I m missing something?

Arcturos

Commander
May 21, 2018
RSI Handle
Ransford
The VAT thing wasn't there in 2016 when I bought my starter package. At least I don't think it was. What I dislike about their model right now is the fact that they separated the two games. You buy a 150$ game package but you do not get SQ42. I'd be fine with that but in the past both were offered with a pledge. So why split them? Kinda greedy. The VAT thing is the EU's "fault". Kinda lame that a 150$ package for the US is 180$ for us but it is what it is. Not CIGs fault.

Otherwise I approve of folks being grounded about the project and voicing their concerns. All should err on the side of caution and if they have any doubts for any reason, but still want to experience the game, plonk for a starter pack. The most you should invest is in a Titan. However if you have disposable income and feel the need to support the studio further - I thank you for making this game a possibility.

I will say this though - it is kinda lame that people with Auroras and Mustangs do not get to experience doing those package transport missions. I know it's going to take development time but I think attention should be given to that issue. Or at least grant those folks an Avenger. You can't buy ships in-game and you won't be able to for a while I presume /they do dodge answering that question A LOT which is kinda starting to annoy me/. So what's the harm in giving backers an Avenger? Or make just the Avenger purchasable so that they can do the missions. I think it turns people off once they see that their initial pledge is not enough and leaves a bad taste of being forced to spend more to fully enjoy the alpha. That was the reason I got an Avenger. But then I had some money to spare so I didn't mind. But this should not be the norm.

Also, when on the PTU - why are not all the ships unlocked? Or at least on the last PTU for 3.1.4 they weren't. Let people test them. What's the harm? The worse that could happen is someone takes the leap and buys a bigger ship than what they have. I don't get the logic behind that one. Feels stingy to me.

As for people feeling bad about seeing someone earn their 500$ ship.. Well, Chris Roberts always stated that everything will be obtainable in-game. So the people paying that much money should be well aware of the fact that at some point players will have the ship that they have. But I think this comes back to the point someone else made - you are not buying ships per se. You are funding development and the ships could be considered a gift of some sort? A thank you? At least that's how I see it.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The VAT thing wasn't there in 2016 when I bought my starter package. At least I don't think it was
Question to Canadians... Does CIG charge GST or some kind of HST on ship sales? My feeling is no, they don't - because they have no operational presence in Canada. But what taxes do they apply then? You can be sure as shit stinks and attracts flies that there is some rule somewhere about that.
They charge VAT in EU likely because they have offices there. If they didn't always charge VAT, it was probably a case of ... "Do we need to, well without knowing lets wait and see" because the non-compliance fines start off like speed bumps". they do. Then they become cliff's really fast after that. It's a business practice akin to "asking forgiveness is sometimes easier than asking for permission"

You are funding development and the ships could be considered a gift of some sort? A thank you? At least that's how I see it.
Works for me! That's pretty much exactly how it works. Without the thank you sort of thing (the ships) a lot of the money would dry up quickly. Ship sales is an obvious way to keep momentum.

Arcturos

Commander
May 21, 2018
RSI Handle
Ransford
Yes, and that is why I think they won't do the "Buying ships from Kiosks" feature anytime soon. If I can get that Andromeda, for example, by grinding in the Alpha, why give them the 270$ for the package. Granted, they could make the prices higher than usual in terms of aUEC, but I think that will put players off. They will start thinking that those will be the final prices, or near it, will deem it a huge grind and possibly jump ship.

But if they have no intention of doing it, which to me seems to be the case, why say you are going to do it? As it stands right now, I think a lot of new backers are probably annoyed by the fact that they spent 78$ for SQ 42 and Star Citizen or 54$ for just Star Citizen (those are prices with VAT, at least for me) but can't do neither trading, nor package transport missions. And those are most of the missions that are offered and give one of the better pay checks - 340 aUEC. Until the cargo containers are in-game, as I said, why not grant everyone an Avenger? They are, to me, at times starting to come off as rather stingy and greedy.

@Shadow Reaper: No, they are not. And yet a lot of the alpha is trading and moving stuff around from moon to moon. And those people can't do it. Yes, there is combat but with all the stuttering and low FPS it's not exactly a blast. Hell, there are missions that task you to retrieve a black box. They can't do those either.

Vouch

Commander
Feb 20, 2018
RSI Handle
Vouch
I feel you guys/gals have it right, and I've seen every thing mentioned that I could have thought of to say.

I only have one ship. I want all ships though. If I had a budget that afforded me the opportunity to have more ships I would.

I don't think I would do it with the wholesomeness of "im helping fund the game" or for the "I will have the biggest ship muahahhahaaa".

I'd buy because that looks cool/interesting, and I just want it.

