I need installation troubleshooting help!

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
I just plugged in my GeForce 3070 card while watching Citcon. I checked that my 850w PS could take the weight online.

My 1070 card pulled 145w out and I checked that the 3070 came in at 220w usage, I then put the recommended 2x 6+2pin VGA cables that went into the PS and the other end 8pin into the card. Plugged everything back in and only get a half second spike then it shuts off. I've tried different outlets to confirm that it wasn't my backup battery causing the issue as well.

The entire build is 8 years old, prior to connecting anything I cleared the dust out pretty well IMO, even took a blower and brush to the radiator to get as much as I could off. Does anyone have suggestions I might try before I take her into MicroCenter so a professional can look at it?

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
You shouldn't be having a lack of power issue upgrading from the 1070 to the 3070 with that size power supply. So my best suggestion is to uninstall & reinstall the power cables for your GPU from both the card & the PSU, then reinstall them while making sure that each connector is fully seated before trying to power it up. You also might want to try using the blower to blow out any dust from the power supply cable ports if they have been unused before or during your case clean out. I'm not a pro by any means, but I've built a few PCs & these things are how I've solved this issue a couple times in the past.Worst case scenario, no improvement, but at least no harm caused either. Best of luck my friend.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Personally first step I'd do is roll back to the old card and make sure it turns on with that one and nothing has gone squiffy with your machine while installing the new card, like ram was knocked etc.

Once it posts with the old card I'd be tempted to try running a GPU + CPU stress test and monitoring the system to see if that high power draw causes the same cut out issue or at least see how much the max draw your PSU has had to put up with previously.

At that point I'd then put the new card in and hold my breath. The PSU should not have a problem but if it's been running at 400w for near on a decade there is a chance it's top end may be a little stale?

What's your CPU? What other power drain components do you have, HDD? Got a bunch of fans in the case which need a kick to spin up?

• Glorious

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Personally first step I'd do is roll back to the old card and make sure it turns on with that one and nothing has gone squiffy with your machine while installing the new card, like ram was knocked etc.

Once it posts with the old card I'd be tempted to try running a GPU + CPU stress test and monitoring the system to see if that high power draw causes the same cut out issue or at least see how much the max draw your PSU has had to put up with previously.

At that point I'd then put the new card in and hold my breath. The PSU should not have a problem but if it's been running at 400w for near on a decade there is a chance it's top end may be a little stale?

What's your CPU? What other power drain components do you have, HDD? Got a bunch of fans in the case which need a kick to spin up?
I failed to think about this advice, but it is definitely worth it's weight in whatever is deemed valuable in this situation.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
So many simple things it could be, poorly seated PSU cable, poorly seated card, accidentally knocking a memory stick or other item loose. That is before you even start thinking about PSU decided now was the perfect time to retire. Going back to a "known good" is a great place to start troubling shooting issues like this. While doing that, do a thorough check of all other connections and connected items.

I recently had a HD go bad on my old system and it took a little while to figure out that is what it was. System worked one day, next it would go into a BIOS death spiral. Disconnected the HDs (still need to figure out which one it was), system fired right up like normal.

Is the 3070 a new card or a "known good" card?

Wait until you have to troubleshoot a bad memory cell on your boot SSD/M.2. I had one die and it would let me go to login screen, then restart when you entered your info and go back to the login screen. Managed to trick it past the login screen and noticed a difference between what it should read for memory and what it was reading. Let Windows do a reinstall and it ran fine, it just ignored the dead memory cells. Worked until I had the time to pull the system apart and swap out the bad M.2.

Last edited:

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
Intel i7-4770 quad w/ liquid CPU cooler
atx lga1150 mb
32gb ddr3 ram
1tb ssd, 1tb hhd
and about 10-12 fans in a full ATX case

MB spools up with two lights on the gpu card indicating no power connection. When I start plugging things back into the ps that's when it gets wonky. So yeah I think the top end of the ps is gone after 8 years.

Put in a quote request for repair and some additional tweaks like getting the hhd replaced with another ssd and a smaller ssd added to house everything SC related. Once that's done I'm going to start shopping for a new computer build. What I have is a solid rig without overclocking anything so I figure the same approach would work with mb/cpu/ram upgrades in a smaller case.

@Mio Fujii Is the 3070 a new card or a "known good" card?
Bought it off ebay used

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Intel i7-4770 quad w/ liquid CPU cooler
atx lga1150 mb
32gb ddr3 ram
1tb ssd, 1tb hhd
and about 10-12 fans in a full ATX case

MB spools up with two lights on the gpu card indicating no power connection. When I start plugging things back into the ps that's when it gets wonky. So yeah I think the top end of the ps is gone after 8 years.

