Huge news for our hearing impaired TESTies

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
@NKato I remember we had discussions earlier in development about how the game can incoporate stuff for hearing impared players:

America Sign Language emotes are being made into the game 😀😀😀

View: https://youtu.be/76fpL2RQDmI?t=813

Last edited:

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I dont believe the above mentioned member is a part of our org any longer
I just asked today in discord how he was (since ATV mentioned sign language, reminded me of him), was very glad to hear he's doing well.
Will miss him, his rants made discord spicy. 💗

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I dont believe the above mentioned member is a part of our org any longer. But yes, great news for those who use sign language!
Shame they left - diversity makes us stronger, but their choice 🙂

I hope they see this thread and it gives them a smile that whenever I see anyone using the signing I'll be remembering them.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
He didnt leave, he was banned...
I was unaware of this.

I'm sure a few warnings must have been given prior, one must live with the consequences of ones actions - In a roundabout way, if someone gets banned for their behavior following warnings, it is indeed their choice.

However, the sentiment still remains: Hurrah for having some deaf friendly implementation.

It's clear I am enthusiastic about this, but I am only partially deaf in my right ear (about 50%) so as far as imparment goes I am not actually effected as I can get buy okay. I would be interested to get the opinions from a few hearing impaired TESTies on this - do they game to get away from the hum-drum of every day and this is dragging them back to it, or is this a welcome development that can only lead to good things?

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Kudos that peeps get banned and the gentry don't have to hear about it nor the details like some old-wives group. It's emotionally satisfying to know there is some discipline happening and yet we don't get bothered with the details.

I'm curious now how this sign language might be used as a "thieve's cant" or indecipherable language known to a few that enables them to communicate covertly even in the presence of others. The US Army and many others employ a similar system in order to communicate silently at short range--their "hand signals":

It seems to me any player that goes the extra mile in learning how to communicate in manners such as this ought to have an in-game reward; like being able to comminicate silently even in closest proximity to others.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
It's clear I am enthusiastic about this, but I am only partially deaf in my right ear (about 50%) so as far as imparment goes I am not actually effected as I can get buy okay. I would be interested to get the opinions from a few hearing impaired TESTies on this - do they game to get away from the hum-drum of every day and this is dragging them back to it, or is this a welcome development that can only lead to good things?
I have about 20% hearing in my left ear, and there are both low and high frequencies that attenuate a lot faster than my right. I'm able to compensate using the audio balance and tone settings features of most headset earphones. This is due to what is now a very old injury, and I'm used to it.

But this summer, I had another problem that affected part of the visual field of both eyes. This makes it very difficult to read text in SC's current wandering color scheme, and I can't fathom why the HUD display is the same color as the background more than half the time and we have no control of it. But at the same time those are annoyances, I also realize that CIG has actually done a pretty good job of making the game playable for people with visual issues, even if totally by accident.

Forgot your password?