Android and Apple both have their shortcomings for sure, but I'm in the Apple camp because above all else my phone needs to execute flawlessly as a communication device (calls and text messages). It's probably better now, but my last Android experience didn't live up to that expectation.
The S6 sucked so bad. My wife ended up with one and my work phone is also a S6. The S7 is much better. The S9's are pretty decent as well. I'd still have my S7, but I ended up picking up a S9 recently for me and my wife due to the S7 being really slow suddenly. I'm fairly certain Android breaks previous generations and slows them down intentionally to force upgrades. My S7 started spazzing out quite suddenly, ironically just about the time the S9 was released. The same thing happened with our old S4's when the S7s came out. They just started lagging out of nowhere.

Now I'm curious. I'm going to grab my tinfoil hat real quick and google this shit...

EDIT: That didn't take long. Italy and France are both looking into Samsung about it. Apple downright admits it, but says it's for our own good...

Last edited:

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
For those desperate for an update on whether or not I pre-ordered (decision-making is a sport - will be at the next Olympics), I wound up cancelling the pre-order.

The $145 per month contract was a consideration, but not nearly as much as how capable my current iPhone 7+ is. I’ve decided to simply replace the battery and wait and see what’s next.

Forgot your password?