How to fix Logitech webcam issue after Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Nightrider

Media Propaganda Czar
Jul 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Nightrider
How to fix Logitech webcam issue after Windows 10 Anniversary Update or
How to fix the webcam freezing issue on the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

The problem is caused by the Anniversary Update removing support for two video compression formats, including MJPEG and H.264 codecs on Windows 10, and opting to support YUY2 encoding instead.

Microsoft claims that the decision was made to prevent performance issues due to the change on how Windows Store apps can now access the camera features with the Anniversary Update.

---

How to resolve the freezing issue on webcams on the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Important: Before you make any changes to the registry, make sure to understand that these changes may cause irreversible damage to your current installation if they're not done properly. It's recommended that you do a full backup of your computer before proceeding. You've been warned!

1. Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command.

2. Type regedit, and click OK to open the Windows registry.

3. Browse the following path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform

4. Right-click on the right side, select New, and click DWORD (32-bit) Value.

5. Name the new key EnableFrameServerMode.

6. Click OK.

7. Double-click the newly created key and make sure it set to 0.

8. Click OK.

9. Restart your computer to complete the task.

Once your computer restarts test your USB camera one more time, perhaps making a Skype video call, and now you should no longer experience the freezing issue. Make a note of this change for later in September when the official fix comes out so you can undo this fix if necessary.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Windows 10 usb devices can cause strange problems if they are not win 10 drivers.
Pre win10 usb drivers don't necessarily follow win 10 rules and can cause conflicts.
Cortana may, in some cases, continue to load the non win 10 drivers even after the device drivers have been uninstalled and removed.
This is important for cams and mics especially since Cortana loads those drivers right away.
This is because cortana keeps ownership of the device driver files and they can't be removed when in use.
They can be replaced however by updating the cam. Alternately, one can "take ownership" of each individual conflicting file and delete them one at a time even while in use. This is a large project to accomplish using file and registry searches.
I am not saying non win10 drivers will not work with win10. They simply may not get along with other approved win10 usb drivers.
Most people will not notice any problems but in some cases, the old drivers will continually re-order usb devices.
Different usb devices following different rules is not pretty.
Your results will most likely vary.
I think in the end, the win10 way is the better way. One simply must use the proper devices and drivers to have a good experience.
No doubt many would say "I use this (or that) and I don't have any problems".
The moral of the story is I need a new mic and cam designed to work on Windows 10.

MzHartz

Vice Admiral
May 24, 2015
RSI Handle
MzHartz
Hm... I've been having problems with my cam freezing while streaming, and then when I try to fix it, Xsplit locks up entirely.

But I also know many people who are having problems with OBS crashing while streaming.

Related somehow?

NoTick

Commander
Sep 30, 2016
RSI Handle
NoTick
This happened to me as well (W/logitech C920 webcam).

I used a Driver Scrubber style program to wipe out the driver entirely and reinstalled. Haven't had an issue since.

Forgot your password?