Have you cleaned your PC today?

Slo

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2015
RSI Handle
SLØ
This is why I designed my new build to utilize a separate fan cabinet that will house 2 fans sucking thru MERV-8 filters which then blows into my computer case. Makes it pressure positive so almost no dust to be found .. ever.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
This is why I designed my new build to utilize a separate fan cabinet that will house 2 fans sucking thru MERV-8 filters which then blows into my computer case. Makes it pressure positive so almost no dust to be found .. ever.
Only issue with a positive pressure is it reduces the cooling capacity so you end up having to increase air flow.

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
I have opened up the side panel and given it a little blow once in a while, it never looked bad at all.

This summer the fans sounded like they are working harder then usual, it has been a very hot and humid season here in NC, so I did not give it much thought.

Today was doing some major reorganizing of my office. I threw out this massive corner unit that was taking up to much space. I need to room to set up a green screen and another desk because Im a fancy youtuber.

I had to disconnect my PC to get this done, a task I absolutely detest due to all the wiring plus the Oculus Rift DK2 which is a nightmare to move around.

Once the PC case was free, I opened up every single panel I could find.

This is what I found on the H100 CPU cooler!

I took a vacuum cleaner to that thing!

If you have not checked your case in a while, open that thing up and get in there!!!
Aww, you made a custom blanket to keep it warm. That was nice of you.

And now I must check my fans and coolers. Thanks for the PSA

Reactions: Bambooza and Ammorn

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'm just getting my strength back from being sick and need to clean my computer. When I feel up to it I'll haul the heavy beast outside and hit it with a couple cans of huff duster. It really needs it, and I noticed the 200mm fan on the side case panel has stopped working. I've got a spare 200mm though. I've thought of getting a mini-fridge and rebuilding it into a sealed enclosure with desiccants to keep the computer cool and dust free.
Linus Tech Tips tried it and for them it didn't work, the fridge was just not up to it and in the long run a fridge/freezer motor isn't designed to continuously run with a heatsource inside it like that...

an Air Conditioning unit with an hapa filter in it to ensure it's blowing nothing but clean air? You might have a lot more luck with that.

I've just finished building my new machine but when all the case fans are spinning at 100% it cools the corner of the room i've got it in for some reason...? I'll keep an eye on it ☺

Last edited:

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
Linus Tech Tips tried it and for them it didn't work, the fridge was just not up to it and in the long run a fridge/freezer motor isn't designed to continuously run with a heatsource inside it like that...

an Air Conditioning unit with an hapa filter in it to ensure it's blowing nothing but clean air? You might have a lot more luck with that.

I've just finished building my new machine but when all the case fans are spinning at 100% it cools the corner of the room i've got it in for some reason...? I'll keep an eye on it ☺

Check the posters on the wall.

Slo

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2015
RSI Handle
SLØ
Only issue with a positive pressure is it reduces the cooling capacity so you end up having to increase air flow.
With a PC case that is sealed and the only way air can get out is through the radiators I am not sure why I have reduced my cooling capacity.

Utilizing 2 of these 150+CFM fans: (that is full speed, obviously I will run much lower than that to reduce noise)
case fan 2.jpg

into this case:
PC case.jpg

With all the airflow exiting through 2 of these rads:
radiator.jpg

That's a 560 rad that can dissipate 2k-2.5k BTUs of heat .. each. So 4k - 5k BTU combined.
Considering I will generate about a tenth of that amount of heat, I believe all I will need is a breeze exiting my case to provide sufficient cooling.
The goal here is for quiet operation even if I decide to overclock a bit.
But if you believe my cooling capacity to be inadequate then please elaborate. I don't want to miss something.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Very interesting Slo! I take it your mounting the fans somewhere outside the case?

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Hmm interesting. I have a feeling their gonna be quite noisy!

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
Positive air pressure is great for large cooling projects. My mining room as 3000 cfm (scale-able if required) and 2400 cfm out. Having the positive pressure helps to force cooler air through the machines and then all the hot air is piped out.

I ended up doing the exact same setup in mini for my rig and haven't had to clean it in six months. Of course it also helps if you keep your house clean and the air filters changed for the intakes every 30-90 days.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
With a PC case that is sealed and the only way air can get out is through the radiators I am not sure why I have reduced my cooling capacity.
Compressed air increases the temperature of the air and can be calculated by this PV=mRT. And heat exchange is calculated by :
. So by increasing the pressure you are increasing the air temperature and reducing the cooling rate which is impacted by the difference between the two temperatures. (admittedly the amount in such a system is hardly effected by a positive or negative pressure on a computer case) . All air flow does is exchange the air at the boundary layer so that you maintain as close as possible to the ambient air temperature and thus maintain as high as possible the delta t.

So the best method to cool is to suck air across the heat exchange thus creating a slight low pressure zone creating as light dip in the air temperature and increasing the heat transfer rate.

Utilizing 2 of these 150+CFM fans: (that is full speed, obviously I will run much lower than that to reduce noise)
View attachment 10642

into this case:
View attachment 10643
With all the airflow exiting through 2 of these rads:
View attachment 10646
That's a 560 rad that can dissipate 2k-2.5k BTUs of heat .. each. So 4k - 5k BTU combined.
Considering I will generate about a tenth of that amount of heat, I believe all I will need is a breeze exiting my case to provide sufficient cooling.
The goal here is for quiet operation even if I decide to overclock a bit.
But if you believe my cooling capacity to be inadequate then please elaborate. I don't want to miss something.

Long story short while yes it is true you have reduced slightly your cooling capacity the end result is you have more then enough cooling capacity for the system you are running. For those who wish to go the most efficient on their cooling remember you want to pull air through a heat exchange not push it. (pull cool, push heating)

Forgot your password?