• Poll closed .

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Ship Talk #7 - The Redeemer

Welcome back to Ship Talk! For those of you new to this series, Ship Talk is where I take the current on paper stats for a group of ships similar in either role or hull, analyze them, and give my own thoughts on how they compare to each other. Below you can find links to previous Ship Talks and Ship Talk Commentary:

Ship Talk #1 - Exploring the Unknown: The top 4 Exploration Ships
Ship Talk #2 - Aurora Rain: All about the MVP of TEST, the Aurora + Variants
Ship Talk #3 - Squadron Reporting - Ship Talk #3 'Fighters' Part 1
Ship Talk #3 - Squadron Reporting - Ship Talk #3 'Fighters' Part 2
Ship Talk #4 - Cargo Cult: The Cargo Haulers
Ship Talk #5 - Avast Me Hearties! - Ship Talk #5: The Cutlass

The Aegis Vanguard - Ship Talk Commentary #1
The Hull Series - Ship Talk Commentary #2

Well with all the stuff happening last week and the weekend I decided to tone it down and only do one ship: The Redeemer. There really isn't another ship that is really comparable to the Redeemer right now except maybe the Cutlass but only in the way that both can do boarding actions well. The 'gunship' role has been a neglected one and only the Redeemer currently fits it as it was designed to do. As you all know the Redeemer was the winner of The Next Great Starship last year and it was put into the hangar last year as well. You can purchase it in the store for 250 dollars. If you were lucky enough to buy one when it went up for sale to begin with then you have LTI on yours.

This is a ship I like and have wanted to talk about for a while like the Freelancers. I personally voted for this ship every time it came up. If you don't like it for the look or some other reason, that's cool. The great thing about Star Citizen is the masses of ships we currently have and continue to get so you can like the ships you want to without being limited to a few choices. I know many many people liked the Boomslang and I liked the exterior(but not the interior) of that ship and we may yet see it but for now we have the Redeemer.

A Note on Cargo

As many of you know the new cargo specs were released Tuesday along with the Hull B Q&A and have been updated on the ship spec page in general. Some of these changes made me very happy and others like the Taurus got kicked in the balls with steel toe boots. The Redeemer has been missing its cargo stat for a long time and now has one. The pictures provided were created before the stat was listed on the Spec page and I apologize. Overall I'm happy we have some real concrete information now on cargo and I will be doing a rework of my Cargo Cult Ship Talk at some point down the road.

My Thoughts on the Ship(The Redeemer)

General Thoughts on Stats

First let me acknowledge again that these stats and listed equipment are all subject to change. However, unless something drastic occurs in testing I would expect these stats to still give a good overall direction and capability for each ship. Below is a link to a composite picture I made with all the stats listed from the RSI site:

Redeemer Stats

Description and Role

The Redeemer bills itself as a powerful ship capable of going into battle and holding its own. It features turrets and missiles and can deploy soldiers in the heat of battle. The gunship role itself has been missing from Star Citizen and has only been filled so far by this ship alone though we may get others later. I also believe this ship to be very multi-functional but more on that later.

Structure and Propulsion

First of all this ship is rather large but it has to be for its intended mission. The profiles it presents are all very vulnerable to fire, especially the main engines. The front profile is the only one where the ship appears somewhat small but also allows it to bring all its weapons to bear. If you see one of these coming toward you at full speed, stop drop and roll to get on its side, top, or bottom and hit it where it hurts any way you can.

The cargo capacity while not listed here due to my taking this before the update is a full 24 SCU without marines on board and 12 with them. It is interesting to note here that the tail cargo section and marine bay seem to function as 2 separate 12 SCU cargo areas. The tail section also includes a cargo crane for easy loading. While I don't expect the Redeemer to be any sort of cargo runner I can see it carrying weapons and supplies for the team of Marines to use for combat. Perhaps you can use the cargo crane to drop the supplies as you drop the marines before flying off? Just a thought.

