Hammerhead vs Polaris

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It all depends on the hammerheads laser damage output compared to the Polaris's shield strength and regen rate. The polaris isn't as strong as you think based on it's current stats.

With current stats the hammerhead should be able to take on a polaris's shield as it only has 2 x large like the carrack. The 890jump has 2 x capital class shields I.e a big upgrade over the carrack polaris. So has a hammerhead taken out an 890jump easily? We should find out for science!!! How quickly does a fully manned hammerhead take out a carrack then how quickly can it take out a 890j?
just tie an Aurora to the front of the POlaris and ram the bugger.

Also, the shape of the Polaris and the design of the Hammerhead are such that if you hit it in the right place, the Polaris will bust through the Aegis like Homer Simpson through a Doughnut. Polaris = pointy wedge, Hammerhead = rectangle with a hole in it. Put the wedge through the hole and that thing is split somewhere.

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
mmmmm. old thread...tasty.

i finally applied the polaris ccu so no going back. my train of thought was....to be effective the HH needs a pilot and 6 gunners and for the polaris it's a tango. maybe. :O pilot and a freedom tube launcher :D maybe not even that. maybe just the pilot has full control.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
mmmmm. old thread...tasty.

i finally applied the polaris ccu so no going back. my train of thought was....to be effective the HH needs a pilot and 6 gunners and for the polaris it's a tango. maybe. :O pilot and a freedom tube launcher :D maybe not even that. maybe just the pilot has full control.
Good choice and you could call the Polaris a hardcore version of Carrack, kind off ha ha ha...

🍻

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
CIG said the polaris pilot will be able to fire the front turret at least, but not the torp i'm afraid. This is only on paper for now, might change of course !
Thing is even if no torps you still would have access to one big gun and 32 x S3 missiles. Am I the only one that likes soloing big ships?!!!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I have a feeling those control surfaces were filed under the concept of the rule of cool as they seem relatively small compared to the size of the ship. But who knows as the ship was sent back to do another concept pass.

One ship I am concerned about would be how the Carrack is going to handle the new flight model changes given they said the 890jump is going to be challenging.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I do recall original statements that the Polaris will be fast handling for its size in and out of atmo, and the surfaces are not lift, merely control; so more than adequate for good performance in atmo.
How many times have we heard fast handling, punches above its weight class and other marking tidbits? All we know is that it's currently back in the concept phase and so the pics we have of it are expected to change. More so than the expected changes when it goes through the white box phase.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
My guess is the Polaris will disappoint with its speed in some ways, but it will likely be the fastest Large class ship. Certainly it will be faster than any Cap class. If it isn't as fast as the Carrack I think there will be sweeping complaints. It has to fit that niche or it isn't really a corvette. The question is, in what sense is it fast? Will they add a second, smaller and quicker spooling Q drive like the Cat was originally planned for, to enable better micro-jumping dynamics? That's what I'm really hoping for.

Ship's page says single Large drive, but really a Cap class and a Medium class would make a wonderful combination, and they could do that given the Cap class reactor. Right now there is no requirement for a cap class reactor so one wants to know why they went that way. What's up with that?

Last edited:
Forgot your password?