Status
Not open for further replies.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
People were a bit more prepared in a way. Not reliant on the electrical grid, frozen food, microwave ovens, and air conditioning. Those things started having a real impact in the 70's. But even before radio, you would have known a hurricane or tropical storm was in the region. You know something is up about a day or two before it hits. I don't think you were actually better off though. In storms like that, everything is an illusion.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
When I lived in Gainesville, FL, we were the evacuation site for all the coastal areas, because we were dead center and about 60 feet or so above sea level, lol.

I hope people are prepared, and that the building codes are good enough so that people's houses don't get destroyed.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Looks like they're currently predicting cat 4 with 140 mph sustained winds. Apart from the flooding with generally does most of the damage; this will tear many buildings down. Lets pray people leave early, since there is only one way to get out of the pan handle, and if everyone waits until Monday, they won't get out in time.

The biggest reason that the US sees so few deaths from these storms is the people are affluent enough they can afford to leave the scene of such devastation when it comes. It's when people stay and expose themselves to such high winds and floods that they get killed. I forget the exact figures, but I think China has something like 6,000X as many deaths per person threatened as America does from storms like this, because Americans can leave; and leaving the panhandle is always a problem.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
One model I've seen shows Dorian hitting Florida and from there going north while also growing in size to swallow the entire peninsula and then going out to sea again along the Georgia coast and heading north along there.

Well, the peninsula does look like a corn dog, so I really can't blame it for attempting to consume it.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
That's an interesting way to look at it. I always thought... well. Florida looks a lot like something human male's use to pee. And what's it peeing on? Yeah.
If you continue to use this analogy then Florida would end up pointing towards Africa if Dorian knows what they are doing.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
If you continue to use this analogy then Florida would end up pointing towards Africa if Dorian knows what they are doing.
I think Dorian needs to forget about Africa, and concentrate on getting out of the US too preferably with no drama.
And maybe I didn't have enough corn dogs growing up, but to me it looks like North America has had thoughts of pissin on Cuba for millions of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot your password?