I can never leave my PC alone again! (update: fixed)

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
I should add that this was instant coffee, Tasters Choice from Costco, with Italian cream, sugar free.

Its possible that the coffee breath from this specific mix is what fixed the problem.
That's now part of the Rite of Ignition, and you need to brew that same cup of corvfefe, drink the same amount of sips, and blow the same amount of blows onto the same computer parts.

Reactions: Bambooza

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Im back online!

All you of you guys giving advice were wrong!

On a whim I opened up the computer case one more time this morning.

Jiggled everything around, took a deep breath, blew some morning coffee breath on everything. Took a flash light, looked for anything loose.

Started up the PC... BAM! Im connected!

Seems that coffee breath is what my computer needed!

On a serious note, I think the only possible explanation was that the LAN card was not seated properly even though it was screwed in tight. Taking out, re-seating it and screwing it in while pushing down at the same time is the only thing I did different and it worked.

TLDR/ The card was being detected because it was partially seated, but not getting an IP.
that's good, because after hitting it, my only other idea was to sacrifice some chickens...

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Im back online!

Jiggled everything around, took a deep breath, blew some morning coffee breath on everything. Took a flash light, looked for anything loose.

On a serious note, I think the only possible explanation was that the LAN card was not seated properly even though it was screwed in tight. Taking out, re-seating it and screwing it in while pushing down at the same time is the only thing I did different and it worked.

TLDR/ The card was being detected because it was partially seated, but not getting an IP.

Well you got it fixed that's good, but for future trips one thing to keep in mind with computers that are on a lot like every day maybe 24/7 some time.

Metal expand/stretch when it's warmer and when cooling down it retracts/shrink again, this cause movement specially in things that are connected together with metal to metal.

As most card slots and such are gold plated this is usually not a big problem, but where the cards are mounted to the case is another thing.

This can cause cards to move when cooling down fully as they do when you leave it off for days. ( repeated warm - cooling down can cause some issues in the long run )

I learned this the same way you did since I have my computer on 24/7 and went for a weekend with friends fishing I turned it off when I came back computer was behaving all messed up.

Turned out cards had moved in the slots and a push em in to the slots thoroughly again all was back to normal.

Now a days I always open computer check all is tight and in place when coming back from having it off for a couple days and I never had this problem again.

CHEERS!

Side note: It's called thermal expansion so if you do turn on and off computer every day it is a good thing to every quarter or so open it up and make sure all cards and stuff is in place.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
...took a deep breath, blew some morning coffee breath on everything... ...Started up the PC... BAM! Im connected!

And lo, The Glorous Montoya breathed life unto inanimate objects!

TEST breath BEST breath!

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Im back online!

Hmmm hopefully it being partially seated didnt cause any damage to the card slot or the card(Arcing from the card to the board). Glad you got it fixed though sometimes the easiest solution is the right one. I'm surprised your board didnt have a Lan port built into the system.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
that would work too!
then you could wrap it in colourful paper, and give it to people on the holiday of your choice!
Well, there goes my chance of being a millionaire:

https://www.textapotato.com/

Either there are SPAIs on this forum with time-machines, or they had the idea first 😔

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
It does.

But I had a lightning strike two years ago that ran a nice surge down the ethernet cable into my motherboard and fried the on board LAN.

This PC was struck by lightning, bestowing magical powers upon it and its user!
... We gave up our potato messaging idea to help fix a computer that had been struck by lightning once before?!

@NaffNaffBobFace I feel anguish! We could have been rich and had a lifetime supply of baked potatoes!

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
It does.

But I had a lightning strike two years ago that ran a nice surge down the ethernet cable into my motherboard and fried the on board LAN.

This PC was struck by lightning, bestowing magical powers upon it and its user!
Haha wow struck by lightning with no purand its still going that is one tough board What brand is it just for my reference? I'm not to sure how savy you are but have you considered sodering on a new network port?(Make sure you find out exactly which one you need to ensure you meet compatability.) Soddering on a new one might not solve the issue though as it may have fried contacts and other parts up the contact line.

Forgot your password?