Have any of you out there in TEST Squadron tried using a tablet to manage your power and shield?

SilentB-TEST

Commander
Jan 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SilentB-TEST
I installed PowerA and SC3 on my Android tablet last weekend. Both have a server client on the pc that I installed also. They both seem cool and I think they would be useful since I am still terrible at finding keys to manage power, shield and weapons while using a flight stick even though I have be at it since X-Wing came out in the stone ages. I have both of the tablet apps talking to the pc server apps but neither seem to do anything to my Aurora's power or shieds in Arena Commander. Is this because those are not adjustable on the Aurora or am I doing something wrong?

SilentB-TEST

Commander
Jan 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SilentB-TEST
Ok, it makes me feel better knowingI was not going crazy. Also good call on Powergrid. That was what I ment when I said I tried PowerA. There were a number of really nice layouts to use.

Thank you very much,
SilentB

SilentB-TEST

Commander
Jan 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SilentB-TEST
Multiple device support would be nice. If If could turn my touch screen laptop in to my instrument panel, that would be sweet as well. I looked a bit and didn't find anybody with an app that would run on another windows device and talk to Star Citizen

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
I installed PowerA and SC3 on my Android tablet last weekend. Both have a server client on the pc that I installed also. They both seem cool and I think they would be useful since I am still terrible at finding keys to manage power, shield and weapons while using a flight stick even though I have be at it since X-Wing came out in the stone ages. I have both of the tablet apps talking to the pc server apps but neither seem to do anything to my Aurora's power or shieds in Arena Commander. Is this because those are not adjustable on the Aurora or am I doing something wrong?
Do you have links you could post for those? I wasn't able to find them in the Play store.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Voice attack is the way forward. I hope CIG fix power management in 2.6 soon as I used it A LOT and it makes a big difference.

"Power Shields" (Power transferred to shields captain)
"Shield Front" (Shield power transferred to front captain)
"Dual attack mode" (This isn't Voyager, and you are not Janeway)

SilentB-TEST

Commander
Jan 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SilentB-TEST
Voice attack is the way forward. I hope CIG fix power management in 2.6 soon as I used it A LOT and it makes a big difference.

"Power Shields" (Power transferred to shields captain)
"Shield Front" (Shield power transferred to front captain)
"Dual attack mode" (This isn't Voyager, and you are not Janeway)
Yeah, voice attack sounds great but my hurts just chewing pizza so I have to keep talking to a minimum.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
I tried power grid but soon realized that my power and shields was already on my right thumb of my hotas.
It didn't get along well with some sound based things I have going on for other uses.
Some things were compatible but most were not. I think it will improve drastically over time.
I already have double redundancy with the keyboard and stick.
Triple redundancy was just fun for a day. But it looked cool. :)

Reactions: SilentB-TEST

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I tried power grid but soon realized that my power and shields was already on my right thumb of my hotas.
It didn't get along well with some sound based things I have going on for other uses.
Some things were compatible but most were not. I think it will improve drastically over time.
I already have double redundancy with the keyboard and stick.
Triple redundancy was just fun for a day. But it looked cool. :slight_smile:
If CGI can manage feedback from SC to powergrind and analog control from powergrid to SC, than it really would be awesome. Right now it is "power to shields", you have the command bound to the keyboard binding but no feedback. You still must check the screen on how much power you assigned. The feedback can be calculated depending on how often you pressed a button.

However, if you can select a power setting depending on a position on the power grid screen, thus analog, that would be really nice. If you also get a feedback on your setting, this would be awesome. You wouldn't need to check your HUD anymore, the same info is displayed on your powergrid.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Interesting. I can see the logic in it. The SH shields are displayed nicely in the top left of the screen now which is cool but the other versions are lacking for sure. The Solarfly script behaves nicely in allowing your thumb to adjust but I can see the beauty of being able to Choose a percentage (for instance) to return a more analog style experience.
It could as you suggest be the number of key presses (macro'd perhaps?).
I could see me delving into roccat again. Like right now. ;) Thanks Marc.

Metal-Muffin

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Metal-Muffin
I am literally building my own "tablet" out of a raspberry pi, 7" compacitive touch screen, and an Arduino, specifically for easy access to hud, power, shields and custom navigation and databases. The idea is to have 2 of them that function identically, but redundantly, and use keyboard presses via USB instead of over a network. Using a GUI also lets me create setups for other games as well such as Elite Dangerous and DCS (poor-man's CDU). Future goals include creating notifications between the... MFD's?- GPIO and the mechanical switches to generate notifications on the screens like "WEAPONS ARMED" or "why the eff are you still in landing mode you dumb ass?!". If I can pull it off, it'll be amazing. If I can figure out how to make it 100% customizable to an end user and general-purpose enough to be used with any type of game, it may even be marketable. The Pi, Arduino clone, and screen come out to just over $110, so after the programming is figured out, this thing could be pretty cheap manufacture and sell. Look at a Thrustmaster Warthog how many people have bought those!

Sorry for the ramble. I'm a little over-caffeinated today.

Forgot your password?