Head Tracking

Krystal LeChuck

Meme Meister
Staff member
Officer
Jun 10, 2014
RSI Handle
Krystal
How much of a difference does head-tracking make when playing? I'm thinking of using it just for headlook. Not really for gimbals or anything.
If you use headtracking, you don't wanna play without it ever again... That simple.

Reactions: Blind Owl

WhooptyWoo

Admiral
Donor
Jul 18, 2014
RSI Handle
WhooptyWoo
If you use headtracking, you don't wanna play without it ever again... That simple.
This is the main reason I have been reluctant to really get into the game yet. After enjoying TrackIR so much in other games it feels like I am flying with blinders on in SC.

It seems like a pretty simple thing to implement, but if it were I'm sure they would have done it already.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Was trying some settings in dxtory and made a little movie where I use edtracker. Its pretty immersive!

Damn. That's freaking sweet. Thanks for the video.
This is the main reason I have been reluctant to really get into the game yet. After enjoying TrackIR so much in other games it feels like I am flying with blinders on in SC.

It seems like a pretty simple thing to implement, but if it were I'm sure they would have done it already.
@Bigtimes seems to have a decent setup. I'm green with envy ATM.

Reactions: WhooptyWoo

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Made another "movie" to review my performance and it has some nice headtracking moments in it. So I though I share

Last edited:

WhooptyWoo

Admiral
Donor
Jul 18, 2014
RSI Handle
WhooptyWoo
Can't watch that video in the US.

Also. I just tried getting head tracking going in SC today, and I am having an issue.

I can get the FreePIE program to control my mouse on my desktop with no problem, but I can't get it to control the mouse in SC.

I set TrackIR to one-one
I double tap alt to turn on freelook
And then I press Pageup to toggle the script
Nothing changes

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. When I am on the desktop I can press pageup to toggle the script on/off, but it won't accept it in SC. I can only use my actual mouse.

Another weird thing is when I select the SC launcher on my desktop, the head tracking stops also, even if the game is not running.

I reset controls to default in SC, but that didn't help either.

Last edited:

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Yes ive been looking at track IR but the only thing I am worried about is my monitor is a bit small - It makes sense to me to use a big monitor so that you are actually looking around the monitor rather than looking away from it?

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Can't watch that video in the US.

Also. I just tried getting head tracking going in SC today, and I am having an issue.

I can get the FreePIE program to control my mouse on my desktop with no problem, but I can't get it to control the mouse in SC.

I set TrackIR to one-one
I double tap alt to turn on freelook
And then I press Pageup to toggle the script
Nothing changes

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. When I am on the desktop I can press pageup to toggle the script on/off, but it won't accept it in SC. I can only use my actual mouse.

Another weird thing is when I select the SC launcher on my desktop, the head tracking stops also, even if the game is not running.

I reset controls to default in SC, but that didn't help either.
I use this script in combination with vjoy, works for me:

#maps trackir input to vJoy axes
from System import Int16

def toIntSafe(value):
max = Int16.MaxValue*0.5+2
min =-Int16.MaxValue*0.5+1
if value > max: return max
if value < min: return min
return value

def update():
#range of motion on trackir mapped to max axis
global toggle

if toggle:
xangle = 120
yangle = 80
rangle = 50
yaw = filters.mapRange(trackIR.yaw, -xangle, xangle, -vJoy[0].axisMax, vJoy[0].axisMax)
pitch = filters.mapRange(trackIR.pitch, -yangle, yangle, -vJoy[0].axisMax, vJoy[0].axisMax)
roll = filters.mapRange(trackIR.roll, -rangle, rangle, -vJoy[0].axisMax, vJoy[0].axisMax)
vJoy[0].x = toIntSafe(yaw)
vJoy[0].y = toIntSafe(pitch)
vJoy[0].z = toIntSafe(roll)
else:
vJoy[0].x = 0
vJoy[0].y = 0
vJoy[0].z = 0

if starting:
trackIR.update += update
prev = keyboard.getPressed(Key.End)
toggle = True

current = keyboard.getPressed(Key.End)
if prev != current:
prev = current
if current:
toggle = not toggle

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Maybe by the time I'm off exercise in June, CIG will have made head tracking more viable in SC. :) Haha.

Honestly, I still haven't had a chance to try (TEST) any of the info you fine fellows have posted in this thread. Between work and family, time is a precious commodity.

I am looking forward to trying this stiff out though. Eventually. Or dare I say, Soon(tm).

Forgot your password?