I feel the need, the need for...

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
...A faster ship. And I mean proper fast, not by-the-numbers fast, because by the numbers it currently sucks nuts.

I've got a case of the Salts and I need to get this out... please excuse the following rant:

Current ship stats show my Hornet Ghost Afterburner is rated to Mach 3.5 (1224m/s) and my 350R Mach 3.9 (1347m/s).

Although the 350R is rated to be just over a hundred M/S a second faster, at 1224m/s if the Hornet hits the Go Juice and it takes the 350R pilot 3 seconds to react and hit its own (3 seconds is a worst case scenario for reaction times while driving), that 3 seconds gives the Hornet 3000 meters distance which puts it out of range of the 350's s2's (the s3 has been taken away).

Bearing in mind it will take the 350 thirty seconds to close that gap from 3000m to 0m with its "Race Ship" speed advantage of a paltry 100m/s, how can they balance this when all the speeds are still so annoyingly close?

"NaffNaff, it's a racer now and there is nothing you can do about it, drop the salt melt it and move on already."

Oh, but it is no better for the dedicated fighting ships: The Hornet has Mach 3.5 at 1224m/s, the Saber has Mach 3.6 at 1235m/s. They are dogfighting and the Hornet breaks away at AB. The Saber turns around and chases. In the 3 seconds it has taken to turn round the Hornet has got 3000m away, the Saber with its speed advantage of 11m/s it will take 4 and a half minutes for it to draw level.

"Well the running ship will have to dodge the chasers shots, that'll slow it down"

Fantastic, so my all-but-unarmed 350 with all of its "Race" will be chased down by Buccaneers anyway?

They took away my s3, I was going to put a Pyroburst there and a pair of SuckerPunches on the wings. Now my ship essentially has an advertised race-pace which I cannot find in the Stats, and token peashooters which will be as effective left in the hangar as they would be attached to the ship. No way is 100m/s worth loosing an s3, especially when it means the Herald, which took the 350's speed crown, now out guns it too. Thats a kick in the spuds, man.

My only hope for self defense currently is the coming Neutron Repeaters but I need the speed to close the range and that just 'aint there right now.

Okay i've had my salty moment.

So...

What should I melt my 350 into?

Last edited:

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Naff my friend, it seems to me that now that you've expressed your saltiness, it is time to make up a massive batch of multiple flavors of Everclear jello shots that I'll fill your trash can full of. Then you'll get to enjoy being salty, sweet & intoxicating to anybody that chooses to "taste the rainbow" within you.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
Bear in mind the herald has a purpose of data running so needs to defend itself out in space, it could have high value data on it, the 350 wont, the 350 has a purpose of racing with a few guns just in case, like a Ferrari F40 can be used on the road but you can't complain when it has no cup holder or backseats for the kids. It's not its purpose.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Bear in mind the herald has a purpose of data running so needs to defend itself out in space, it could have high value data on it, the 350 wont, the 350 has a purpose of racing with a few guns just in case, like a Ferrari F40 can be used on the road but you can't complain when it has no cup holder or backseats for the kids. It's not its purpose.
And there is the source of the salt. It was, originally, as capable on the battlefield as it was supposedly on the circuit. A smuggler, an interceptor, basically what the Saber is but moar speed and less guns for balance. I had a plan, a Pyroburst nose for short range hit and Suckerpunches on the wings to disable...

I'll have to wait for the rework and see what comes up. The rework has been on the cards for three/four years now.

I know they have a plan. I know it'll have some kind of use. I know... I'm just having trouble being able to believe at this point.

I'm only really holding on to it because of flying to the far side of the Broken Moon in it in AC 2.5. That was a real adventure and something I don't think anyone else had... but It's a lotta investment just for a bit of sentimentality...

Last edited:

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
Yeah it does suck they change things we are used to and have plans for. I liked the Cutlass as it was because it could take a hit but also dish it out, now it's bigger, heavier, slower and can't take as many hits but has more guns I guess.

I was planning on being a pirate just hitting smaller ships grabbing stuff and running out on the edges of space.

I forgot about the 300 rework but I already know they'll increase the powerplant and shields to allow for good guns so don't give up hope, I bet the guns get sorted and being Origin I wouldn't put it past them to improve the engines as well. It's a very old design so it can only improve(and go up in price).

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Oh, before I forget, there is some things from the new Shipyard updates on the RSI site that I can point out that might have been missed on this topic. The 350R is a dedicated racing ship. Which means that when available its components can be upgraded to Competition grade. Which means that there is a chance for your 350R to be faster than a Herald if your ship is fully competition upgraded & the Herald is stock. Also, the Herald is only fast going in a straight line. It is nowhere near as agile as your 350R so it can't dodge a good pilot's lasers that target it from behind. While this should also assist you in dog fighting against adversaries, remember that your ships gravity being on causes you to be kept within the safe boundaries of G-forces or you black out. The 350R is meant to be the fastest racing ship in a straight line & have decent maneuverability in competitions. It was not designed to be a dedicated combat vessel.

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?