The crew for the Redemer is a full 5 people. If you remember TNGS you'll recall that the Redeemer has a single pilot in the cockpit. Behind him in the engine room were a pair of consoles and of course the two turret gunners. What the consoles are I don't have any idea but they would be essential to the overall ship operation due to its size. This is a weighty need for the Redeemer and not one to be taken lightly. On the other hand, if you drop all your marines and land the ship you 'could' have 5 additional people that could suit up for combat bringing the total to 11. This would be very risky but it should be possible.

The power plant on the Redeemer can be upgraded to a very nice Class 6. I feel this is one of the first things you should update when you buy a new ship because you won't have to worry about your power grid after you do until you start upgrading other systems.

Moving down we come to the engines. The main engines located on each side of the ship are TR5s. While CIG has recently stated again that the Thrust Rating is indicative of the thrust it outputs and not its size it does beg the question on whether or not any of the other ships have accurate engine ratings. We'll have to wait and see. The Hull E for example has TR13 engines. There may come a time soon where all of those stats are reworked as well.

The Redeemer has 12 TR2 thrusters. I don't expect the thrusters to allow the ship to be able to maneuver as good as say a Cutlass or Freelancer due to how those ships main engines are set up but the Redeemer should be able to maneuver somewhat well in keeping with its Gunship role.

Finally the shield is a reasonable class 6. This should provide ample protection from any smaller craft and allow it to stand against ships of equal size. Coupled with its firepower, very few things will be able to take it down before it can kill them.

Weapons

It is good to note here that these weapon stats are not the originals presented in TNGS. It used to have fewer weapons until Chris Roberts decided to buff it. It now seems more like a GUNship. Getting to the weapons themselves we see that it has no fixed of gimbaled weapons. I like this. Like the Freelancer this means you have more flexibility when it comes to engaging your target because they do not necessarily have to be right in front of you to shoot them. Under the 'wings' you have a couple Size 2 missile racks good for making fighters think twice before they suddenly find themselves without engines or pilots.

For the unmanned turrets you have the Size 3 underneath the cockpit in the front and a Size 4 on each of the engine nacelles to give coverage that way. For the manned turrets on the top and bottom of the ship they each get a Size 3 weapon. Together these weapons provide a very nice mix with a range of options.

Equipment

Although no special equipment is listed I think it is safe to assume that it at least comes stock with a Jump Engine of some kind. The cargo crane in the tail section may also count in some way to assist in loading. I'll get to this more in the summary but I think the ship has a lot of potential for other roles thanks to CIG wanting to really make these ships modular.

Continued below....

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
The Long and the Short

The Redeemer - Like I said at the beginning: I like this ship. I see it having many uses beyond the typical role but that's because of its design. Several areas in the ship are ripe for switching out for other rooms such as a medical facility to treat wounded marines or holding cells for bounty hunting and maybe even a mapping suite for those that want to go exploring with some firepower to back them up. I see it being very multifunctional if it is upgraded to user spec.

For the ship as it is I don't think you can go wrong. As I said before you can at least have 11 people ready to fight if you include the crew themselves. The internal weapons lockers and cargo area provide ample room for supplies while the weapons onboard can clear out any initial dropoff area. I see this ship not only as a drop ship but as an in space boarding ship with the hatch below the marine area. For combat worthiness I believe this is a ship that can hold its own. As I said before the weapons are just a good mix. With the weapons listed I can see it being a good fighter flyswatter.

I know the engines have always caused controversy since they were introduced and even CR didn't like them at first but he seems to have at least become neutral to them. I personally like the look of the nacelle engines because they may make the ship a bit more stealth worthy as they vent their heat directly into space and not allow it to build up at all. If CIG ever makes Redeemer variants then I would the engines would be a big focus to make them different.

If you find yourself up against a larger ship of some kind but you know they have fewer people than you do. GO FOR BOARDING! Seriously go steal their ship. It'll be fun.

