I hate this game.... controllers help needed

Tei

Captain
Dec 8, 2019
RSI Handle
TeiwazWolf
Hi, wonder if anyone can help me...
I installed 3.8, deleted USER folder (apart of Controls).
Now game launched and messed order of my vJoy, it used to be 3rd in 3.7, now its 2nd.

I tried swapping 1 and 2 but nothing happens....

devices.png

I would prefer to avoid remapping completely my bindings.... any tips?

p.s. I hate this game when things like that spoil all the fun

Reactions: Mich Angel

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Rule 1: never unplug any controller. You can do it, but when you do it, always plug it in the same USB port, never restart when you plugged it in correctly again.

That looks ok. The controller order stays the same, only all bindings from controller 0 and controller 1 are swapped with pp_resortdevices joystick 1 2

Only 3 controllers 😁
joy.cpl.png

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Most likely windows that change the order in the game controller list, picture ^^ that Marcsand2 posted...

You need to check that after restarting windows so your controllers are in right order.
If not in right order go in to win settings Win devices, there click on a controller then chose remove, then unplug it from USB do this with all.
Then put them back in again in the order you need them to be in if they still don't end up right in windows game controller list, repeat until they do.
When you got them in right order you can start game and all be back to where it was and all keybindings works.

This happen cause game identify USB port not USB device id, which I complained about a million times... So when windows change usb port order it change order in game..
It's just silly IMO !

CHEERS! 🍻

Edit provide my pic to so you see what I mean...

D2.PNG

D1.PNG

Last edited:

Tei

Captain
Dec 8, 2019
RSI Handle
TeiwazWolf
I had joysticks pluged in the same ports as always.
Had some issues so decided to delete USER and thats when problem started....

Unfortunatelly pp_resortdevices joystick 1 2 did nothing - order not changed.

I managed to change order by switching off vJoy, restarting computer then enabling vJoy.
It assigned vJou as Joy (2) but order was still wrong.

unknown.png

I tried all combinations of joys when importing profile, no luck....

Eventually I managed to revert whole mess by simply restoring old USER files (glad I made copy just in case).

SC ir realy retarder in terms of managing inputs, I heard before from people losing mind over this very issue, bun never really experienced it till today....

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Check my previous post I added pictures to show what I mean 🍻 🍻 🍻

And yes SC is retarded when it come to USB input devices, instead of reading the proper USB device ID,
it read windows USB port and that is controlled by windows and that get mixed up almost every time you restart or some change been made in windows.
Really like old way of identify usb devices, this days all usb devices have a ID so it can be separated so windows don't need to keep them in right order.
Most game use that system using USB device ID to set what USB device is used for what, but SC does not it identify what port was used... ???!! like Why !!

🍻 🍻 🍻 🍻

Last edited:
Reactions: marcsand2 and Tei

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I bought a 3.0 USB HUB with On/Off for each USB connection so I can easy turn them off then on in right order, works great and fast to fix that problem when it happen.

🍻 🍻 🍻 🍻

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
And some one will probably suggest to use a external third party program to fix it...

I don't support that choice cause it is in alpha game and if you use a external third party program to fix a bug in game, how would you know to report a bug or something that is not working.
Sure I use Target some time but for the most I want it to get screwed up, so I got a reason to send in a bug-report, every time it get screwed up so they hopefully get tired of that and fix it.

🍻🤪🍻🍻

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
That used to happen to me constantly, but haven't had that issue since I started using TARGET.
Yeah TARGET fix that easy.. but only for the Thrustmaster sticks and throttle, if you have like me a bunch more including button boxes it still get screwed up sometime... 🙃

🍻

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Weird, the "pp_resortdevices joystick 1 2" works for me all the time...I don't use vJoy or anything else fancy. I do like @Mich Angel 's idea of using a USB hub with an on/off switch.
Yeah a 3.0 USB HUB with it's own power-supply use no resources to have connected, rather the opposite and all needed to do to when windows screw up controller list.... is..

I remove all devices in windows device setting list one by one which is fast and easy and turn off a device as it is removed one by one, then turn them on in the order I want and I'm good to go.
Take less than a minute and no third party program is needed if one fail to be removed I just repeat the step..

And in times when I don't need any of the USB devices for a game or what ever reason I can easy turn it off and not have to fiddle and unplug it, a win win IMO.

🍻 🍻 🍻 🍻

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
My solution is to never unplug controllers. Until now it worked. Even if I want to calibrate a controller, it gets disconnected and connected again, it keeps the correct order.
The only problem was that I had 3 axis to control throttle:
  • the throttle: throttle
  • left toe brake: strafe back
  • right toe brake: strafe forward
In order to always work correct, they had to be one of the first 4 devices to be detected by SC, otherwise it could happen that speed couldn't be 0, with 100% throttle and 100% strafe back.
SC fixed that problem with the new flight model. In the old flight model, throttle was an addition of all 3 axis. In the new flight model, throttle was the last input that changed.

Solution: make my own axis with Joystick Gremlin, combining the other axis to one strafe throttle forward/back axis. While busy, why not also add the speed limiter to the solution. Center detend of the left throttle half is SCM speed, Idle detend is landing speed. Right half of the throttle even doesn't has any detend. Since SCM speed varies on different ships, use some dial to correct center detend speed = adjusting my custom throttle forward / backward curve.

Tei

Captain
Dec 8, 2019
RSI Handle
TeiwazWolf
I installed HidGuardian and it works like a charm.
Now SC only sees vJoy and there will be no problems with swapped devices in future.

Before:
before.png
Sc.png

After:

after.png

vJoy.png

Only issue is that after starting Joystick Gremlin I need to replug one joystick (Gremlin does not see both, starts seeing after repluging). I imagine it might be some bug with Gremlin and already reported it to author.

Changing mapping was super easy as well, as I just edited exported mappings and replaced 'js3' with 'js1' and deleted sections for previous js1 and js2.

Tei

Captain
Dec 8, 2019
RSI Handle
TeiwazWolf
Reactions: Deroth

BinaryLoop

Ensign
Jun 27, 2020
RSI Handle
-
It is so painful that CIG still haven't fixed the awful way that devices are selected.
USB device order is an absolutely horrible concept that should be permanently banned from games made after 1990!

"Don't ever unplug USB devices" and "don't ever turn off or restart your PC" as advice to resolve issues with joystick ordering in Star Citizen are rules that I just can't live by, especially to comply with dodgy programming in the game that they've never bothered to fix!
I really wish people would complain more about this and force CIG to fix this because it's kind of a joke. They need to assign someone and get this fixed so why not sooner rather than later!
No point adding another moon if we can't get control inputs to work.

And so, going to try fixing the problem with a sledgehammer. Going to try Gremlin, vJoy and HIDGuardian. Wish me luck.

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
Bumping this because 3.17.2 patch somehow totally borked my input mappings, pp_resortdevices didn't work properly, and I got pissed enough I opened up a new bug report to try to get CIG to work on this. Please contribute here if you want to help!

Forgot your password?