Others have the ability to do it, and I've found that crewing for them is in some cases more fun than worrying about the logistics it' going to take to own them.

But I still have the wantsies!

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I'd buy because that looks cool/interesting, and I just want it.
Don't let us kid you too much. For those who can afford it, that is also a very strong portion of the motivation. It isn't that that the "feeling of the dream" isn't real, that's kind of the point though. The "Wantses" is certainly part of it, otherwise yeah I'd go waste money on something else for sure.

To those who think that's foolish. What, I'm gonna be able to take it with me?

Last edited:

Firen

Vice Admiral
Feb 6, 2018
RSI Handle
jeremyD
It s always the same things that come back:
- You think spending 200€ a month on cigarettes is ok then good for you
- You prefer spend 200€ on beers, that s good for you to
- For an other person it would be 200€ on cloths that they will wear maybe 2 or 3 times only
- Some prefère to go partying all weekends and end up spending those 200€
- You might be a car custom maniac and spend 200€ a month in accessory, paintjob whats over
- You can be a collector and spend 200€ on baseball cards, stamps, insert what ever you want there.
- You can save 200€ each month just to be able to get ships in starcitizen.
- You can save 200€ a month to be able to get great oversee vacation.
- and the list could go on and on,....

Beeing tangible, or virtual, each individuals defines there own values. My only advice would be do it if you like it and if it doesnt hinder you in your way of life. If you have to choose between buying a concept ship or paying the house mortage.................... i m not here to take the décision for you but i m sure you know the answer.

I used to work in a card collector shop when i was younger, that s were i came to understand that you cant buy your week food supply with that 120€ rare magic the gathering card you spent all your allowance on (damn those students that could starve a whole week just for a cardboard end).

Last edited:

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
It s always the same things that come back:
- You think spending 200€ a month on cigarettes is ok then good for you
- You prefer spend 200€ on beers, that s good for you to
- For an other person it would be 200€ on cloths that they will wear maybe 2 or 3 times only
- Some prefère to go partying all weekends and end up spending those 200€
- You might be a car custom maniac and spend 200€ a month in accessory, paintjob whats over
- You can be a collector and spend 200€ on baseball cards, stamps, insert what ever you want there.
- You can save 200€ each month just to be able to get ships in starcitizen.
- You can save 200€ a month to be able to get great oversee vacation.
- and the list could go on and on,....

Beeing tangible, or virtual, each individuals defines there own values. My only advice would be do it if you like it and it doesnt hinder you in your way of life. If you have to choose between buying a concept ship or paying the house mortage.................... i m not here to take the décision for you but i m sure you know the answer.

I used to work in a card collector shop when i was younger, that s were i came to understand that you cant buy your week food supply with that 120€ rare magic the gathering card you spent all your allowance on (damn those students that could starve a whole week just for a cardboard end).
or youre just poor and broke
(ಥ‸ಥ) ^^

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Question to Canadians... Does CIG charge GST or some kind of HST on ship sales? My feeling is no, they don't - because they have no operational presence in Canada. But what taxes do they apply then? You can be sure as shit stinks and attracts flies that there is some rule somewhere about that.
No taxes. At all. And I can chose to pay in USD, GBP, or EURO. In the past, before adjustments, I would buy in Euro's because the exchange rate was so much better than USD.

If anyone in the EU wants to avoid VAT, I will happily purchase the ship for you and gift it. It will save you a bundle.
Ships are hard.
https://testsquadron.com/threads/why-are-ships-so-hard-this-may-be-a-shitpost.7810/

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
No taxes. At all. And I can chose to pay in USD, GBP, or EURO. In the past, before adjustments, I would buy in Euro's because the exchange rate was so much better than USD.
What a magical place Canadia must be. :sob:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
What a magical place Canadia must be. :sob:
Why, yes it is. You should visit, its like a gift from God. Beautiful countryside, all 4 seasons (they're called: Almost winter, Winter, still Winter, and Construction), Endless forests, mountains, nice people who say Sorry a bit more often than is necessary... and put eh at the end of half their sentences.

But everything is in balance though, wait till you see the pack of loud mouth schnooks God put us next to. (They call it New York...)

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Why, yes it is. You should visit, its like a gift from God. Beautiful countryside, all 4 seasons (they're called: Almost winter, Winter, still Winter, and Construction), Endless forests, mountains, nice people who say Sorry a bit more often than is necessary... and put eh at the end of half their sentences.

But everything is in balance though, wait till you see the pack of loud mouth schnooks God put us next to. (They call it New York...)
Ahhhhhhh, home sweet igloo!
i was subtly hinting at that. lol
Wasn't very subtle: I got it. Haha. ;)

Forgot your password?