Closing Thoughts

I had a great deal of fun writing this and I hope you enjoyed reading it. If you're looking to do a lot of FPS action and I know a lot of you are because of that thread in Professions, then this should be a ship that is high on your list to get. Even if you're not interested in that it is still a very solid ship for the reasons I mentioned above and I believe it will be able to fill a variety of additional roles.

The next Ship Talk was going to be the Constellations but I remember hearing that we'd get new info on those next week so I will probably do the Mustangs. If I'm wrong about this please let me know. I haven't really decided yet. I would also like to do the Gladiator and Retaliator but you'll have to wait and see. I'm literally running out of ships to Talk about lol!

Because of recent updates to the Cargo Capacity figures I will at some point go back and revise and update my Talk on the cargo ships. I don't know when I will do this but when it happens it will be a 2 part Talk like the Fighters.

JBWill

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 11, 2014
RSI Handle
JBWill
I've got the Redeemer with LTI, and I can't wait until I can actually use it. Personally even though I'm interested in FPS combat, I'll probably drop the marine seats as I don't know how much I see that being useful (though if we get into the PU and it winds up that it IS super useful, I'll keep them). The dev blog on modularity that used the Redeemer as an example got me all kinds of hot and bothered. I'm thinking about potentially trying to outfit my Redeemer as an EWAR or maybe C&C platform, but I'm really just waiting to see what all of the options are and how effective they are.

The one major concern I have about the ship right now is the fact that the visibility in the manned turrets is absolutely godawful. I'm hoping it gets a little bit of a modeling pass on those to open them up a touch, but we'll see. I'm also interested to see them animated, because just looking at them stationary, it doesn't seem like they'd be able to traverse up/down very far (unless I missed seeing those animated at some point during TNGS, which is entirely possible).

Reactions: Black Sunder

Semphis Rythorn

Rear Admiral
Aug 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Semphis_Rythorn
Ok my honest opinion about the redeemer (yes flame fucking on)

I DESPISE the design of the ship, to me this ship does not scream aegis, hell it doesn't even scream SC ship. This ship to me is nothing but some goddam horrible abomination Anime Nutcracker Fish, honestly look at the shape from the top it looks like a fish..... . The obvious flaw is the fucking nutcracker engines, you can try to explain it to me how it makes sense, but it doesn't fit in the SC universe at all. This goddam horrible design is a ship i will never get in the PU, i rather get a Constellation and mod the hell out of it and make it a Gunship/Troop Transport than take that thing. Hell i hate it more due to the "live vote" debacle and QQ for more guns.

Putting that aside, the turrets honestly have poor visibility, especially the lower turret, I feel that was a poorly design choice. The interiors of the ship feels very cramped and it looks like serveral thing slapped together as an interior, also the cockpit feels very hmm closed off. I saw a video of the updated boomslang and i can tell these guys made an effort in the interior, and the cockpits feel more open than the redeemers.

But yes i have no interest in the redeemer, and i will never get it in the PU.

Reactions: thanatos73

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I had a Redeemer. There were some parts I liked, and some I didn't. I agree with Semphis, it didn't feel like an Aegis vessel, but I liked the split level layout with the marine bay below, and the living quarters above. I have doubts about how good of a gunship it will be. It has lots of turrets and missiles, but it is also large and bulky to contain troops. I don't expect it to be very maneuverable. I feel like it can probably take down lighter ships pretty well, but anything in its own weight class will pretty well wipe the floor with it. And I just can't get over the engines, I don't like them at all. I melted my Redeemer a while back and bought my Retaliator Poor Life Choices in its place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tooterfish

Kersakov

Rear Admiral
Donor
Apr 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Kersakov
I actually quite like the design of the engine nacelles but that is about as far as my like of it goes, which is a shame as I'm looking for a gunship-type vessel to get. I find it a bit bulbous and with that tail as well, I feel like it should be in a C&C Red Alert Game or something, not an SC Dropship.
It's very 'Soviet Helicopter' IMO which is MISC not Aegis.

Great talk as always though. Looking forward to the Connies.

