Hull A - E, another FUGGLY ship lineup for SC

Do you like how the Hull series looks?

• Total voters

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
I think they pop ships out without even thinking much, but their wallets or. how to make a buck the fastest.
Originality and design be damned.

It is clear they have reused much if not most of the assets they already have (Starfarer, Orion, freelancer), resized it to fit and poped on some fiddly bits so it differs a bit (copy/paste bits on the exterior).

I was hoping we will trully see something new.
But to be realistic, I did expect them to reuse Orion cargo part 100%.
Hell If I was a developer I would do it.

But still, it leaves a sour aftertaste in my mouth when I realize that no effort has gone in the design and originality.

The best looking of the bunch is Hull A in my view, but it looks more of an Origin ship than it does MISC.

Many people seem to like it in the forums, some dislike it.
I do not like it for the fact that they took too many shortcuts and lazy work, just to get it out the door for a new million. The ships look OK to me I guess, but I still dislike them for previously stated reason.

The poll (of course there is a poll), has multiple choices you can make.

Argonot

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2015
RSI Handle
argonot
Are you suggesting it looks too... PHALLIC? Looks like a helluva modular space PEEN to me! Showin' people who's the boss. Check out my big D! I mean E.

It's a freighter and freighter's are booooring. Except for EVE's Amarr freighter. That looks pretty dope.

That being said. They could've done something cooler with it I agree. Made a more exotic space peen.

JBWill

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 11, 2014
RSI Handle
JBWill
I absolutely love it. It's not super sexy, but a straight freighter doesn't need to be. I love the utilitarian but still sleek look of it, and the expansion/retraction mechanic is something that is pretty unlike anything we've seen before, easily setting it apart from the Orion IMO. I wasn't planning on getting anything from this sale but I think I'm going to pick up a B now that I've seen it.

Last edited:

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
I think the C and larger are the best looking in the bunch. They all look like hauler-lancers in the front, and man that animation is cool. I'm contemplating a B currently. Will easily get a C in PU or if I can come up with ~$100 by the 4th somehow

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I'm calling that unfolding cargo scaffolding the MULLET system. You've got the sleek, sexy, spaceship... then all of a sudden, the MULLET unfolds and you've got a cargo party going on, just letting it all hang out.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Are you suggesting it looks too... PHALLIC? Looks like a helluva modular space PEEN to me! Showin' people who's the boss. Check out my big D! I mean E.

It's a freighter and freighter's are booooring. Except for EVE's Amarr freighter. That looks pretty dope.

That being said. They could've done something cooler with it I agree. Made a more exotic space peen.
FUGGLY = Fucking Ugly

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
It's an interesting way to tackle space trucking but I'm more curious about how many current freelancer pilots, who intend on smuggling, are going to be swapping out for hull's. After seeing the Hull C, I'm sticking with my MAX.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
It's an interesting way to tackle space trucking but I'm more curious about how many current freelancer pilots, who intend on smuggling, are going to be swapping out for hull's. After seeing the Hull C, I'm sticking with my MAX.
Smugglers are going to obtain Banu Merchantman.
If you get found out, at least no one will be able to seize your cargo without a proper fight.

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
I don't know honestly, I just like the MAX (and the freelancer chassis in general) overall for several reasons.

1: largest small ship (if that makes sense) that can fit through the small jump point, going off of previous works by Chris I suspect there will be "back road" jumps which would let you bypass the "main" space lanes, ie cutting your time down on shipping. Add in the obvious nods to Star Wars and Star Trek for jumping, I heavily suspect there will be these kinds of things.

2: 4xT5 engines on the MAX, meaning that you have the same thrust power when compared with a Coni while only having about half the length, a little more then half it's mass, and for a quarter of the cargo space.

3: Rear turret. Enough said. Also, the profile means it will be harder to hit.

There are other reasons but this is just my opinion, though I do take my smuggling seriously lol.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
1: largest small ship (if that makes sense) that can fit through the small jump point, going off of previous works by Chris I suspect there will be "back road" jumps which would let you bypass the "main" space lanes, ie cutting your time down on shipping. Add in the obvious nods to Star Wars and Star Trek for jumping, I heavily suspect there will be these kinds of things.
That is not true or yet to be determined.
You are working off of old info, like way old.

