HEROS of THE STORM

MrRepeatz

Lieutenant
Mar 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Repeatz
If anyone wants a hots beta key just pm me i have 4 to spare first come first serve

the codes only work on US accounts

Last edited:

WhooptyWoo

Admiral
Donor
Jul 18, 2014
RSI Handle
WhooptyWoo
Why are Mobas so damn popular?

I'm not trying to piss in anyones cornflakes here. I am honestly curious.

LoL is the most played online game in the world by a large margin, and DotA is the most played game on steam, also by a significant margin.

I know different strokes for different folks, but there are a shit-ton of people strokin it!

TypeO

Space Marshal
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Privateer
I can only speak for DotA2, but it's like heroin, man. It's hard to play something else once you discover the depth of the game paired with the fact that you WILL learn something new every game. I have clocked around 300 hours into DotA2 and I am still a newb and I still haven't played all the characters. The only thing that makes me stop for longer times is after a very bad experience with other players, which to be fair is quite often the case in mobas. After a few weeks of abstinence I return every damn time....

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
If you are us/na region look me up on mumble. In always playing and streaming HotS. Always willing to add testis and play.

Battle tag waelsleaht#1557

Twitch.tv/waelsleaht

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
Why are Mobas so damn popular?
I have only ever tried out two MOBA games: Heroes of the Storm Beta about a week ago and Warhammer 40K: Dark Nexus, which is currently not open to the public (signed up as an alpha tester at PAX). I have never played LOL, DOTA, or HON.

I have to agree here: I don't get the long term appeal of MOBAs or understand why they are so popular. They come across as really repetitive and it seems the only goal is to just earn all of the characters, then all of their alternate outfits and silly hats and shit like that. I'm not blind to the competitive aspect of it, but after running though all the maps in HotS a few times and trying out all of the different modes, I can't say there was enough replay value to make me want to spend a hundred hours in it or even a dozen more.

And this is coming from a guy who has been playing the same maps over and over again in Arena Commander for almost a year now. There's something for everyone, I suppose. ;)

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
I've been playing MOBAs off and on for 10 years. They're fun with a group of friends but I just can't get into the competitive side. In college we all played the DOTA mod on WC3 and it was great when we all had our doors open and were screaming and yelling at each other. It's also really fun at a LAN party when you're drunk and its 2AM.

My roommate and the guys he still talks to from college are still super into them. They flew to Seattle to watch the world championship this year. He's kind of an elitist about it and will only play DOTA2 now, but I believe also played HON for a bit. He said HOTS was kind of slow. Being a huge Blizzard fanboy I thought he'd be in love with it.

I've tried DOTA, HON, DOTA2, Vain Glory and some other one back in the day, but yeah never kept my interest. It's just feels like the same thing every time. I guess you could say the same about Arena Commander or BF4 if you've played them enough. Also not trying to insult anyone who also loves them, I feel like there's a huge learning curve between having fun and being serious and the middle ground of that is a struggle for me.

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
When it comes to MOBAs, the only one I like is HotS. League is toxic, DOTA... just couldn't get into it. I'm a blizzard guy at heart so that could be why I like HotS. Dunk-master Diablo, Drill Tychus, and Siegemodan are my top 3 chars to play as. I like how it's very much more of a team game instead of having one person carrying, though, I don't like how people don't understand that Azmodan needs the last hit on minions. Though, as soon as I hit +70 then it doesn't matter since I can 1-shot minions and become infinitely strong :D

Semphis Rythorn

Rear Admiral
Aug 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Semphis_Rythorn
Well when you look at the 2 main mobas LoL and Dota 2 and you compare those 2 to Hots

1. No gold grind you farm exp as a team hence the laning phase is more or less annoying. you still have to function as a team however.
2. No need for items in the game your talents are basically your items/runes.
3. while the main objective is the same, you have different ways of getting there, where it be using the maps way (cannonfire or lasors) or get mercs to force a split and so fourth
4. its new so people will take a look at it.

also if we are gonna have a map editor for this game i expect someone to eventually make the Summoner's Rift map

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
If anyone wants a hots beta key just pm me i have 4 to spare first come first serve

the codes only work on US accounts
Its like fucking 5man chess and when played right, and played well enough, grants you a giant raging hard chub. At least for me. Now, this is coming from the most hardcore FPS player ever and LoL hater extraordinaire. I mean it, I have talked more shit about LoL and dota and moba players than anyone else in the history of gaming. For the longest time I refused to play something so lame, something akin to farmville or candy crush in my mind.

