Hackers in Star Citizen already?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I get into pvp like twice a year, never thought to blame me blowing up from seemingly nothing on hacking. Always thought it was just the usual lag. Interesting, maybe I don't suck as much as I think lol
But that would be very unTESTlike of me so I'll keep on sucking as ordained.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Yep, hacking in SC has been an issue for a few years now, which is why CIG contracted with Easy Anti-Cheat...which was a mistake as they're probably the WORST third-party anti-cheat tool out there (places excessive burdens on players that do not hack but so easily defeated by those that do use hacks it may not as well even be there.)

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Lmao, I was reaching for my phone when Glorious Leader graciously deigned to inform the viewers that that's just the intro.
Saved me some puzzlement there, for which I am grateful.

Reactions: Montoya

Drowez

Captain
Jan 8, 2023
RSI Handle
Drowez
Appreciate the information, nice and quick overview. Thanks.

Reactions: Montoya

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
If CIG can prove that someone is cheating/hacking with absolute certainty, that person should have his account permabanned. No ifs, buts, and no refunds. Period.

Reactions: Bambooza and Drowez

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
If CIG can prove that someone is cheating/hacking with absolute certainty, that person should have his account permabanned. No ifs, buts, and no refunds. Period.
you know there being known hackers in SC they can monitor their account and gain valuable data from the hackers. Id say this is kind of a win if they let them stay.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
you know there being known hackers in SC they can monitor their account and gain valuable data from the hackers. Id say this is kind of a win if they let them stay.
That is a dangerous game as it enboldens others to cheat which destroys a game faster than becoming abandoned by the developers. It's why I was glad that SC was saying that they were using a server side authoritative solution as it cuts down on so many hacks leaving aim and wall hacks the only real viable hacks. While still crappy in a fps they are harder to prove from skilled players. But the hacks shown show a client validation which allows for far more detrimental hacks that just break the game and fun experience.

To this day it still baffling to me how much game development trusts the data sent from a client. I understand the server economics reasoning but it seems to pale in light of the game community collapsing due to widespread hacking. So much time and energy is spent on attempting to verify the client is safe as a weak bandage over a fundamental failure that is so well understood in the programing industry as a whole.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Best solution to deal with hakers, cheaters and bad attitude person is the one adopted by some other games: thake all tose player and put in a server/istance all togheter so they can eat theyr own shit.
This would both prevent them to harm others players and allow CIG to aquire cheats data at the same time... at least until the shitbags found out about theyrs limbo and stop playing, but I call that a win anyway.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
That is a dangerous game as it enboldens others to cheat which destroys a game faster than becoming abandoned by the developers. It's why I was glad that SC was saying that they were using a server side authoritative solution as it cuts down on so many hacks leaving aim and wall hacks the only real viable hacks. While still crappy in a fps they are harder to prove from skilled players. But the hacks shown show a client validation which allows for far more detrimental hacks that just break the game and fun experience.

To this day it still baffling to me how much game development trusts the data sent from a client. I understand the server economics reasoning but it seems to pale in light of the game community collapsing due to widespread hacking. So much time and energy is spent on attempting to verify the client is safe as a weak bandage over a fundamental failure that is so well understood in the programing industry as a whole.
Yeah its a dangerous game but definitely necessary as no one knows what hacker's techniques they are going try to use to exploit the system and system vulnerabilities. Its much harder to catch people exploiting the system if there is a huge community after a go live date. all of the "Live" releases are not the true coded information and can be damaged and regenerated with a clean wipe. Once the game is live you are relying on backups which could already be compromised or exploited. that's why i believe catching hackers now before data/coding is set in stone is a huge win vice after live.

Forgot your password?