I created a slow tracking time-lapse video of things around Star Citizen

mr-hasgaha

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Hasgaha

Slow tracking time-lapse video clips I recorded while playing Star Citizen Alpha 2.6 using a technique I developed over the past few months in combination with Star Citizen's new "DIrector Mode" camera controls.

I ended up using about 1 hour and 55 minutes worth of footage that I speed up into the 15 minutes you see. However, I easily captured over 4 hours of footage, trying to get just the right speed, action, angles, etc. All scenes are in live games taken completely unscripted and as-is. Various locations include Port Olisar, Yela, Crusader, Area 18 ArcCorp, Station Demien and Echo 11.

The color/tone change you probably notice in some clips is a known bug that occurs in the Universe and ArcCorp modes. It does NOT affect Star Marine or Arena Commander modes. It's basically a shift (sometimes subtle, sometimes quick) of color saturation, tone and luminosity (from orange-ish to blue-ish). I made a few of the clips black and white to try to hide the most severe instances of it. But yeah.. it's annoying... especially sped up this fast. It becomes painfully obvious.

Op4ArcticFox

Space Marshal
May 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Op4ArcticFox
That looks awesome, but it made me realize the rings on Port Olisar don't do anything. They don't rotate fast enough, they don't really appear large enough for habitation.... I guess you could come up with some nonsense in universe reason, but there is no ship or existing lore that site external structure for things like shields or power or coolant or whatever. They are just giant useless rings. /rant

Cool video though, well done.

mr-hasgaha

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Hasgaha
I am impressed

I want to learn more about director mode and using the PU for cinematography
Thanks! I like to think I can teach you... working on tutorials now for general controls and more advanced tips/tricks. It looks like, from the 2.6.1 patch notes, that the camera controls have been changed slightly. So I'm waiting to get my hands on that before moving forward with my tutorials.

mr-hasgaha

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Hasgaha
That looks awesome, but it made me realize the rings on Port Olisar don't do anything. They don't rotate fast enough, they don't really appear large enough for habitation.... I guess you could come up with some nonsense in universe reason, but there is no ship or existing lore that site external structure for things like shields or power or coolant or whatever. They are just giant useless rings. /rant

Cool video though, well done.
Thanks!

Yeah, Port Olisar's rings stopped spinning in 2.6.0. Hopefully they'll start up again. One of the many little annoyances of making this time-lapse video in 2.6... but I plan to make more later on.

SilentB-TEST

Commander
Jan 24, 2017
RSI Handle
SilentB-TEST

Slow tracking time-lapse video clips I recorded while playing Star Citizen Alpha 2.6 using a technique I developed over the past few months in combination with Star Citizen's new "DIrector Mode" camera controls.

I ended up using about 1 hour and 55 minutes worth of footage that I speed up into the 15 minutes you see. However, I easily captured over 4 hours of footage, trying to get just the right speed, action, angles, etc. All scenes are in live games taken completely unscripted and as-is. Various locations include Port Olisar, Yela, Crusader, Area 18 ArcCorp, Station Demien and Echo 11.

The color/tone change you probably notice in some clips is a known bug that occurs in the Universe and ArcCorp modes. It does NOT affect Star Marine or Arena Commander modes. It's basically a shift (sometimes subtle, sometimes quick) of color saturation, tone and luminosity (from orange-ish to blue-ish). I made a few of the clips black and white to try to hide the most severe instances of it. But yeah.. it's annoying... especially sped up this fast. It becomes painfully obvious.
Well done! The whole thing is great but there are a few parts in there that are absolutely beautiful. The asteroid field with the moon in the background was Amazing. I also really liked the view of the bridge in front of Astro Armada with all the lights flickering and ships going overhead. Made me want to fire up Blade Runner. This game is so beautiful even in its infancy (ok maybe a bit a temperamental toddler now with the lighting issues and all). I am going to enjoy it and Squadron 42 regardless but I hope they are both everything that the Roberts bros both are trying to deliver. If so they will be magnificent.

mr-hasgaha

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Hasgaha
Well done! The whole thing is great but there are a few parts in there that are absolutely beautiful. The asteroid field with the moon in the background was Amazing. I also really liked the view of the bridge in front of Astro Armada with all the lights flickering and ships going overhead. Made me want to fire up Blade Runner. This game is so beautiful even in its infancy (ok maybe a bit a temperamental toddler now with the lighting issues and all). I am going to enjoy it and Squadron 42 regardless but I hope they are both everything that the Roberts bros both are trying to deliver. If so they will be magnificent.
Thank you so much!

Reactions: SilentB-TEST
Forgot your password?