Then I was convinced by a buddy from BenQ to form and fund an LCS League team a couple years back and the team was really, really good. Had a Challenger and all D1 guys on the team. They played extremely well. They could have competed with any of the LCS NA Teams on a good night. However, they were young, and dumb, and I ended up in court with them due to a breach of contract before the beginning of season 4. This taught me a few valuable lessons but here I am, putting another team together and getting super serious about it.

So yeah, I will be playing Mobas but I'm still going to say it, "Mobas are gay, and you are all gay for playing them" [Then heads over to boot-up LoL and rank up to 30 as quick as possible]. Honestly, I think my wife barely stomachs me playing Space Games, Moba's are not going to get me any marital BJ's or Handy's thats for sure.

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
Its like fucking 5man chess and when played right, and played well enough, grants you a giant raging hard chub. At least for me. Now, this is coming from the most hardcore FPS player ever and LoL hater extraordinaire. I mean it, I have talked more shit about LoL and dota and moba players than anyone else in the history of gaming. For the longest time I refused to play something so lame, something akin to farmville or candy crush in my mind.

Then I was convinced by a buddy from BenQ to form and fund an LCS League team a couple years back and the team was really, really good. Had a Challenger and all D1 guys on the team. They played extremely well. They could have competed with any of the LCS NA Teams on a good night. However, they were young, and dumb, and I ended up in court with them due to a breach of contract before the beginning of season 4. This taught me a few valuable lessons but here I am, putting another team together and getting super serious about it.

So yeah, I will be playing Mobas but I'm still going to say it, "Mobas are gay, and you are all gay for playing them" [Then heads over to boot-up LoL and rank up to 30 as quick as possible]. Honestly, I think my wife barely stomachs me playing Space Games, Moba's are not going to get me any marital BJ's or Handy's thats for sure.
This sounds like a script by an average student majoring in cinematography

Reactions: CitizenDad

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
This sounds like a script by an average student majoring in cinematography
Average? Why thanks you for the compliment. No one has ever said something so nice :)

Oh I am downloading Heroes on to all the Computers here at TEST NW.

CrimsonCyclist

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2014
RSI Handle
CrimsonCyclist
I have to agree here: I don't get the long term appeal of MOBAs or understand why they are so popular. They come across as really repetitive and it seems the only goal is to just earn all of the characters, then all of their alternate outfits and silly hats and shit like that. I'm not blind to the competitive aspect of it, but after running though all the maps in HotS a few times and trying out all of the different modes, I can't say there was enough replay value to make me want to spend a hundred hours in it or even a dozen more.

And this is coming from a guy who has been playing the same maps over and over again in Arena Commander for almost a year now. There's something for everyone, I suppose. ;)
As someone who's played LoL since season 1, it's as you say the competitive aspect that keeps drawing me back. A good game can feel like a game of chess almost, there's a deep level of skill, strategy and team work needed to win in ranked.

It helps that riot is a really good company that works with it's lore and it's community really well, for instance the effort they put into their recent and in fact every April Fool's joke was immense and really well received.

But yeah due to the competitive nature and an unfortunate amount of immaturity (which I have seen a slow but progressive improvement on) in most communities mobas are never going to be to everyone's tastes.

CrimsonCyclist

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2014
RSI Handle
CrimsonCyclist
I also have 4 keys for Heroes of the Storm if anyone wants any, only for EU Battle.net account region though. I haven't gotten around to trying the game out myself yet though.

Reactions: TypeO

TypeO

Space Marshal
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Privateer
I have 2 beta codes for EU to give away also.

Forgot your password?