Hi all, Why are most of the members not on Discord?

Superkazy

Captain
Nov 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Abes Oddysee
Hi there,

Just want to bring up a topic here that would just be beneficial and fun all round.

Want to find out why only the same handful of people on discord yet we are so much bigger.

I would like to find out who my fellow testies are and get to know you guys before we hit the full live version of Star citizen.

So don't be shy guys join in on discord it will be great to hear your voices and listen what your life stories are.

If you can't join in on discord let me know with a reply ,maybe we can help you out :)

Regards
Kazy

Reactions: CosmicTrader

EpilepticCricket

Space Marshal
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
EpilepticCricket
The members that are highly active on the forums are a very small representation of the entire org as well. We're over 8,000 members strong, but there's only a few dozen people on here and Discord. Additionally, there are some people that are frequently on Discord that almost never post here. I'm sure that as the game gets closer to launch many people will return and we'll see a bump in member activity. Both on Discord and the forums and once it fully launches we'll have a situation more like this.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
I agree. This is a perfect time to get to know your fellow TESTies. Make friends, have lots of laughs and maybe get some help with thingies. (whatever).

Reactions: Blind Owl

MzHartz

Vice Admiral
May 24, 2015
RSI Handle
MzHartz
I agree. This is a perfect time to get to know your fellow TESTies. Make friends, have lots of laughs and maybe get some help with thingies. (whatever).
"Thingies"? ;)

Some people don't like voice chatting in general, and I can understand that. I have an aversion to phones, so voice chat can be too close to that sometimes for me.

I'm guessing some people don't realize there's also an active text chat on Discord that you can participate in even when you don't feel like talking, or can't.

Also, I know I've had a lot of antisocial days lately, where juggling a conversation with multiple people just seems like too much. I bet I'm not alone in that.

Frisbeerocker

Commissar
May 31, 2014
RSI Handle
Frisbeerocker87
Got on discord once
Then the fire nation attacked
Yea, that happens sometimes.

We generally assume 5-10% activity on the forums and discord. Even 5% is 400 people, which seems about right.

As we've talked about in the past, to increase activity we need to produce content. Make silly videos or montages of a TEST play session. It falls on those of us that are active to show others we are active, thus encouraging them to join I. the fun.

Montoya should be making a new vid on the subject soon.

Superkazy

Captain
Nov 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Abes Oddysee
Well though ive never seen more than 30 people in gen chat and thats not even 1% of entire members ...and today people flew a full retaliator crew so there is no excuse to jump in once in a while to check whats up...and I can call the people by name who are on comms regularly ...tbh then people you learn now and talk with now in a large corp like this will the people you will fly with in the verse regularly. Where as if you only login and try to meet new people at once full release , its going to be tough since you first need to find where you fit and whom you get along with most...also it's fun to talk to people and make funny jokes at old men (cosmic) :D ...and i would love meet most of the members...even MzHartz says she is antisocial but she gets into the gen chat also.

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
"Thingies"? ;)

Some people don't like voice chatting in general, and I can understand that. I have an aversion to phones, so voice chat can be too close to that sometimes for me.

I'm guessing some people don't realize there's also an active text chat on Discord that you can participate in even when you don't feel like talking, or can't.

Also, I know I've had a lot of antisocial days lately, where juggling a conversation with multiple people just seems like too much. I bet I'm not alone in that.
This. So much this. I love y'all, but sometimes I just don't wanna talk. I'm usually very active on the forums, but voice comms are a sometimes thing.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
This is true of pretty much all orgs, except for super small ones that require constant activity to be allowed in the org. The vast, vast majority of people who purchase star citizen bought an aurora and haven't been back on the webpage since. Most people just want to wait for the game to come out before getting into it. Combine this with the fact that we operate in all time zones, and only a small percentage of people will be on at any given time. We're probably the most active org in star citizen in terms of chat, voice comms and forum visits (excluding probably the goons, but they're a bit different, in that they only recruit from the huge forums on SA). When the real game hits, there will be vastly more people, but even then it won't be nearly all of them.

Daak Seed

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
daak-seed
This. So much this. I love y'all, but sometimes I just don't wanna talk. I'm usually very active on the forums, but voice comms are a sometimes thing.
Indeed! In my case I have very limited time to play so i jump straight to PTU when I can hoping to meet someone from TEST there

But actually there are other things.
1) There is no way to know who is who right now in the game. I used to call for TEST members every time I was entering an instance but eventually stopped. I never received a response back so far.

2) I tried to manually enter ppl from TEST to contact list to see when they are online so i can join them. Maybe of time difference , but again i never encountered testies online in the PTU.

Only exception: i recognised CosmicTrader only after we played AC together today.

3) Discussions that take place both in discord & forum are mostly about casual stuff & game lore. Not so much about ppl exploring PTU and having fun together.

Again, I am new to the org and it is just my opinion.

Reactions: CosmicTrader

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
"Thingies"? ;)

Yeah lately with my migraines I have been sticking to mostly text :P so I can still annoy all my favorite people ^_^

Ocean

Rear Admiral
Jul 20, 2015
RSI Handle
0cean
You don't know me... you don't /Know/ me

Honestly the few times i have tried even before discord its been pulling teeth to actually get others to want to play or do something star citizen wise... not to mention the stability of the game is questionable for others. honestly when it takes about an hour and a half to run a 20 min arena commander co-op....it kinda turns people off.

not to mention a good group of people use discord to play other games currently. (Not saying that is bad that is actually good) there is only just so many games of Cards against Montoya you can take really.

but a turn off for me is when i log on a few times its been nothing but politics trash.....its a wonder why i log in and then log right the hell out...

Its almost like the "Main" entry channel needs to not be the dumping ground of what ever anyone wants to say

Or better yet. maybe we can post rules to what channel does what? because i thought the "G-Loc" was the place for that talk and not detour people from rolling their eyes and just logging out.

but what do i know. we still do not have a game yet and everything is just waiting for when that moment goes active ^.^

people want to use it should use it. but it should never be a forced aspect for being part of the group. in fact we will see traffic go crazy once the game actually launches and we will be seeing multi-crew ships/armadas/strike groups taking up rooms easily.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Getting a 5-10% activity rate at this point in time is pretty much to be expected.

The game does not work for most people, its constantly crashing (until the next live patch comes out!) and only the most hardcore are braving this experience.

When major milestones are released, activity jumps, but even then, a large majority of the dormant members here will only awaken from their slumber when we have a playable game!

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

Bigcracker

Space Marshal
Feb 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Bigcracker8789
I usually just read general chat in discord at the moment. When the game becomes bigger I will grace the community with my angelic south Philadelphian accent.

Reactions: BOX3R
Forgot your password?