Put in a quote request for repair and some additional tweaks like getting the hhd replaced with another ssd and a smaller ssd added to house everything SC related. Once that's done I'm going to start shopping for a new computer build. What I have is a solid rig without overclocking anything so I figure the same approach would work with mb/cpu/ram upgrades in a smaller case.

@Mio Fujii Is the 3070 a new card or a "known good" card?
Bought it off ebay used
Thanks for the update!

My own machine is an AMD FX8350, 24gb 1600 Ram, RX50 4gb on a 550w corsair power supply... I'm well out of the zone of being able to upgrade any of it without stripping out the insides and starting over so my next machine will be built on release of s42 and will have to last out the release of SC.

The main issue for upgrading my machine (other than it being the age of the universe in technology terms) I think really is Resizeable Bar. Any modern GPU will need re-bar to take advantage of the cards full potential or I'll be hitting a bottleneck with that modern tech, so a lot of legacy parts I might have been able to build a higher performance budget build as I did with the FX8350 (got the CPU for £70 for obvious reasons) are off the table if I want a modern GPU which is the one part I'd definitely go current/last generation while being happy with 4+ generations old for most other things.

• o7

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
  • o7

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Your motherboard is definitely old enough to only have PCIe 3, not PCIe 4, which can still manage the 3070. However, have you confirmed whether you're plugging the card into a 16x slot? From what I've read, if it isn't a 16x slot then odd issues can be experienced.
Though, as @Mio Fujii pointed out, that card has an high risk of being a crypto mining card at the end of its life.

• o7

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
@NaffNaffBobFace @Talonsbane
Well Kaylee got me back to limping with my original setup. Got my kb/m and hotas up and running. Watching the I held the line video and leaving the sides open as it's almost bedtime for me.
@Mio Fujii @Deroth
Yeah I know what I most likely got was a mining card. It's been able to power up thru the mb enough to display no power connections lights, seems like a ps issue for now based on the troubleshooting.

Thanks everyone for the guidance and support. Now I'm going to leave it to a professional to solve the rest!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Sorry about the issues with the new card, but I'm happy that you're at least back up & running to some degree again my friend.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I have the old GPU up in the top pci slot, can I take the new one (remove the old) and put it in another? I'd like to test it with the old card first.
Alas I think we've reached the limits of my experience, I've not tried this so have no knowledge on if this would work sorry.

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
You can technically run 2 pci cards at the same time. I think you would have to specify the "primary" card and that would be the one you would get the signal from.

• o7

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
You can technically run 2 pci cards at the same time. I think you would have to specify the "primary" card and that would be the one you would get the signal from.
I've seen setups running multiple cards, I'm not, just wanting to upgrade the one I have. But I tried another PCI slot, got the 1070 running but the ps wouldn't run the 3070.

I think I've troubleshot this enough to narrow down the problem.

• o7

Mio Fujii

Commander
Donor
Sep 15, 2023
RSI Handle
Mio_Fujii
The 3000 series are the last Nvidia cards that can be run in SLI. I wish they kept that tech, but they decided to move on from it. You can still run 2 cards, but it would be for things like having one card take over all the phyx calculations or maybe one for VR, one for a monitor.

• o7

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
I figured with the card upgrade buying me a couple of years then pulling as many components as I can afford over the next 12-18 months. So let me plan that instead of geek speaking me about what I have now please.

• o7

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I figured with the card upgrade buying me a couple of years then pulling as many components as I can afford over the next 12-18 months. So let me plan that instead of geek speaking me about what I have now please.
Now now citizen, written communication is not easy to get tone across especially when talking to people about a subject you are familiar with but they are not. Your question if you could put your 3070 in the second pcie slot, which I definitely didn't know, was answered: technically yes you can and you could even take it further if you so desired but SLI twin carding is obsolete tech now :like:

Although all signs to this point suggest the issue is the power supply there is still a possibility it may not be, which won't be answered until a known working power supply can be rigged up to the machine and tried with the more powerful card. Unless you feel like finding a spare PS and pulling some cables (an easy way to see the magic smoke that makes computers work of a mistake is made) only your local tech doctor will be able to pinpoint the problem with the patient on the operating table in front of them :-)

Last edited:
  • o7
Forgot your password?