I got no strings!

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
So I finally broke down and ordered a TPcast for my rift. The wire was a huge source of concern for me any time I played around on my Oculus. I couldn't really get into the swing of things because I was always getting tangled up like my dog when I take her out for a walk.

Every time I'd start getting into an active game like Gorn (fucking amazing game btw) or OrbusVR, the cord kept me reserved and cautious. I love VR, but with a corded hmd it always felt like I was going 95% of the way. It was so close to what I wanted, but not quite there. The end result was that, despite my enthusiasm, it always ended up feeling more like a parlor trick than a legitimate way of gaming.

So, enter the TPcast. I read all the reviews, saw all the issues, and finally decided to get one. It took a minute, but I got it working and I gotta say. It's everything I hoped. Yes, it has it's share of issues. Every aspect of VR has it idiosyncrasies at the moment. However, it finally feels like the VR experience I imagined when I first saw the Rift on kickstarter.

The ability to freely move around the space is so incredible. You can swing, move, dodge, duck, and turn around freely in VR without having to worry about tripping over a cable or accidentally yanking it out. It takes a minute to finally realize you're free, but when you do it is amazing. There's no process involved with it either once you have it running. You just grab it off the shelf, pop the battery in, and you're in VR in about 30 seconds.

All in all, I would give it a 10/10. In my opinion it is worth every penny. Granted, it's not perfect. You have to load up the 3rd party firmware (opentpcast) because the stock programming is trash. It also hitches up on occasion which can throw you off, but it's not really any worse than wired. There's also a weird quirk with the fov that just comes with the territory. However, it really does feel like the future.

We have finally technologically arrived. It's a bit buggy. It's not perfect. It's expensive as hell, but if you have been dreaming about this since you were a kid like I have, it's worth every penny.

So basically...

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I got a new toy and it's amazing!

Glad you're enjoying it Buttle.

Having watched streamers playing with VR and barely kept my lunch where it should be, I'm certain i'd barf from motion sickness if I used VR.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. For instance, my wife can't play FPS games because it makes her violently ill. It has been a source of a ton of disappointment on her part and a considerable amount of research on my part. However, the Rift actually works for her. She has zero issues with it. There are a few games with optional movement schemes that can cause some issues, but the grenade throw teleport mechanic for movement is just fine. The rest accurately tracks movement both physically and virtually. So no lunch lost.

Watching somebody play VR though is back to the original issue. It's like watching normal gameplay but with a ton more movement because of the head tracking. So it's rough to watch, but smooth as butter to play. Things are rarely as simple as that but at the very least there is a vast difference between watching and playing. I don't know if you have Best Buy around, but all the ones where I am have a Rift on display. They demo them on request. So you can try it safely and free. It might be worth a shot. It really is amazing if it works for you.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I got a new toy and it's amazing!

I wouldn't be so sure about that. For instance, my wife can't play FPS games because it makes her violently ill. It has been a source of a ton of disappointment on her part and a considerable amount of research on my part. However, the Rift actually works for her. She has zero issues with it. There are a few games with optional movement schemes that can cause some issues, but the grenade throw teleport mechanic for movement is just fine. The rest accurately tracks movement both physically and virtually. So no lunch lost.

Watching somebody play VR though is back to the original issue. It's like watching normal gameplay but with a ton more movement because of the head tracking. So it's rough to watch, but smooth as butter to play. Things are rarely as simple as that but at the very least there is a vast difference between watching and playing. I don't know if you have Best Buy around, but all the ones where I am have a Rift on display. They demo them on request. So you can try it safely and free. It might be worth a shot. It really is amazing if it works for you.
noice

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?