2: 4xT5 engines on the MAX, meaning that you have the same thrust power when compared with a Coni while only having about half the length, a little more then half it's mass, and for a quarter of the cargo space.
Again, old sizes.
Where were you when they said they are redoing all the sizes for all the ships?
The only correct stats are for Vanguard, Orion and Retaliator. Others is like the text on the page is just noise ("#=/#Z)(/#&T)("=#"?)).

3: Rear turret. Enough said. Also, the profile means it will be harder to hit.
You will not be able to man that turret if you completely load it up without leaving the central coridor.
And when full, you won't be doing any maneuvering at all. More like sliding and casually strolling.

D3Mark

Grand Admiral
Sep 24, 2014
RSI Handle
D3Mark
That is not true or yet to be determined.
You are working off of old info, like way old.
The only info we have is from the jump point preview showcase thing where you had to fly through it, it was mentioned somewhere in relation to that.

Again, old sizes.
Where were you when they said they are redoing all the sizes for all the ships?
The only correct stats are for Vanguard, Orion and Retaliator. Others is like the text on the page is just noise ("#=/#Z)(/#&T)("=#"?)).
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs

You will not be able to man that turret if you completely load it up without leaving the central coridor.
And when full, you won't be doing any maneuvering at all. More like sliding and casually strolling.
If they're remaking the ships, then you think they would fix this glaring design flaw? Also, remote turret is a thing.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Citation needed.
Are you serious?

It was mentioned by multiple devs and even CR himself.
You even had a lengthy front page post about it.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
The only info we have is from the jump point preview showcase thing where you had to fly through it, it was mentioned somewhere in relation to that.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs

If they're remaking the ships, then you think they would fix this glaring design flaw? Also, remote turret is a thing.
They ask this many times on After the verse and the devs are still weirdly bowing their heads and saying TBD and such.

You know that they know something and don't want to say it in order not to piss Freelancer lovers and get more flame forum posts.

Their official stance is TBD.
Wormholes are undergoing further revision (got that fron latest after the verse), so naturally it is still in flux.

So they will not say it straight up like you want to hear it.

Beef Squatch

Vice Admiral
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Beefsquatch
I think they pop ships out without even thinking much, but their wallets or. how to make a buck the fastest.
Originality and design be damned.

It is clear they have reused much if not most of the assets they already have (Starfarer, Orion, freelancer), resized it to fit and poped on some fiddly bits so it differs a bit (copy/paste bits on the exterior).

I was hoping we will trully see something new.
But to be realistic, I did expect them to reuse Orion cargo part 100%.
Hell If I was a developer I would do it.

But still, it leaves a sour aftertaste in my mouth when I realize that no effort has gone in the design and originality.

The best looking of the bunch is Hull A in my view, but it looks more of an Origin ship than it does MISC.

Many people seem to like it in the forums, some dislike it.
I do not like it for the fact that they took too many shortcuts and lazy work, just to get it out the door for a new million. The ships look OK to me I guess, but I still dislike them for previously stated reason.

The poll (of course there is a poll), has multiple choices you can make.
Sure it does look like the other MISC ships but car manufactures do that now, they develop a style or look. Look at fords 2015 lineup almost every vehicles grill looks identical.

I mean yeah it's fugly, I won't argue that but form follows function mostly in the cargo business.

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
I'm probably just buying an A. The B does hold over 4 times more for only $30 more.

EDIT:

I bought a B.

Last edited:

Tilorop

Space Marshal
Jul 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Tilorop
Maybe fugly, but so what? They move shit from A to B.

I didn't expect the thing to pack itself up though, so that was awesome. I bought a E so we can atleast in theory move more liquor, strippers and junkfood at a time to supply the fleet.

Reactions: CaptainRichard

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
I don't know honestly, I just like the MAX (and the freelancer chassis in general) overall for several reasons.
Indeed, Sir. The Freelancer series is still the definitive space truck based on ship layout. I, too, am absolutely keeping my mine.

Sure it does look like the other MISC ships but car manufactures do that now, they develop a style or look. Look at fords 2015 lineup almost every vehicles grill looks identical.

I mean yeah it's fugly, I won't argue that but form follows function mostly in the cargo business.

I have never been a "Ford Guy" or much liked their car designs (especially the Mustangs), but I will say that whoever is doing their designing now is friggin' spot on. They are some great looking cars now.

Forgot your password?