• Poll closed .

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Hornets Attack! - Ship Talk #10: The Hornets

Well here is #10. Honestly I didn't think it would go this far so the fact that it has and the positive support from all of you, thank you. I'll get to this more at the end but just want to say thank you to all of you in TEST who read this. Welcome back to Ship Talk! For those of you new to this series(where have you been? Seriously where?), Ship Talk is where I take the current on paper stats for a group of ships similar in either role or hull, analyze them, and give my own thoughts on how they compare to each other. Below you can find links to previous Ship Talks and Ship Talk Commentary:

Ship Talk #1 - Exploring the Unknown: The top 4 Exploration Ships
Ship Talk #2 - Aurora Rain: All about the MVP of TEST, the Aurora + Variants
Ship Talk #3 - Squadron Reporting - Ship Talk #3 'Fighters' Part 1
Ship Talk #3 - Squadron Reporting - Ship Talk #3 'Fighters' Part 2
Ship Talk #4 - Cargo Cult: The Cargo Haulers
Ship Talk #5 - Avast Me Hearties! - Ship Talk #5: The Cutlass
Ship Talk #6 - Goin Freelance: The Freelancers
Ship Talk #7 - The Redeemer
Ship Talk #8 - Wild Horses: The Mustangs
Ship Talk #9 - Stars Above: The Constellations

The Aegis Vanguard - Ship Talk Commentary #1
The Hull Series - Ship Talk Commentary #2

The Hornet series has been with us since the beginning. Like the Freelancer or Constellation it was there on day 1 and was the first ship we ever saw in the pitch video Chris Roberts made when he wanted to start Star Citizen. The Hornet has seen numerous changes since we first saw it but always for the better and you can see it if you go back and look. The Hornet may be the most iconic fighter of Star Citizen and it will continue to be needed by everyone from NPCs to players to organizations because it is a tough little ship that can get the job done.

I think the Hornet was my 2nd ship and I got it because it 'looked cool' like all the ships I have now. This Talk won't discuss the military variant of the Hornet because not only can you not get it but the upgrade that was around back then was only a body kit and did not improve any of the capabilities of the ship you applied it to. Now I've Talked in the past about the Hornet and Super Hornet in ST#3 so many things I say here will be a rehash(I apologize in advance) of that with the addition of the Ghost and Tracker.

My Thoughts on the Ships(Hornet, Hornet Ghost, Hornet Tracker, Super Hornet)

General Thoughts on Stats

First let me acknowledge again that these stats and listed equipment are all subject to change. However, unless something drastic occurs in testing I would expect these stats to still give a good overall direction and capability for each ship. Below is a link to a composite picture I made with all the stats listed from the RSI site:

All Hornet Stats

Descriptions and Roles

For the Roles you'll see that they are all dedicated to fighting in some form or fashion. You have Civilian Close Support, Infiltration, Scout/Command and Control and finally Space Superiority. For the Hornet, it is the civilian version of the Hornet but I'll refer to it as just the Hornet because the Military one in unattainable. Lets go to the Hornet Description.

From this I think it is a tough ship not unlike the Aurora but larger, more capable and certainly more destructive. The 'foundation' comment to me means it will be easy to upgrade however you may want to gear it toward a specific task you have in mind. For the 'weapon never to be underestimated' comment that means to me that it can be surprisingly maneuverable for its size and it can turn the tide of battle with its tenacity. Lets move on to the Ghost.

Even before we get to anything else the description tells us in no uncertain way that the ship is made for stalking around in the background so it won't be noticed. I like this. I think we need more 'stealth' capable ships like this for intel gathering. The rest of the description doesn't tell us much. If we go by the color of the ship it may be difficult to see visually and not alert people if they can't see it, even though it may blip on the radar. Now the Tracker.

The Hornet Tracker seems to be a good ship to FIND things and people in space. Advanced sensor suite ideal for space explorers is not unlike the scanners found on the Cutlass Red or Freelancer DUR along others but may serve a more narrow function to only find ships perhaps. The comment about Command and Control is one of the only times we see this pop up. Can we feed sensor data to a Tracker for some purpose that allows for better hunting or better assessment of the battle? I don't know but it is an interesting thing to consider and not to be ignored because command ships in Eve Online could turn battles. Now the Super Hornet.

So from this we can easily gather that it is the most powerful of the Hornets. It is as near Military spec as you can get without stealing the military version. The second seat is a welcome addition so the pilot can focus more on flying the ship than trying to kill things. 2 heads are better than one after all. The spoken of ball turret will give you more dakka to play with.

