How would star citizen backers feel about esports (racing, dogfighting, ship takeover, etc) in a separate game set in the SC universe like SQ42

Lordgarrett99

Admiral
Donor
Sep 30, 2019
RSI Handle
ELX987
I have had several chats with people about this subject and personally I feel that CIG, once they get the PU mostly stable in a few years and SQ42 is released, should consider adding an esports related game set in arenas in the verse that should be, in my opinion, F2P.

Why F2P?
1. Most esports games are F2P, which provides accessibility
2. The monetization model for cosmetics only would be especially cool for an arena-commander type dogfighting competition, as well as giving your FPS character cool looking guns to shoot and blow things up with
3. More players = more feedback = more ideas = way more cool things. And F2P would provide a huge boost to not only CIG’s dev capabilities but also provide more players to interact with in the PU

What are the cons of introducing a esports style game/games for CIG?

-need for dedicated Tournament budget (prize money, bookings for venues, etc etc..) which potentially cuts into dev money/salaries, but what’s an esports game withought professional esports

-the need to hire a possibly entirely different team to work on the esports project(s), maybe a subsidiary of CIG will be bought/created for the esports part of the Star citizen genre

-Chris Roberts would probably want to attend as many tournaments as he can, cutting into time for him to work with devs on the PU/SQ42

-there are many other issues but I think you all know sort of what they are.

HOWEVER... this doesn’t mean an esports part of star citizen would be impossible due to all the logistics and such. The backers hold a ton of power over star citizens future as well as SQ42, If enough people want a esports style game based off the verse, CIG will develop it. Probably through another crowdfunding effort as crowdfunding has worked REALLY well for star citizen

anyways. I’m off to bed, please do tell your ideas, your skepticisms, your complaints, your approvals, anything! I’d love to hear it/comment on it as this idea is amazing to me :)

signing off at 3:25am, lordgarrett99

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Huge NO from me.
First there would be fun, then soon ppl would come up with the meta, then everything would be "balanced" again and again and again to break up the meta, until we end up with ships, guns and armor that all feel and work exactly the same, thus ruining the game entirely.
This is what usually happens to titles that get the esports treatment. Think what happened to WoW because of the constant "balancing" for nothing but esports. Same with overwatch, one of the funnest most unique shooters on launch, boring garbage today.

Doing some yearly tournaments inside the game like the Daymar Rally is great. More stuff like that in AC and such is a good idea. But don't turn it into an official esport. It would only ruin the game.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I think Star citizen is trying to get rid of the current industry meta of rehashing shit games over and over again for kids?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
What is an Esport?

And if free to play is a plan for the game, there are so much more possibilities to have free accounts than just separate lightweight games (Like AC and Star Marine which I believe are to remain in the final game as games you can just play for the lolz when you don't wanna get permadead but want da pew pew pews.)

Imagine: You get yourself a free account and spawn at Lorville. You have nothing. Only the clothes on your back. You have to work from the ground up, starting on a hot-dog stand in the city, scrounging every UEC to be able to put out an ad for crew services on someones ship or scraping together enough credits to get a ground vehicle to do in and around the city deliveries and work. After weeks of low paid gigs, you have enough to finally get yourself an Aurora or a Mustang... and the game as everyone else has bought in to it with a paid account, then starts for you.

They could have licenses which only unlock your access to off-world, ship ownership etc once your own efforts in a certain area have been enough, so you won't be able to take advantage of the kindness of others without the Hurston Security coming after you and dragging you back down to the ground, even if it's being given a Dragonfly before time the security could come impound that nonsense until you'd grinded enough.

There are loads of other ways they could do it in 'Verse... I can't think of many, but I'm sure there are.

Last edited:

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Interesting topic. My two cents is that CIG already seems to have their hands full. I'd rather see them remain focused on SQ42 and SC. After SQ42 launches perhaps there will be sequels. And After SC launches, surely there will be ongoing development updates. My hunch is that keeps CIG fully occupied for a long time to come. When it comes to ESports. I'm guessing creative squadrons will be generating their own fun like this in Star Citizen proper anyway. The biggest thing missing will be the game automatically keeping score of competitions and rewarding it.

Lordgarrett99

Admiral
Donor
Sep 30, 2019
RSI Handle
ELX987
Thank you all for the replies thus far,

now I know how the community feels and, understandably, does not want a esport section of star citizen.

however I feel that in the future there will be a mod created (like CSGO from half life if I recall) where esports is the focus, modding is already prevalent in star citizen so yes this is highly possible and who knows if CIG adopts it one day?

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19

now I know how the community feels and, understandably, does not want a esport section of star citizen.

however I feel that in the future there will be a mod created (like CSGO from half life if I recall) where esports is the focus, modding is already prevalent in star citizen so yes this is highly possible and who knows if CIG adopts it one day?
Could I ask where modding is prevalent in SC?

