I love Canada

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
You mention our beer, maple syrup, hockey, and Caesars but forget about our superior bacon?!
Our sacred superior bacon. On everything. Always. Especially in Ceasars.
Every time someone mentions canadian bacon I think of the movie.
Fuck that movie made me laugh. Especially when they get pulled over with the anti-Canada graffiti on the truck...
What is this? I must see it. Hahah

Speedkills

Admiral
Oct 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Speedkills
The movie is called Tusk, a Kevin Smith movie. It's definitely one of his most obscure and disturbing flicks to date. I haven't seen Yoga Hosers yet, so he may have gotten worse lol. I actually caught the private screening / Q&A with Kevin in Red Bank, NJ. Most people had stunned looks on their faces and then we enjoyed a few hours of listening to him talk about the movie and where he was going with his next titles.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
The movie is called Tusk, a Kevin Smith movie. It's definitely one of his most obscure and disturbing flicks to date. I haven't seen Yoga Hosers yet, so he may have gotten worse lol. I actually caught the private screening / Q&A with Kevin in Red Bank, NJ. Most people had stunned looks on their faces and then we enjoyed a few hours of listening to him talk about the movie and where he was going with his next titles.
Interesting. Is there a Canadian theme to these flicks? Hosers is a very Canadian word, along with that scene from Tusk. I'm curious now. I rather enjoyed all of Kevin Smith's work, starting with Clerks.
i'm Canadian, both guys in that picture are clowns
Which picture? Tusk or Canadian bacon?

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
You mention our beer, maple syrup, hockey, and Caesars but forget about our superior bacon?!
Heck yeah and for the record Canadian Bacon is not ham. It comes from a completely different section of the beast then it is rolled in peameal.
We call it Peameal Bacon or back bacon up here. Very lean.
Toss it on an toasted english muffin, toss and a poached egg on it and smother it in hollandaise. *eggs Benedict".
Wiki calls it a traditional American brunch. I call it breakfast.
But to set the record straight (from wiki):
<Delmonico's in lower Manhattan claims on its menu that "Eggs Benedict was first created in our ovens in 1860">

I cannot find when and where they started using back bacon but it is awesome.

Several variations of Eggs Benedict exist.

"Irish bacon" is also "back bacon" and likely was long before "canada" or the U.S. existed as nations.
Thank you Ireland. *especially Cork".

I Love my Irish Bacon. I and most Canadians refuse to call it Canadian Bacon. Let's give credit where credit is due.

Speedkills

Admiral
Oct 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Speedkills

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
"hoser" went out decades ago.
Myself and my friends used to go skiing in Vermont back in the day and we'd yell Koo roo coo coo koo roo coo coo.
They don't call us "Crazy Canucks" for nothing.

I thought I was going to get pummelled wqhen I was in the bar at a Vermont ski hill (Jay Peaks) when I cheered the Crazy Canucks as they won the downhill at one of the olympics.

In the line up for the 60 person Ariel Tramway where the landing zone up top was embedded into the mountain I overheard someone say that they could not deface a mountain that way. I piped up and asked "What about Mopunt Rushmore?" I swear I felt hammers being cocked. 59 very angry looking faces turned to me. *gulp*

Same hill. I was booging down a run which was a good 50 feet wide and I passed a guy and he yelled at me for passing him. Unbelievable. I just yelled back. " I won't be here LOOoooonnnng..."

American Women are similar to Canadian Women. They both slip out at last call after a night of free drinks. ;)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Heck yeah and for the record Canadian Bacon is not ham. It comes from a completely different section of the beast then it is rolled in peameal.
We call it Peameal Bacon or back bacon up here. Very lean.
Toss it on an toasted english muffin, toss and a poached egg on it and smother it in hollandaise. *eggs Benedict".
Wiki calls it a traditional American brunch. I call it breakfast.
But to set the record straight (from wiki):
<Delmonico's in lower Manhattan claims on its menu that "Eggs Benedict was first created in our ovens in 1860">

I cannot find when and where they started using back bacon but it is awesome.

Several variations of Eggs Benedict exist.

