I have to post this sexy pic

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I see you a steak pic and raise you a steak. This particular one occurred shortly after I landed on the way I cook steaks now.

20161225_180501.jpg

Here's my process.

The first is the selection. I mainly look for the marbling. Sometimes it's a ribeye, sometimes a New York, and sometimes a T-bone. The marbling is the deciding factor.

The second is the Sous Vide. I have a Anova Sous Vide Immersion ciculator ($130 on Amazon HERE). I put a healthy dry rub (salt, pepper, garlic, and cayenne) on the steaks and vacuum seal them. Then I put it in for an hour and a half at 131 degrees (which fully cooks the steak).

The third is the sear. I get some oil (light olive oil for the higher smoke point) in a cast iron pan. Then I get it cranked up to 390-410 degrees. I dry the steaks off, apply a second dose of dry rub, and hit them for around 30-45 seconds per side in the pan.

The results boggle the mind. The steaks literally melt in your mouth. The first dry rub ends up in a kind of marinade as it cooks in the sous vide. So the flavor is amazing all the way through. My wife and I only eat steak at home now because restaurants just aren't as good.

Also, the sous vide is good for any meat with some other amazing results. Like 48 hours with a good chuck at 135 degrees. There are some mechanical things that happen with the muscle fibers at 140 degrees. They constrict and squeeze all the juices out of the cut. So if you want the juciest, most tender meats, you need to cook it under 140, but over 127 (where bacteria grows). This is where the sous vide comes in. You get results like this chuck here:

20161218_173444.jpg

EDIT: The danger of "rare" meats is the risk of bacteria like salmonella. This is why internal temperatures need to be at a certain level, to kill that bacteria. You can achieve the same safe levels at a lower temperature though by extending the cook time. For instance, at 131 degrees, you achieve the same bacteria lethality at 1.5 hours as you would by cooking the internal temperature to 160 degrees. The whole chart for the different types of meats was published by the USDA HERE.

Last edited:

SweetDee

Vice Admiral
Jan 7, 2017
RSI Handle
SweetDee
Do you care to qualify that remark? I mean, it can be taken so many different ways*, lol!

* I should mention that I'm from California, and anything you would want to do with a slab of meat is perfectly ok, as long as you and the slab of meat are mutually consenting adults, and there isn't any violence.
What if there is violence? WHAT THEN?!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I was about to comment that I'm jealous of that delicious feast & would love to have something like that myself when possible, but then I saw what you stated that you actually had for dinner. For the record, I would love to have something like that myself when possible.

Oh its not mine, I had wonton noodles and shrimp for dinner.
Your ancestors!!! C'mon Cosmic, we all know it was YOU who discovered fire!
How about I help resolve some confusion? It was @CosmicTrader in a former life as 1 of his own ancestors that discovered fire. It was @CosmicTrader in this life that figured out while drinking at an early age that if you drink enough & then direct your farts over the camp fire at your annoying family members that you create a smelly flame thrower free of charge. On this note, I'm willing to bet that he has never been without a lighter of some sort since. Just in case the flamethrower needs to be used again.

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
I see you a steak pic and raise you a steak. This particular one occurred shortly after I landed on the way I cook steaks now.

View attachment 9182

Here's my process.

The first is the selection. I mainly look for the marbling. Sometimes it's a ribeye, sometimes a New York, and sometimes a T-bone. The marbling is the deciding factor.

The second is the Sous Vide. I have a Anova Sous Vide Immersion ciculator ($130 on Amazon HERE). I put a healthy dry rub (salt, pepper, garlic, and cayenne) on the steaks and vacuum seal them. Then I put it in for an hour and a half at 131 degrees (which fully cooks the steak).

The third is the sear. I get some oil (light olive oil for the higher smoke point) in a cast iron pan. Then I get it cranked up to 390-410 degrees. I dry the steaks off, apply a second dose of dry rub, and hit them for around 30-45 seconds per side in the pan.

The results boggle the mind. The steaks literally melt in your mouth. The first dry rub ends up in a kind of marinade as it cooks in the sous vide. So the flavor is amazing all the way through. My wife and I only eat steak at home now because restaurants just aren't as good.

Also, the sous vide is good for any meat with some other amazing results. Like 48 hours with a good chuck at 135 degrees. There are some mechanical things that happen with the muscle fibers at 140 degrees. They constrict and squeeze all the juices out of the cut. So if you want the juciest, most tender meats, you need to cook it under 140, but over 127 (where bacteria grows). This is where the sous vide comes in. You get results like this chuck here:

View attachment 9184

EDIT: The danger of "rare" meats is the risk of bacteria like salmonella. This is why internal temperatures need to be at a certain level, to kill that bacteria. You can achieve the same safe levels at a lower temperature though by extending the cook time. For instance, at 131 degrees, you achieve the same bacteria lethality at 1.5 hours as you would by cooking the internal temperature to 160 degrees. The whole chart for the different types of meats was published by the USDA HERE.
My friend, you are a genius. This looks perfect. I'm gonna get me one of dem soups vidal and give this a go. Thanks for the info.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

View attachment 9182

Here's my process.

View attachment 9184

re: meat safety:
https://www.theguardian.com/animals-farmed/2018/feb/21/dirty-meat-shocking-hygiene-failings-discovered-in-us-pig-and-chicken-plants

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Which is why you buy nice thick cuts of meat and sear the outside. In fact I think if most people saw how meat was aged or the process for cured meats they would be horrified and yet it makes for such delicious results.

dethos

Vice Admiral
Donor
Jan 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Helphyre
AH ...M E A T......I miss you SO. GOUT...FLY through the PAIN ! ! ! But DAMN...I wanna steak now......But I don't have enough sick time to enjoy the 2 weeks of Pain that Glorious steak would Imbue upon me.

Forgot your password?