Tooterfish

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Tooterfish
I'll be using my Redeemer as a missile boat and sold my MIS once I realized how capable it would be in this role.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Can't wait untill they technically re-do the Redeemer like they are doing Connies now (their 3rd time mind you).

I would expect it to get about 10% larger, and the turrets to be corrected and those "promissed" guns/turrets added to the sides so it is really a gunship that can crush Connies and anything that size.

The promissed stats before the latest resizing:
2 Class 1 Size 2 Hardpoints
2 Class 3 Size 4 Hardpoints
1 Class 4 Size 3 Hardpoints w/ Paired Weapons
2 Class 4 Size 4 Hardpoints w/ Paired Weapons
2 Class 5 Size 3 Hardpoints w/ Paired Weapons
Size 6 Shield Generator
Size 6 Power Plant
Total Guns: 12
Total Missiles: 10
Remind me if I have it wrong.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
I'll be using my Redeemer as a missile boat and sold my MIS once I realized how capable it would be in this role.
That is just it, it is not a missile boat by any stretch of immagination.
It is a gunship which kinda is the oposite of a misile boat. :D

Super Hornet = mini gunship
Gladiator = mini missile boat

Missile boats acheive killing by missiles primarily while gunboats do it with a great array of big guns.
They are not bothered by countermeasures etc, like misslie boats are.
And they do not run pit of missiles. (especially if you use power based guns instead of ballistics.)

Reactions: Tooterfish

Tooterfish

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Tooterfish
I agree with you 100%. However I think 20x S2's are going to be enough for me considering what I gain in place of the additional 12x S3 Missiles from the MIS. I don't know how amazeballs S3-S5 torpedo's/missiles will be but atm a difference of 20 and 32 missiles just wasn't enough to justify it. If somebody has raw numbers on damage from missiles in each class to compare would really put in perspective exactly how viable the redeemer is in comparison to other ships combat-wise, because 20 missiles is nothing to laugh at.

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
I agree with Raythorn, ITS AN ANIME SHIP!!!!!!!! If you yank the engines of the side, take a chainsaw to the nacelles, and duck tape some real engines on in their place, it "might?" work. And it, way, doesn't fit with the Aegis looks, no matter what you do. It looks like one of the Britonia ships from Freelancer mated with something from a Macross era anime.

OK, done ranting.....

Yes, a Mustang write up would be great, I actually like the Mustang line, and can't wait to see what the next Consolidated Outland ships look like.

Reactions: Semphis Rythorn

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Redeemer just looks downright sexy and fun. It seems like the ultimate mid-size group toy, grab a dozen buddies, blast your way into spider, dock, and start shooting up non-TEST pirates with ULTIMATE TACTICAL SQUAD BASED GAMEPLAY.

Sounds like a fun saturday to me :D will be earning one in the 'verse post haste!

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
It is a perfect ship to go out on a killing spree with a bunch of friends.
Having a blast (literally).

I can't wait to go out there with some of you.
Drunkards are preffered, send me a PM. :)

Liquor_and_ores

Space Marshal
Jun 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Liquor_and_Ores
The redeemer LTI sales was probably the only one I did not at least buy and melt to have it in the hanger log.

heavy forward fire power in a smallish package that can poop marines once you battered your target to hell

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Doubt they will.

Makes no sense for them to put in a ship with a same function as the redeemer, just to satisfy those who rooted for these instead of the Redeemer at TNGS.

Maybe they could repurpose some parts from those models and incororate it into some new ship that serves some other function,

And the poll is not even, it is 22 pro Redeemer and 9 against. :)

Semphis Rythorn

Rear Admiral
Aug 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Semphis_Rythorn
as much as people love the redeemer there are people who hate it as well. A solution i thought of was for the boomslang to also be a gunship/troop transport but differently

Redeemer: Walking Tank, Transport
Boomslang: Agile and Faster

Last edited:

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Instead of Boomslang get a Vanguard.
Way faster and deadlier I reckon.

Besides, Boomslang lost.

You have winners and looser, all cant be winners. :)

Forgot your password?