Structural and Propulsion

It is good to note that these fighters are quite large just going off the numbers with the Super Hornet being the longest due to the extra seat. Now it is unfortunate that none of these ships have a cup holder of any kind. The Super Hornet however provides a solution! Put a keg in the 2nd seat and run a hose down to your pilot chair and enjoy a cool refreshing beverage while you fight enemies of TEST! I'll stop now.

Starting at the top we have cargo. The only ship of the line that can carry any sort of cargo is the basic Hornet due to a cargo addition that installs where the ball turret would go. The cargo capacity itself is an odd number: 13. Does this make the Hornet a cargo carrying ship? No. At best it means you can carry a small bit of supplies, maybe your toolkit or a couple kegs to the carrier or station above the planet but you won't be carrying anything serious. Of course until we can actually play with the cargo system then this is just speculation.

Moving down every ship is a one seater except the Super which can carry 2. For power plants you get a good Class 3 with the Super again getting one better with a Class 4. For engines it is an across the board match with a single TR4 providing. For thrusters there are 8 TR2s and for the shielding it is the same across with a Class 4 shield.

Not many differences here due to the ships being form the same base so they share MANY attributes.

Weapons

So you want to blow things up. You think you need more firepower so you got a Hornet. You did well. Most of this is the same so I'll hit the highlights and you can look at the picture above for the things that are the same. First of all the Hornet can take a Cargo Replacement in place of the ball turret giving it the 13 SCU of capacity. Like the Hornet the Tracker swaps out the Ball Turret area for an advanced Radar giving it its abilities. Finally the Super gets the ball Turret to mount a couple Size 2 weapons. The Ghost lists a Size 2 something but I believe this is either unfinished or a mistake. Overall on any of them you have a great deal of firepower at your disposal.

Equipment

Like the Weapons there isn't much difference here. The Hornet gets the Big Box(Model H) Cargo Replacement module. The Ghost gets an interesting SheerSteel Armor Refit giving it the steal capabilities it boasts while the Super Hornet comes stock with a Leaper Jump Engine. Since it is not listed I am unsure if the Ghost or Tracker also get a jump engine stock or if you have to fit one on. It is likely the base Hornet will probably make you upgrade it to have a Jump Engine due to it being a short range ship. Either way you probably won't have much fuel to make more than a couple jumps without refueling.

Continued Below....

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
The Long and the Short

F7C Hornet - So you had an Aurora and then wanted something better. You made completely the wrong decision because nothing is better than an Aurora(except a Reliant so my statement is false). Kidding aside the Hornet is your first serious dogfighter that looks and has the stats of one. I personally don't see the ship being used for cargo runs but I suppose you Could do that. It isn't a fast ship by any means because of this but an ace pilot will use its slow speed to trick opponents by accelerating at the last moment or strafing out of the way. Many people want a fast and very maneuverable ship but others want a more reliable ship that won't let them down and the Hornet can be that for many people. Despite being the 'civilian' version the ship has firepower. Its shield is good enough to allow for protracted engagements against smaller craft. Even form the first kickstarter video this ship is a fighter.

F7C-S Hornet Ghost - So far the only entry into the 'stealth' field in Star Citizen the Ghost aims to do just that. The SheerSteel Armor Refit is probably what gives the Ghost its capability of diffusing scans the other components will bring its profile even lower. Note that the Void Armor of the description is now the SheerSteel armor equipment and it has not been updated in a long time. I am very excited for the Ghost. While not giving us true cloaking tech like Eve Online I see the Ghost being invaluable as a scout and going on sabotage missions behind enemy lines. Until we know more about this all we can say is that the Ghost is very dark and blends in well with space.

F7C-R Hornet Tracker - Another gem of a ship often overlooked because its full capabilities have yet to be realized and that is Command and Control. As of yet we know nothing about this except it should be possible to feed data from a Tracker to a capital ship equipped with the appropriate equipment to see the battlefield in much more detail. The ship itself is no slouch though and is easily able to defend itself as well as the basic Hornet. The Advanced Sensor Suite seems to be similar to something found on a Cutlass Red or a dedicated exploration ship but may be different in some way or maybe not. I see the Tracker as being a small group command ship more than anything. The description also says it can be a scout and it very well may be but a Ghost may be preferred. Good ship and looking forward to it being fleshed out in the PU.

