I flew something I shouldn't have.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
I still don't see much utility in a snare. Allowing a person to set waypoints, very prevalent in current navigation software, would render them pretty useless.
Yes. A little bit of thought will be able to sidestep the existing bubble at most locations. Many players will not do this, however, and most NPC's will be easy pickings. I can see where some high level NPC's would include nav routines to avoid snares; would bet money on it actually, as CIG has already copied other player behaviours into the dogfighting algorithms.

For bounty hunting we'll need a lot more information about the mark's movements, maybe to the degree of doing pattern-of-life developments for the higher value contracts, before the snare will be a tool to invest in.

Edit: Once CIG turns on solar system rotations this will get even more complicated....

Last edited:
  • o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Yes. A little bit of thought will be able to sidestep the existing bubble at most locations. Many players will not do this, however, and most NPC's will be easy pickings. I can see where some high level NPC's would include nav routines to avoid snares; would bet money on it actually, as CIG has already copied player behaviours into the dogfighting algorithms.

For bounty hunting we'll need a lot more information about the mark's movements, maybe to the degree of doing pattern-of-life developments for the higher value contracts, before the snare will be a tool to invest in.

Edit: Once CIG turns on solar system rotations this will get even more complicated....
I think, like Garman Humble, we're going to wind up taking most bounties on the ground, long term.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Snares were set up originally to drop the ship being stopped about 18km away, somewhere on a sphere around the Mantis. Our testing with them consistently placed the 'target' ship at that distance, meaning the chase would be on. I haven't tested it at all recently, so that may have been adjusted. Am Definitely expecting to see Snares reworked after Master Modes is released, but no idea when or in what manner.

There is a website which is moderately useful for planning interdictions - https://snareplan.dolus.eu/
So what happens if you snare someone and can’t see them at 18km? Is there something that alerts you or are you out of luck?

• o7

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
I could see a snare, teamed up with an EMP with a good range, a very effective system. EMP would need to stay so that the snare ship is outside its sphere of influence.

• o7

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Dammit, I spent the entire IAE reading this thread, waiting to see if an Ares WB CCU went on sale, then got wrapped up taking care of my sick boy and forgot to check the mast couple days! Hahaha. Sounds like a great excuse to buy one in game!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Dammit, I spent the entire IAE reading this thread, waiting to see if an Ares WB CCU went on sale, then got wrapped up taking care of my sick boy and forgot to check the mast couple days! Hahaha. Sounds like a great excuse to buy one in game!
Sounds like plenty of periodic opportunities to enjoy beers & shit posts with your fellow TESTies my friend. Cheers!

Forgot your password?