If SC decides to even venture near esports, so many backers will have an outrage. SC is not a game for everyone, we all came in to the game knowing this. CIG will not cater to everyone and that's a good thing

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik

Yep, once the games are finished and a totally separate game comes along that is in some way derived from Star Citizen, as long as it does not effect the main games in any way, I'm fine with it. Cos then it's a separate game, just built on Star Citizen. You can esport it all you want. Like CS to HL, they have nothing to do with each other apart from originally using the same engine.

Reactions: Scape and mindfart

Lordgarrett99

Admiral
Donor
Sep 30, 2019
RSI Handle
ELX987

If SC decides to even venture near esports, so many backers will have an outrage. SC is not a game for everyone, we all came in to the game knowing this. CIG will not cater to everyone and that's a good thing
i disagree, not that CIG wont cater to 1 entity, we all know that they are independent of everyone else and only listen to everyone who backs them, but that backers would be mad. there might be a salty bit, but most people wouldn't care even if CIG adopted a esports mod as a seprate game for those interested.

Yep, once the games are finished and a totally separate game comes along that is in some way derived from Star Citizen, as long as it does not effect the main games in any way, I'm fine with it. Cos then it's a separate game, just built on Star Citizen. You can esport it all you want. Like CS to HL, they have nothing to do with each other apart from originally using the same engine.
that's how i see it as well, nothing to do with the main game/PU, however certain sports will be part of the game. A friend i just talked to said stuff about racing is a serious competition inside areas of star citizen as there will be race tracks later down the road. that seems amazing to me personally! and i also added there will be other competitions revolving around the PU once its released, I.E bounty leader-boards, first to a certain location, politics, etc etc.

Reactions: Scape

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
i disagree, not that CIG wont cater to 1 entity, we all know that they are independent of everyone else and only listen to everyone who backs them, but that backers would be mad. there might be a salty bit, but most people wouldn't care even if CIG adopted a esports mod as a seprate game for those interested.

that's how i see it as well, nothing to do with the main game/PU, however certain sports will be part of the game. A friend i just talked to said stuff about racing is a serious competition inside areas of star citizen as there will be race tracks later down the road. that seems amazing to me personally! and i also added there will be other competitions revolving around the PU once its released, I.E bounty leader-boards, first to a certain location, politics, etc etc.
Competitions are great! I want to see multiple yearly racing championships and such as well! Accessible to all players with the right ships and will to play!
But, I do not want to see any of those turned into an esport. There is a huge difference between competitive gameplay, and being an actual esport. because stated above reasons. It would ruin the game and competition for the vast majority (like 98%) of players as it always does, almost without exception (and the only game I can think of that wasn't entirely ruined by esports is Farming Sim lol) I don't want to see an "exploration" esport, or AC esport, or any of that nonsense either. Make it rewarding, thus making it competitive, fine. But nothing more.
So yeah, no thanks. No esports is the right way to go.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
You know the opinions of seven mighty TESTies, about 20% of whom don't know what Esporting is. Go in to Dischord even on TEST and I'm sure you'd get a different set of responses.

Remember the oldest backers of SC are those who pledged early on when SC was only riding off Chris Roberts reputation for having made the Wing Commander games, so some of the longest-time backers are, genuinely, not going to know what Esports is and the kind of backer you'll find on forums are the ones who prefer forums over other comms methods like Dischord etc as that's what they have using for decades. I have been using forums for over 20 years.

So... what's Esports?

Modding is mentioned in the original kickstarter, not sure if it was always intended or if it was a stretch goal.

Last edited:

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
Imagine: You get yourself a free account and spawn at Lorville. You have nothing. Only the clothes on your back. You have to work from the ground up, starting on a hot-dog stand in the city, scrounging every UEC to be able to put out an ad for crew services on someones ship or scraping together enough credits to get a ground vehicle to do in and around the city deliveries and work. After weeks of low paid gigs, you have enough to finally get yourself an Aurora or a Mustang... and the game as everyone else has bought in to it with a paid account, then starts for you.
Oh man, I would create a free account just for the experience. Also a great way to fill up the PU with real players doing jobs like cleaning, maintenance or running a hot-dog stand like you said haha.

Modding is mentioned in the original kickstarter, not sure if it was always intended or if it was a stretch goal.
Yeah it's in the 4M stretch goal. Also there will be private servers!

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
I think for the scope of what SC and SQ42 are, esports types of competition wont fit very well, but I feel Star Marine could evolve into something competitive once resource do free up and there is a community behind it. But that seems close to a decade or more out.

Reactions: Lordgarrett99

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
I see e-sports for S.C. being things like AC or SM. These are already modules for e-sports within the game universe, so I can see them being adapted to e-sports in the real world.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?