Horrible ways to die in space...

AltonAsteras

Rear Admiral
Nov 2, 2013
Nice SCP! I'm only up into the first hundred of those. Trying to read them all.
Heh, I remember binging through Series 1 a while back. Of course, I was finished when I got through the first thousand, but they had to go and write a thousand goddamn more. I'm behind, come to think.

Also, speaking of ways to die in space, check out Space Eldritch and its sequel. Among other things, humans are possessed by Borg-expy nanites, used as reproduction vessels by space demons, given magitek runes as part of a conspiracy to feed Yog Soggoth entire planets... and those are some of the easier ones. There was that one guy who got a mental implant with the memories of a thousand insane men before him, he turned out great, or the guy who managed to "dream" while in hyperspace...

Speaking of dreaming in hyperspace, Stephen King's "The Jaunt" provides a lovely picture of what happens if you stay awake while passing through a matter transporter. Y'see, matter moving through the Jaunt is teleported instantly through the magic of artificial wormholes, but sentient beings... come out wrong. It turns out that time doesn't really work in the Jaunt, and if you go in while conscious you'll experience an eternity of time where you have no sensory input. If you don't die of shock on emerging, you... well, let's just leave it at it's not pretty.
"LONGER THAN YOU THINK."
Eurgh. Still gives me chills.

Hyperspace is a scary place.

Last edited:

LuLu

Admiral
Nov 11, 2013
RSI Handle
DJLuLu
Speaking of dreaming in hyperspace, Stephen King's "The Jaunt" provides a lovely picture of what happens if you stay awake while passing through a matter transporter. Y'see, matter moving through the Jaunt is teleported instantly through the magic of artificial wormholes, but sentient beings... come out wrong. It turns out that time doesn't really work in the Jaunt, and if you go in while conscious you'll experience an eternity of time where you have no sensory input. If you don't die of shock on emerging, you... well, let's just leave it at it's not pretty.

Eurgh. Still gives me chills.

Hyperspace is a scary place.
Ever seen Event Horizon? Similar idea but going through wormholes... that kinda go to hell.

Reactions: AstroSam

TekTrixter

Space Marshal
Nov 14, 2013
RSI Handle
TekTrixter
Wake out of cryosleep a hundred years too early. Have to decide whether or not to use up the supplies your crew mates will need to survive at the destination. Imagine dieing of hunger, alone, in a storeroom full of food...

Magnumag

Commander
Nov 3, 2013
RSI Handle
Magnumag
Wake out of cryosleep a hundred years too early. Have to decide whether or not to use up the supplies your crew mates will need to survive at the destination. Imagine dieing of hunger, alone, in a storeroom full of food...
Sounds like something from the Allen Steele series called Coyote!

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Trimming expenses and running out of fuel on a deep-space run after losing comm in a fight with pirates.
Nonsense! All TEST Pilots are injected a comm system in their neural pathways that will never fail them!....unless you lost your head of course...

Randomis3rist

Ensign
Sep 15, 2016
RSI Handle
RANDOMIS3RIST
Anyone else here play Space Station 13? Some good ways to die there, like when I ejected the favourite doggo from the hangar and got ejected into space by a dude Role Playing as a priest.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Anyone else here play Space Station 13? Some good ways to die there, like when I ejected the favourite doggo from the hangar and got ejected into space by a dude Role Playing as a priest.
cool story bro

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon
I think one of the worst ways to die in space would be to have my Aurora blown up only a second away from ramming the bridge of an Idris...

Forgot your password?