Head Tracking

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
My fellow TESTie, I have a question:

Head tracking. Does it work well with SC?

And

What are some recommendations for a type/style to use?
Trackhat
Track IR
The cell phone method?

I'm not that educated in the way it works, so I figured you rocket surgeons could edjamacate me.

Thanks

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
I have an Edtracker and a TrackIr clone with which I use with FaceTrackNoir.
I prefer Edtracker more at the moment since its less of a hassle. Just put it on your head and go-time. It doesnt have a Z-axis tho (that I know of anyway).

I have some trouble with obstructed leds and light in general with Track IR.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I have an Edtracker and a TrackIr clone with which I use with FaceTrackNoir.
I prefer Edtracker more at the moment since its less of a hassle. Just put it on your head and go-time. It doesnt have a Z-axis tho (that I know of anyway).

I have some trouble with obstructed leds and light in general with Track IR.
I shall research. Thank you.

Wrngway

Admiral
Feb 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Wrngway
I've been using Track IR in some of my other games. It's easy to setup and use, and feels really natural. I love it in Elite Dangerous and Euro Truck Driver.

Last I checked it's not working yet in Star Citizen. There's a work around so your view is the mouse input and I prefer a joystick to using it that way. Once it's fully up, it should really add to the immersive feel and be an advantage in dog fights.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I've been using Track IR in some of my other games. It's easy to setup and use, and feels really natural. I love it in Elite Dangerous and Euro Truck Driver.

Last I checked it's not working yet in Star Citizen. There's a work around so your view is the mouse input and I prefer a joystick to using it that way. Once it's fully up, it should really add to the immersive feel and be an advantage in dog fights.
A work around for mouse look eh? Interesting. How does that work. I fly with a HOTAS, so mouse look wouldn't be bad.

Wrngway

Admiral
Feb 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Wrngway
A work around for mouse look eh? Interesting. How does that work. I fly with a HOTAS, so mouse look wouldn't be bad.
I didn't like it at all. It's not really mouse look. Picture flying with a mouse except your head is the mouse. Any time you turn your head you get mouse control inputs. Your field of vision is restricted too. I suppose I could've made it work, but was just too distracting.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal

I'm using my EDtracker unit directly as joystick input for view left/right and up/down, binded in SC options. Works fine, you just need to set the curves up a bit to get better results.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I'm using my EDtracker unit directly as joystick input for view left/right and up/down, binded in SC options. Works fine, you just need to set the curves up a bit to get better results.
EDtracker sounds decent. You use the DIY version, or the pro?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I didn't like it at all. It's not really mouse look. Picture flying with a mouse except your head is the mouse. Any time you turn your head you get mouse control inputs. Your field of vision is restricted too. I suppose I could've made it work, but was just too distracting.
That does sound like a pain in the ass. And dizzying.

lex

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
rlex
I recently got a trackir and i'm loving it.
One thing to consider: potential problems when sitting near very bright light. For example, near window in sunny day.
I live on 14th floor and i have big windows, so i need to close curtains, or i can start getting weird issues with trackir (or it can just go crazy)
Also trackir doesn't like mirrors and glass desks.

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
I have no idea what Edtracker tbh, it came as a bonus with the x52 i bought. It says EDtracker2 in opentrack :)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I recently got a trackir and i'm loving it.
If you Google for for star citizen, vjoy and freepie you can get find some stuff to emulate joy look with a track ir too. Still no z axis that way though

edit: Found it :D
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3tr90l/trackir_workaround/
This looks interesting. Thank you both.
So dumb question: do you have to buy a specific camera for trackIR? Or any camera that supports eye tracking, then use the software?
Treat me like a complete noob when it comes to this stuff, as I am.

I'll look into EDtracker and TrackIR after work. From what I understand so far though, one tracks your eye, the other uses an input device on your noggin? Then you use a specific software with each.

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
My fellow TESTie, I have a question:

Head tracking. Does it work well with SC?

And

What are some recommendations for a type/style to use?
Trackhat
Track IR
The cell phone method?

I'm not that educated in the way it works, so I figured you rocket surgeons could edjamacate me.

Thanks
I use trackIR5 pro and it works fine. Very easy to use. you will need like 30-40 hours to make it an extension of your will though.. I gave up after like 2 hours.... but I've seen people use it very well to aim gimbals and look around

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
EDtracker sounds decent. You use the DIY version, or the pro?
I've made some TEST themed version (with TEST logo on PCB, etc) long before PRO came into play and supplied a few TESTies with it. I also worked on fixing a lot of the drifting issues and improving on the EDTracker code, but then I guess Matt saw there was commercial interest in it and decided to monetize on the Pro version and talk some bullshit about my version on reddit.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I've made some TEST themed version (with TEST logo on PCB, etc) long before PRO came into play and supplied a few TESTies with it. I also worked on fixing a lot of the drifting issues and improving on the EDTracker code, but then I guess Matt saw there was commercial interest in it and decided to monetize on the Pro version and talk some bullshit about my version on reddit.
I still have one of those, but I could never get it to play nice with SC. The hardware works nicely, but SC just wouldn't map the axes properly. I ended up running the race tracks by steering with my head for a while... it was interesting, but hella disorienting. It's been a long time since I fired it up, I'd have to reinstall all the programs again.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Wow. Good work. Sorry to hear about the shit side of the situation. Stupid people are stupid. That's my in-depth thought on that situation. I'd rather punch someone like that dude than listen to their bullshit. People do dumb shit when their threatened. Obviously your work threatened him. So good work.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I still have one of those, but I could never get it to play nice with SC. The hardware works nicely, but SC just wouldn't map the axes properly. I ended up running the race tracks by steering with my head for a while... it was interesting, but hella disorienting. It's been a long time since I fired it up, I'd have to reinstall all the programs again.
How much of a difference does head-tracking make when playing? I'm thinking of using it just for headlook. Not really for gimbals or anything.

Forgot your password?