F7C-M Super Hornet - So you like the Hornet but didn't think it had enough buzz so you got a Super Hornet instead. It is a dedicated dogfighter with specs that almost align with those of the military Hornet. One on One it can take on anything of similar size and below and expect to win. It has been sold numerous times in limited sales but isn't a permanent store edition. It was originally supposed to be 'THE ship" to get but has had its lightning stolen by other ships as they have been brought online, sold, and put in Arena Commander. Still a solid ship but it seems to have lost its mojo as of late. With improved multi crew functionality it may see a comeback but I've read in places that since it was put in AC for good it has seen a nerfing for being 'too good'. Still you could do far worse. The Super is able to operate independently due to the Leaper Jump Drive but more than likely has very low fuel capacity. I would expect to see these in major fleet battles all over the galaxy.

Have Your Say

Those of you that have used these ships in Arena Commander, what do you think of them? Good? Bad? Meh? Tell us what you think below. I'm very much looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts on the ships.

Closing Thoughts and Future Ship Talk

The Hornet Ship Talk rounds out another line of ships in Star Citizen. Overall I liked this one more than a few others I've done like the Mustangs because they have been around so long so we have more information on them. I particularly like how the cockpit has evolved over time form a very blocky one you'd find in a console game to a very sleek and functional one you'd find on a modern fighter. I have a Super Hornet that I got from a grey market trade and still like to look at it on my Hangar page. New computer coming this summer! Promise! Even when I can play AC I won't write about how the ships feel to me in the game because that would truly make these quite long and it is even more subjective than my interpretation of numbers on a website. Thos of you who do fly these ships often in AC please post your thoughts on them so we can have a more complete picture.

The next Ship Talk will be a Commentary on the Reliant followed soon by a normal Talk comparing all 3 Starter Ships. I'm hoping to have that one out before next Friday before the Reliant sale is almost over. After that though I'll be taking a break again so I can finish my redone and expanded Rock Raiders write-up and after that I'll be doing the 890 Jump. Its something different I haven't written about before and I'm interesting in seeing how that goes or if there is even enough to write about which I hope there is.

So if you haven't seen it the Reliant sale is up. It is billed as a mini-hauler and I like the design so much I got 3. One to keep standard and 2 more for Variants and that's all I'll say on it for now until Sunday when I post the Commentary.

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed it. I still can't believe I've done 10 of these now. I'm looking forward to doing more still. Thanks again!

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I would've held off buying my Super Hornet if I'd known it didn't have cup holders

I can't be spilling drinks all over the cabin, it's not the Test way

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
My one issue is the power plant, it takes longer to recharge 4 repeaters (2x Bulldogs & 2x Badgers) than to recharge the same guns on the Gladiator. I can do more damage in the Gladiator than the Hornet. And that's not counting missiles.

Kersakov

Rear Admiral
Donor
Apr 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Kersakov
I've got a Hornet as a placeholder for my Vanguard and I love it, probably my favorite ship to fly.
I definately intent to get either a Ghost or a Tracker in the PU but I can't decide which quite yet. I rented a Ghost and my mate said he could physically see me hovering in AC but couldn't pick me up with his radar so that was a lot of fun but at the same time if the C&C is done well, I'll have to get myself a Tracker. Eh, I'll probably end up with both...

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I've always kinda liked the Hornet, but not hugely. I'm not sure why. I gladly acknowledge that it is a good fighter, but something about it I don't love. This is extra strange considering how much I like the Gladiator, which resembles it in so many ways. Regardless, it's a heavy fighter that will take a beating and still bring you home safe.

Semphis Rythorn

Rear Admiral
Aug 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Semphis_Rythorn
Im ok with the hornet, its in the middle for me. though i will say this

F7C-M Hornet is NOT A MILITARY HORNET FOR THE LOVE OF BEER. You basically have a 2 seater hornet with about 60-70% of the F7A Hornet which is the military hornet. Sorry about that its just since people have a hardon for anything that says milspec i sorta have to sort them out.

Jack Firebaugh

Rear Admiral
Jun 20, 2014
RSI Handle
JackFirebaugh
HORNET KEGSTAND!

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Im ok with the hornet, its in the middle for me. though i will say this

F7C-M Hornet is NOT A MILITARY HORNET FOR THE LOVE OF BEER. You basically have a 2 seater hornet with about 60-70% of the F7A Hornet which is the military hornet. Sorry about that its just since people have a hardon for anything that says milspec i sorta have to sort them out.
So, what if I told you my hardon is milspec?

Forgot your password?