I give up.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I'm fed up with the nonsense coming out of CIG.
  • The lack of being able to hit their own self imposed deadlines.
  • The lack of transparency.
  • The lack of build discipline, which is the only explanation for the amount of regression bugs.
  • The lack of a clear definition of what "done" looks like.
  • The lack of measurable progress.
  • 11+ years and still nothing, even the foundation tech, is done.

Most important the apparent lack of will to even produce a game. I expect this to be abandoned and never completed.

i give up. I'm writing off the thousands spent as a bad investment.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
i give up. I'm writing off the thousands spent as a bad investment.
I hope for you that won't be the case ! Sometimes staying away, not following the development, and one day just seeing a mail talking about release is the better way to not get disappointed.
I did that for 6 years when I understood that the 2015 initial planned release was unrealistic, and when I came back in 2020 it was like wow.

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
It's understandable. Quite a lot of folks have found it refreshing to play some other games for a while, maybe get into one you enjoy, and just have fun for a bit. I had a great time playing Elden Ring earlier this year. Jedi Fallen Order was awesome back in 2019-20. Playing on a console was a nice change from on my PC. Man, it is nice to experience games that were/are so polished and satisfying.

I'm sure you know of something else out there that floats your boat. Maybe some award-winning AAA games-of-the-year that ARE very much finished products, and only cost 50$/£/€ or so. SC will keep evolving at its glacial pace, and when you check in next, we'll be here, so will your account, and you might enjoy it afresh then.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Have a good break, I've done it before I think it was the whole patch of 3.7 or 3.8...? Could have been 3.9. one of them I sat out, it did me the world of good.

In regard to investment, I never saw pledges as that as I would not be making my money back, I'd just be getting the game made. As such, however much I have contributed is just a donation. I'm not getting a single penny back in my pocket even when the product is on the shelf and selling to the wider public - by ways of investments, $0 return is indeed a crap investment.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I hope for you that won't be the case ! Sometimes staying away, not following the development, and one day just seeing a mail talking about release is the better way to not get disappointed.
I did that for 6 when I understood the 2015 initial planned release was unrealistic, and when I came back in 2020 it was like wow.
If it releases in my lifetime I'll be surprised. If it does I might take a look at it. If not, then it doesn't.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Could be worse, just look at Scorn.
Scorn:
  • Started development as a single player game around the same time as SC
  • Just released as a ~$40 game
  • Average playtime to complete the game seems to be around 6 hours
Compared to that, SC is doing well...I'd prefer it to be doing much better, but it could be doing a whole lot worse.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
If you seriously believe that it's a dead dodo game then I suggest you sell your account. Sad to say but you don't need to waste the thousands - your account still has much value to someone else.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
If it releases in my lifetime I'll be surprised. If it does I might take a look at it. If not, then it doesn't.
Today, that will be exactly 10 years that I made my first pledge. Like NaffNaff said it is not an investment where you hope for much returns.
In my case the investment is worth the fun so far.

Attachments

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
@Richard Bong
I've taken quite a few breaks (even been on one for most of this year, just checking in here and Spectrum periodically to keep apprised of any updates that interest me and hanging out with all the awesome drunks here), so that is what I recommend.
If you haven't tried them yet, maybe try Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky, or any of the other 'space' games out right now.
I haven't tried NMS yet as everything I've read states it doesn't, and probably never will, native support of joysticks.
However, I did play E:D for a bit, it was fun but found myself constantly comparing it to how much better SC was doing things...which is what eventually brought me back.

If you want a break from space games all together, there are plenty of other games out (or in early access) in completely different genres you might enjoy.
Anyways, if you haven't done the above then I hope you do before you do something drastic you may regret later (like selling off all your SC assets or account), but if you have done all the above and you still feel this way then it may be that time for you (which would be unfortunate as it'd likely only be a matter of time until we no longer see you around here.)

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Just take a break dude. You’ll need to do that for your own mental health.

I take extended breaks from the project to keep myself sane. I’ve taken months if not years away from the game (haven’t logged in for months) since I backed back in Nov 2012. At one point I took 4 years from the game where I basically locked out myself from any SC related content.

I work a lot, cook, hang out with the missus, travel, play other games, hit up the shooting range. This game has long since moved down on my list of priorities in life.

It is what it is. I’ve long since come to accept the fact that the game may never be finished or gets released to its fullest potential.

It is of course your right to be pissed and to post your displeasure here or elsewhere. I can tell you it won’t do an iota to convince CIG to work faster or deliver on their promises. That’s the nature of crowd funding projects….CIG for better or for worse is accountable to no one.

Last edited:

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
I'm not selling my accounts

but it's been years since I made a pledge

and I won't be making any more

every time I've been ready to pull the trigger on a new gaming rig

they announce a major refactor of one system or another

wait, why am I not selling my accounts?

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
@Richard Bong, indeed heed the advice here, give yourself a break for a bit. Continue to hang out with us on the forums, but spend your gaming time elsewhere for awhile. If it's space you want, ED is probably best. It's not as pretty nor IMO as immersive as SC, however it's MUCH more expansive and a good bit more polished. You can lose yourself in there for a few hundred hours easily before deciding if you want to peek back at SC or not. Or, if you need break from space-simming in general, I'll recommend a good playthrough on Witcher3. Still the most immersive, best story-driven game on the market, again IMO. If you haven't experienced it, well, another great place to park a whole bunch of down-time hours to push other worries out of your mind.
I'm still on my break from playing. I keep thinking about having a look, then the learning curve stops me.
@Rear_Intruder, not to try to suck you back if you're still 'on break,' but if the 'curve' is really ALL that's stopping you, then sheesh, just hop on Discord and get one of us to help coach you through things; you'll be up to speed in no time!
As for me, I like to take regular breaks on what I consider 'shitty patches,' which is probably about 1/2 of them. But I'm still pretty glass-half-full in general; thinking back to where I was 10 years ago, well, then I was mostly playing modded 1999 Xwing Alliance as that was still at the time really the BEST space sim available. To jump from that to even *just* having Arena Commander and that one single mission from the chick on the research station to go to the distress beacon was pretty wow for me. And to have progress from there to Xenothreat. . . well while I still have plenty of complaints that's my larger perspective on things. Man, I hope we get XT back again soon though!

Forgot your password?