"Irish bacon" is also "back bacon" and likely was long before "canada" or the U.S. existed as nations.
Thank you Ireland. *especially Cork".

I Love my Irish Bacon. I and most Canadians refuse to call it Canadian Bacon. Let's give credit where credit is due.
Ha. Another Benny lover. Blackstone remains one of my favourites to this day.
Yep, he calls it the True North Trilogy. The last in the series hasn't been released yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_North_trilogy
I'll have to look into this. Thanks for the link.
"hoser" went out decades ago.
Myself and my friends used to go skiing in Vermont back in the day and we'd yell Koo roo coo coo koo roo coo coo.
They don't call us "Crazy Canucks" for nothing.

I thought I was going to get pummelled wqhen I was in the bar at a Vermont ski hill (Jay Peaks) when I cheered the Crazy Canucks as they won the downhill at one of the olympics.

In the line up for the 60 person Ariel Tramway where the landing zone up top was embedded into the mountain I overheard someone say that they could not deface a mountain that way. I piped up and asked "What about Mopunt Rushmore?" I swear I felt hammers being cocked. 59 very angry looking faces turned to me. *gulp*

Same hill. I was booging down a run which was a good 50 feet wide and I passed a guy and he yelled at me for passing him. Unbelievable. I just yelled back. " I won't be here LOOoooonnnng..."

American Women are similar to Canadian Women. They both slip out at last call after a night of free drinks. ;)
Jay Peaks. My ex-wifes family has a "cabin" there. Too much money those fuckers. Ha.
Your stories are cracking me up DeepDrum. What part of the "bush" are you from again? I'm currently in Edmonton, but will be moving the whole family to Kingston in the next month or so.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
I've moved all over Ontario 22 times. I enjoyed many years in Northern Ontario.
I am in the weeds about 20 miles North of the Border on the way to Ottawa.
Other than the odd city here and there, if you're not on the border, you're in the bush.
You'll Love Kingston. It's a great place. My head Office was there.
I retired from workinig out of Gananoque which is a half hour East of Kingston.
I drove 1.5 hrs each way for 12 hr shifts.
Kingston is just the best. Music at the K-Rock Centre eclipses anything that comes to Ottawa.
Great fishing. University girls *cough*.
I dated a girl that works at the base down there. *sealing my lips* not sayin' nuttin. *wipes drool*

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
I also lived in Meaford 20 kms from the tank range.
You buggers used to wake me up early sunday mornings shelling not to mention the choppers at night.
Shook my house from 20 klicks away.
I used to laugh.
You'd go to the corner store and all the uniformed people were stocking up on bic lighters and chocolate bars.
Being a road Mechanic over there at one time as well, I always had to chuckle watching the column ahead as one unit would drop out and the poor Mechanic had to stop to try to get the old iron running again. Mind you, that was back in the day.
Hey, I helped weigh an F-18 at Base Borden once though.
They wanted to mount it on a concrete pad or something and needed to know the weight and since we carried scales and some of the lads were tight with the Base Lads... I could have had tons of helicopter rotor crates if I wanted them.
Don't mind me, the memories are flooding back to my old brain.
There are a lot of bases in some real fine spots.
I was the unnofficial Mechanic for the "seabees" in Barrie as well. (don't tell my former employer what I used to do with their service truck ;) )
They got a coast guard cutter for 1$ (way old) and I got it all fixed up and running for them.
You'd swear the radar looked just like on a map.
It was the old kind with the goggle eye section that you had tyo put your face right into.
We had a blast running up Lake Simcoe to Orillia with many Beer and a bbq.
We had to call a lad on an old bag phone to meet us at the doc in Orillia with more beer.
A young lady from the base saw us getting the ship ready and wanted to join us.
oops *sealing my lips* not sayin' Nuttin'
You're going to Love it. No worries.
Bring your fishing rod wherever you go.
I was chummy with a former Base Borden dispatcher that came to work as our dispatcher.
He could get you more cool stuff.
Sweaters/wallets/topagraphical maps of the lakes for fishing.
I'll shut up now.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I've moved all over Ontario 22 times. I enjoyed many years in Northern Ontario.
I am in the weeds about 20 miles North of the Border on the way to Ottawa.
Other than the odd city here and there, if you're not on the border, you're in the bush.
You'll Love Kingston. It's a great place. My head Office was there.
I retired from workinig out of Gananoque which is a half hour East of Kingston.
I drove 1.5 hrs each way for 12 hr shifts.
Kingston is just the best. Music at the K-Rock Centre eclipses anything that comes to Ottawa.
Great fishing. University girls *cough*.
I dated a girl that works at the base down there. *sealing my lips* not sayin' nuttin. *wipes drool*
Haha, I spent the last 3.5 months in Kingston training. It's absolutely gorgeous. My wife and I are freaking excited to be moving there. We love the water, and want to raise our son outdoors on lakes and rivers.

