I can never leave my PC alone again! (update: fixed)

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
@Montoya
So sorry man, that really sucks.
Some tips for future reference
  • Always shut down PC when going on Vacation (unless you need remote access)
  • Every Quarter to 6 months, clean the dust completely out of the system
  • Be very careful what you install (always use official source)
  • regularly run virus check
  • Windows 10 can get corrupted, It's happened to me twice and I'm fairly nerdy. The corruption issues I think has a lot to do with the terrible "user" data storage. Windows, as opposed to Linux, constantly writes to your hard drive or SSD.
  • Reboot (unless you have enterprise-grade gateway and switches) your router and modem once a month or every 2 months to resysnc them.
  • ALWAYS.. ALWAYS.. ALWAYS use a UPS with AVR that can handle your whole rig and auto-shutdown in the event of a power outage. This is also important because if you get surges or brown outs it might damage the delicate circuits in your PC parts. Depends on your PSU too.
Could you possibly have had a massive power surge when you were away and you left your PC running?
P.S. Worse come to shove, if you have homeowners insurance with a property/electronics rider, you can have the whole rig replaced.

Reactions: Bambooza and Scape

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
The weirdest thing about all of this is that nothing changed between the time I left the house and came back two days later! There was no power failure, lightning storms, nothing!

Has this ever happened to you?
Sounds like you have been hit by a Virus.......

btw -- Happy Birthday to 'One-Shot Sophie'. (Hope I got the spelling correct)

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
@Montoya
So sorry man, that really sucks.
Some tips for future reference
  • Always shut down PC when going on Vacation (unless you need remote access)
  • Every Quarter to 6 months, clean the dust completely out of the system
  • Be very careful what you install (always use official source)
  • regularly run virus check
  • Windows 10 can get corrupted, It's happened to me twice and I'm fairly nerdy. The corruption issues I think has a lot to do with the terrible "user" data storage. Windows, as opposed to Linux, constantly writes to your hard drive or SSD.
  • Reboot (unless you have enterprise-grade gateway and switches) your router and modem once a month or every 2 months to resysnc them.
  • ALWAYS.. ALWAYS.. ALWAYS use a UPS with AVR that can handle your whole rig and auto-shutdown in the event of a power outage. This is also important because if you get surges or brown outs it might damage the delicate circuits in your PC parts. Depends on your PSU too.
Could you possibly have had a massive power surge when you were away and you left your PC running?
P.S. Worse come to shove, if you have homeowners insurance with a property/electronics rider, you can have the whole rig replaced.
....i really should dust my rig

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
You think you got it bad Montoya, there's 10,000+ of the bastards in my Active Directory. And yes, they all hate humans. Every one of them!

Reactions: Bambooza

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
This is really simple, your system is protesting SOTS 16. though in reality it sounds like a power surge nailed you. don't be surprised in a few month if the bus starts going out on the motherboard.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Sounds like a bug that was set to cause trouble when you reboot. If something changed your IP connection and it wasn't you, then that something is malicious, and set to activate when you reboot.

Reactions: Bambooza

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Im back online!

All you of you guys giving advice were wrong!

On a whim I opened up the computer case one more time this morning.

Jiggled everything around, took a deep breath, blew some morning coffee breath on everything. Took a flash light, looked for anything loose.

Started up the PC... BAM! Im connected!

Seems that coffee breath is what my computer needed!

On a serious note, I think the only possible explanation was that the LAN card was not seated properly even though it was screwed in tight. Taking out, re-seating it and screwing it in while pushing down at the same time is the only thing I did different and it worked.

TLDR/ The card was being detected because it was partially seated, but not getting an IP.

Forgot your password?