Heads up for any content creators on You Tube

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Seems a lot of accounts are being suspended if your viewrs spam the emotes in Chat/spam chat with comments (one account was suspended for reportedly 6 comments in 2 hours), it wouldn't be that big a problem if it was just youtube but seems it can lead to a Google Account suspension which could really screw over your digital life if you use Google services like YouTuble, Gmail, Blogger, Google Sheets, Google Drive, an Android phone etc etc etc

This is a big YouTube personality who was just funded by Youtube to do an original piece of content for them, however while streaming to his viewers afterward many of them started getting bans seemingly for joining in in the chat:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWaz7ofl5wQ

Hope helps, don't encourage your viewers to spam those emotes/chat until it's fixed. If it gets fixed.

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
That serius... banning an entire account (and that also mean the account you are using on your android device...) for a BS like that is, in my humble vision of thinks, subjected of some law action... especially after the reject of the complain...

"Don't be evil"... my ass...

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
That serius... banning an entire account (and that also mean the account you are using on your android device...) for a BS like that is, in my humble vision of thinks, subjected of some law action... especially after the reject of the complain...

"Don't be evil"... my ass...
They got rid of "Don't be evil" in favor of "Do the right thing". The question that begs is, the right thing for whom? 😉

I have seen some arguments from commenters (not youtube/google itself) that the terms of Googles Account system says no spamming. I suggest that spamming in Chat and Email are two different things, one is posting the same message over and over in a chat system - in which case build your chat system to limit the number of posts per second or deny multiple posts of content that doesn't change, this is how building a decent Chat system works - and the other is sending malicious emails to many thousands of unsuspecting victims in the attempt to defraud, harass, hijack a computer, advertise in an oppressive manner etc.

I understand that it's their systems and their rules, but I also understated that when you have cornered the market in many services and have customers who use multiple of those services, the response to posting multiple emoj's at the request of a streamer in a chat system being to ban a user from every single Google service known to man is the tiniest bit overkill. With great power comes great responsibility. With great popularity also comes great responsibility.

If this is the case and the suspensions stand, YouTube appears to not be a suitable platform for streaming and anyone wishing to stream and engage with the audiance live should seek other providers who understand the medium.

I had a similar expiriance in 2011 when I put a joke middle name on their Google Plus service - loose the middle name and prove you are you by sending us a scan of your photo ID or you are banned from every single service we provide. It was a joke middle name. It ended up being a debacle made the news and 8 years later in April 2019 they shut down Google Plus for non-business - it's dead and they killed the fledgling user interest by not appreciating and understanding how some people like to be online. Fun. Interesting. Quirky. To threaten to remove access to every single service... well, it's making Google services incompatible with reality and the evolving nature of online discourse.

I don't think they are evil - but I don't think they get it right every time either especially in reacting to unexpected user interaction like this, and I won't be putting all of my eggs in the one Google services basket either. Learned that lesson in 2011.

Last edited:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I don't think they are evil - but I don't think they get it right every time either, and I won't be putting all of my eggs in the one Google services basket either. Learned that lesson in 2011.
Agree with all you have said, problem is that this is not the first time I've seen a YouTuber report problem with YT policy: some had prblem witrh a raffle give-away, some with video indexin some have receive a take down notice for a video of self produce content.

Being Google the over power it is I realy have different concerns about the managemt of this market becouse big G is the reference point a lot of company are looking to copy, a behavior like this really menace the whole market and the whole system and it will take some time before market react by leaving the platform for a different services since thre are no other services so well know and thet offer a so wide possible oudience.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
:wut: ➡ ▶ 🤜👌🌕 ➡ :thump: ➡ :drunk: ➡ :mad:➡ 🕵️‍♂️👽👻 ▶ 💀🤖🥜🍷🎲➡🙇‍♂️🤷‍♂️❔➡
🚪🏃‍♂️

For those of who don't speak emoji, it's
"What? Youtube fists us in the a**. I want to cry, then get drunk, then get mad. Then covertly meet with aliens to spook youtube dead also robot peanut wine and dice... I'm sorry what? I'm out of here"

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Thank you for sharing. So NEVER spam emotes on YouTube live stream as people do on Twitch.tv for the last 8+ years. People had their entire google accounts (all services) banned for commenting on his live stream for using multiples of the same emote. SPAM is by definition posting the same thing to many others. A unique post you make that has repeating emotes is not spam when it's invited. This to me is insane. And, in my opinion, I think Google should publicly apologize and have a form to fill out so people this happened to can get unbanned.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
yes, I agree this is a severe over reaction on Google’s part. That said, let’s take a step back as well. Often times, it is hard to read the chat messages because of all the emoji and spam chat going on in the background. It may be even more difficult for the content creators to read the questions being asked and then responding to them.

So, yes, there is an issue that needs to be addressed. Is this a horrible over reaction on Alphabets’s part? Yes it is. Instead, I would put something like a emoji mute button available for use by live streamers. It would simply mute emojis. If someone uses this, it will also scan for spam. Use of these features would be visible to those viewing the stream. These would need to be selected when starting up your stream, but you could still put a default method for your account.

Next, have a warning system in place. Lastly, for those that continue to abuse the rules, the final solution is to mute them on YouTube forever (live chat and comments) not ban them from all services. Note, there could still be opportunities for other punishments that are not as bad as the last one. Also, banning from all of google properties could still be an option if the person is a bad actor on multiple properties.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
That said, let’s take a step back as well. Often times, it is hard to read the chat messages because of all the emoji and spam chat going on in the background. It may be even more difficult for the content creators to read the questions being asked and then responding to them.
I agree, however when you have many thousands of viewers all using the same chat at once it becomes impossible to read anyway with tens of messages flashing by every second. When SC has a live stream with the devs they always ask that legit questions are raised with a [QUESTION] so they have a hope in hell of reading them and I have seen on some non-SC streams that it has gone so far as to be monetized, having your comment stay on screen longer if you donate $ for it to be there. (I think this is standard for most streaming services however no no pitchforks for that.)

The red/green thing the youtuber in the original post was doing was an attempt to use chat in a way that let every one of those thousands of viewers watching still be engaged joining in with decisions that were being made on screen. A chat for a streamer with many multiple thousands of viewers is just not fit for purpose on ANY platform. There doesn't look to have been any innovation here, it's just forcing another string on to the violin that is their most popular brand but now it has nine strings none of them sound quite right anymore.

If they could innovate a bit and come up with a system that actually worked, like letting streamers have a dedicated questions sub-chat or a set of on screen buttons they could edit on the fly so they can let their viewers vote on things on the fly that'd be great!

And, in my opinion, I think Google should publicly apologize
I've been waiting for mine since 2011:

Yes there was an utterance of "...for this we apologize" in 2014, but it followed the words "We know that our names policy has been unclear, and this has led to some unnecessarily difficult experiences for some of our users." They apologized for the clearness of the policy, not the actions that they executed in pursuit of the policy:

And even then they still required your real name in the account with an optional alternate display name. And then:

A 52 million account data breach that revealed those names anyway.

I want to make it clear I'm not trying to witch-hunt this company, it has done many great things like Translate, Maps Streetview etc, their work in education is fantastic and they have literally changed the world for the better... but I can't say I haven't seen and been victim to something like this before.

Lessons from Google Plus real names policy have obviously not been learnt. The response to this particular instance had better be faster than three years, and had better not apologize for the clearness of a set of terms rather than their actions enforcing them.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Last edited:
Forgot your password?