Has there been any mention of gimbal weapons that auto-track their target?

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Does that work well with a joystick, and does ED have a decoupled mode (I’ve obvuously never played it)?
I've played a few older space sims where it works amazing with a joystick. I can see it being handy in those tight close quarter fights in heavy debris or asteroids. But fixed still ends up with an advantage with high powered low rate of fire guns, they can snipe distance targets or have an easier time chasing those guys trying to turn and burn in a straight line, because while you might be really fast with the pedal down, odds are someone else' mass driver is faster.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Does that work well with a joystick, and does ED have a decoupled mode (I’ve obvuously never played it)?
The balance there is that gimbal weapons are smaller than fixed.

That is, you can mount gimbal weapons that lock the target, so you will land more shots, but it will take longer to take down shields and armor.

If you want to use fixed weapons, they are harder to aim, but when you land a shot, it hits hard.

Pretty much like what we have in Star Citizen except our gimbal weapons don't track targets.

There is also a decoupled mode.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
The balance there is that gimbal weapons are smaller than fixed.

That is, you can mount gimbal weapons that lock the target, so you will land more shots, but it will take longer to take down shields and armor.

If you want to use fixed weapons, they are harder to aim, but when you land a shot, it hits hard.

Pretty much like what we have in Star Citizen except our gimbal weapons don't track targets.

There is also a decoupled mode.
I’ve always preferred fixed weapons because having a fuzzy range of motion where your joystick inputs don’t map to ship movement sounds great until you have to navigate through a tight / dense environment, or translate movements quickly such as when flying in atmosphere at very low altitude.

An auto-track system would be massively helpful.

Crimsontarget

Captain
May 31, 2018
RSI Handle
Crimsontarget
Thats how it works in Elite Dangerous with the smaller fighters, the gimbal weapon lock is only 15-20 degrees from center. You still have to fly the ship and keep your target within that cone of acquisition or lose the lock.
Can even add to this design with signature tracking gimbals as per Citizen Gamer's proposal. Worth looking into on spectrum. It closes the gap between fixed and gimballed and gets ride of the need for the point and clickiness and OP precision of gimbals with a mouse.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So... thinking about this as another mechanic in the game...

Can we make a TEST Weapons Research Lab e-war system that corrupts or confuses the lock and makes it jitter, causing a percentage of our foes shots fly wide letting our Auroras last long enough to crash them?

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
So... thinking about this as another mechanic in the game...

Can we make a TEST Weapons Research Lab e-war system that corrupts or confuses the lock and makes it jitter, causing a percentage of our foes shots fly wide letting our Auroras last long enough to crash them?
Yes, they are called HABBs, High Alcohol Beer Bombs, after we drop them all over a target, the uninitiated will experience all manner of confusion, jitters, sad pickup lines, time dilation, etc

Forgot your password?