Hacking Gameplay

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
I know that ships like the Legionnaire are set to have hacking gameplay - allowing you to hack disabled ship docking collars for a military boarding. I'm also aware that there is hacking crime stats, and they have recently introduced server hacking. But, has CIG discussed how else hacking gameplay might be implemented?

My imagination takes me to ships that can hack components (i.e., power plant, coolers, etc.) of enemy player/NPC ships or bases if able to get close enough and hopefully get away undetected. This would allow players to utilize a 'kill switch' at an opportune moment to perhaps reduce functionality of specific components, disable components temporarily, or perhaps destroy components (catch fire). This would be fantastic for coordinated group attacks on capital ships or bases. Has anything like this been discussed?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The Herald is going to have data spike missiles which give you a link to a target ships computers to hack once they are physically attached to the target - exactly what you can do has not been confirmed but imagine taking out a Javelin with a single Herald because you were able to hack and set off the Self Destruct!

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
True that but I bet if someone gets good enough there will be a few brown trouser moments on the bridge as the distruct flips on at random and has to be turned off again :-D

Here's something from 2015 with some very old info on what they were thinking about in Ewar and hacking at the time:

Last edited:

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
True that but I bet if someone gets good enough there will be a few brown trouser moments on the bridge as the distruct flips on at random and has to be turned off again :-D

Here's something from 2015 with some very old info on what they were thinking about in Ewar and hacking at the time:

Oh wow, that is a fantastic link! I really like what direction they were thinking. Interested to see how these ideas might evolve over time but happy to hear that they seem very interested in electronic warfare.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
My imagination takes me to ships that can hack components (i.e., power plant, coolers, etc.) of enemy player/NPC ships or bases if able to get close enough and hopefully get away undetected. This would allow players to utilize a 'kill switch' at an opportune moment to perhaps reduce functionality of specific components, disable components temporarily, or perhaps destroy components (catch fire). This would be fantastic for coordinated group attacks on capital ships or bases. Has anything like this been discussed?
This is how hacking works in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion and Force and Destiny; the three Fantasy Flight Games tabletop RPGs. It’s really fun and fulfilling.

In ship to ship combat, a team of players will typically be 4-6 people, each of which should be busy doing something. The Pilot and Copilot both have a busy list of their own stuff. Players are often in turrets. Someone with engineering skills can reduce strain on the ship and consequently allow it more actions in a turn. One of the coolest things though, is you can hack anything in sensor range and try to shut down components, based upon your computer skill and any special modifications installed in your ship. This can make all the difference in a battle.

Very cool dynamic I doubt we’ll ever see past the distortion damage dynamic. We will see distortion go to specific components once armor is enabled, just like we’ll see individual component damage become a thing. I think though if you want to actually manipulate opponents’ components through hacking, get you some SW TTRPG.

NomadicHavoc

Commander
Nov 19, 2023
RSI Handle
NomadicHavoc
This is how hacking works in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion and Force and Destiny; the three Fantasy Flight Games tabletop RPGs. It’s really fun and fulfilling.

In ship to ship combat, a team of players will typically be 4-6 people, each of which should be busy doing something. The Pilot and Copilot both have a busy list of their own stuff. Players are often in turrets. Someone with engineering skills can reduce strain on the ship and consequently allow it more actions in a turn. One of the coolest things though, is you can hack anything in sensor range and try to shut down components, based upon your computer skill and any special modifications installed in your ship. This can make all the difference in a battle.

Very cool dynamic I doubt we’ll ever see past the distortion damage dynamic. We will see distortion go to specific components once armor is enabled, just like we’ll see individual component damage become a thing. I think though if you want to actually manipulate opponents’ components through hacking, get you some SW TTRPG.
Never heard of those games. Sounds like fun though!

For SC, I think that the Data-Spike Missiles and Distortion Weapons will be sufficient to scratch my itch though. I also like the Signal-Intercept gameplay feature which would prevent the enemy ship from calling for help. The move levels that CIG can layer onto this cake, the better to provide more opportunity for immersive gameplay.

Forgot your password?