Sounds like you've got quite the history in the area. I reckon you'll be a good one to know when it counts time to start exploring. Expect a PM from me once we're on the ground and settled in. I'm thinking a beer (or ten) and some stories are in order.
I also lived in Meaford 20 kms from the tank range.
You buggers used to wake me up early sunday mornings shelling not to mention the choppers at night.
Shook my house from 20 klicks away.
I used to laugh.
You'd go to the corner store and all the uniformed people were stocking up on bic lighters and chocolate bars.
Being a road Mechanic over there at one time as well, I always had to chuckle watching the column ahead as one unit would drop out and the poor Mechanic had to stop to try to get the old iron running again. Mind you, that was back in the day.
Hey, I helped weigh an F-18 at Base Borden once though.
They wanted to mount it on a concrete pad or something and needed to know the weight and since we carried scales and some of the lads were tight with the Base Lads... I could have had tons of helicopter rotor crates if I wanted them.
Don't mind me, the memories are flooding back to my old brain.
There are a lot of bases in some real fine spots.
I was the unnofficial Mechanic for the "seabees" in Barrie as well. (don't tell my former employer what I used to do with their service truck ;) )
They got a coast guard cutter for 1$ (way old) and I got it all fixed up and running for them.
You'd swear the radar looked just like on a map.
It was the old kind with the goggle eye section that you had tyo put your face right into.
We had a blast running up Lake Simcoe to Orillia with many Beer and a bbq.
We had to call a lad on an old bag phone to meet us at the doc in Orillia with more beer.
A young lady from the base saw us getting the ship ready and wanted to join us.
oops *sealing my lips* not sayin' Nuttin'
You're going to Love it. No worries.
Bring your fishing rod wherever you go.
I was chummy with a former Base Borden dispatcher that came to work as our dispatcher.
He could get you more cool stuff.
Sweaters/wallets/topagraphical maps of the lakes for fishing.
I'll shut up now.
Haha, we do like to keep good working relations with lads off base. You never know when you'll need to be scratching each others backs.

I'll have to take back up fishing (a good thing. I haven't fished in years). I'm getting more and more excited for this move. Adios Deadmonton. Ha.

Yeah, the girls...
Ummmmm, it's hard not to look. I'm constantly working up an appetite, but I always eat at home. Haha.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
PM at will.
It would indeed be cool to meet you someday Blind Owl.
It's impossible for me to get to Kingston for a while.
I need new wheels bad. Mind you a snowmobile or dog team would be required today.
It is going above zero later today with rain expected on top of the foot of snow I got here.
I'll have to get out early so the blower can throw it instead of clogging the chute.
Then the freezing rain will come. Eastern Ontario is the freezing rain capital of the world I think.
The home I live in had a foot of water in the basement in the ice storm of '98.
Here's hoping my mailbox is still there. They have knocked it off with the plows as much as 8 times in one year.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Here is a handy link to bookmark for you Blind Owl.
You should see what I am seeing right now.
Just a wall of snow at 5 below and rising.
Time to get at 'er before the rain this afternoon. What a crazy province.
Between the snow and cutting down, cutting up, loading, bringing home the wood, chopping it up, piling it, hauling it indoors, lighting the fire, and generally breaking my back, it's looking like a typical day in the neighbourhood:

http://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=XFT

Forgot your password?