I'm seeing a shitstorm blowing over Spectrum way...

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
... 3.15 heal mechanics are being exploited by some people in armistice zones to Overdose victims and leave them unconscious on the floor.

Apparently it was funny for the first five minutes until it stopped people from claiming their craft and playing the game.

The obvious response is it's the PTU, of course all shit is going to break loose. I've seen one or two posts by people connected to the Evo saying it was a known issue though.

Expect this all to blow itself out when the devs balance the penalty for overdosing someone in an armistice zone from a small fine as it is now to Security blowing their heads clean off and respawning in the Kelscher secure wing for a 3 hour stay.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
... 3.15 heal mechanics are being exploited by some people in armistice zones to Overdose victims and leave them unconscious on the floor.

Apparently it was funny for the first five minutes until it stopped people from claiming their craft and playing the game.

The obvious response is it's the PTU, of course all shit is going to break loose. I've seen one or two posts by people connected to the Evo saying it was a known issue though.

Expect this all to blow itself out when the devs balance the penalty for overdosing someone in an armistice zone from a small fine as it is now to Security blowing their heads clean off and respawning in the Kelscher secure wing for a 3 hour stay.
Oh and you can bomb and destroy ships inside the Armistice zone by just flying high enough.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264

or maybe if the player ODs the victim they should have to do some sort of medical recertification course after 3 people (make it lengthy)

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar

Tonight I was in Grim Hex, PTU, participating in the stream event from Terada, and some guy named Horlos (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/Horlos got his name through sending a friend request) was trolling people for more than 1 hour when they were at the consoles dealing with their ships. He was sneaking behind everyone litteraly, and using the medical gun to overdose them, quickly retreating after. Or he was camping the medical beds downstairs to do the same.

Of course no crime stat since it is Grim Hex. He eventually stopped when I told him I took many screenshots...

Since he was french (according to his bio on RSI) I suspect he was here to stream snipe Terada.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Just as expected with the drug pistol, but I did not expect the bombing to work. I thought CiG wasn't this dumb and realised that it will the first thing exploited to hell. It was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it in action (thanks @wmk fro the vid!).
I expected that the bomb would simply stop existing after a certain time of travel like all weapons do.
I hope they fix up the "crime detection" for both of these and apply severe enough penalties to scare away ppl from trolling too much.
But it's an MMO, there always will be some trolling unless you restrict everything, but then the whole game looses it's unique touch...

@vahadar It's GrimHex, that's the point, supposedly that it's absolutely lawless and you can do whatever, which in this case includes trolling, sadly... Altough I would like to see a few NPC pirates walking around as sort of guards and shooting you if you commit crimes aboard the station maybe? No crimestat just get shot if you shoot? Again, it might be too much "law" for a totally lawless place, but it's clearly not totally abandoned, there should be a faction in control keeping the place running and keeping it mostly civilised?? I dunno the lore part, but it would make sense to me. If I were a pirate lord I would certainly enforce a no random shootings environment, but meh, what do I know.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
@vahadar It's GrimHex, that's the point, supposedly that it's absolutely lawless and you can do whatever, which in this case includes trolling, sadly... Altough I would like to see a few NPC pirates walking around as sort of guards and shooting you if you commit crimes aboard the station maybe? No crimestat just get shot if you shoot? Again, it might be too much "law" for a totally lawless place, but it's clearly not totally abandoned, there should be a faction in control keeping the place running and keeping it mostly civilised?? I dunno the lore part, but it would make sense to me. If I were a pirate lord I would certainly enforce a no random shootings environment, but meh, what do I know.
Pirate station does not mean anarchy :) If a psycho is on the loose anywhere, it will end with a bullet between both eyes especially in Grim Hex :) Grim Hex is fine the way it is without crimestat (I was not arguing about that), but like you said they need to be some kind of "pirate police", like you broke the code, you deserve to be punished somehow. Or if someone initiate an hostile action against you, even if it is armistice, you are allowed to retaliate and kill him, because here you are defenseless.

Here it is beyond that point, the guy was simply harrassing people over and over, preventing them to move, and making them die again and again.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
I hope CIG will remove overdosing after reading all those reddit and spectrum posts. The game is not ready for this dangerous feature yet.
It could be implemented again once armistice zones are gone -- they are temporary after all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the posts for reference;

Last edited:

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Tonight I was in Grim Hex, PTU, participating in the stream event from Terada, and some guy named Horlos (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/Horlos got his name through sending a friend request) was trolling people for more than 1 hour when they were at the consoles dealing with their ships. He was sneaking behind everyone litteraly, and using the medical gun to overdose them, quickly retreating after. Or he was camping the medical beds downstairs to do the same.

Of course no crime stat since it is Grim Hex. He eventually stopped when I told him I took many screenshots...

Since he was french (according to his bio on RSI) I suspect he was here to stream snipe Terada.
Jackass trolls like this deserve no less than a complete ban for at least a quarter for their 1st strike, a year for their 2nd if they didn't learn from their 1st ban & until official launch for a 3rd strike. Then post their names publicly to make shameful examples of them.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The argument that "It's the PTU, it's testing" goes out the window when it's a single player harassing people/an area for an extended amount of time. Testing in the PTU is finding the bug, then checking if its repeatable, then reporting it, then others check if it's repeatable, then it gets a fix.

I've bee argued with by players saying it isn't harassment because harassment has to be targeted against a single person and repeated multiple times to qualify. That's how targeted harassment works, yes, however if an arsehole is harassing someone on the highstreet, the original victim walks away from the situation but the arsehole continues to holler at shop staff and passers by, they are still harassing people in an untargeted manner.

From what I have seen it appears to be people who want to use other players as their game content who argue that untargeted harassment is okay to do. They don't care who they are using for their content, just that they have someone to mess with and they don't want that to be taken away from them.

Interestingly, I have seen zero push back from the PvP crowd this time. No "Git Gud", just a little "well drug them back then".

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Wave 1 of PTU
As always, I suspect it is mostly Streamers 'entertaining' their audience - have to make a living after all.
This always calms down after a few days when the novelty wears off...it will however happen again the first few days of Live as many people are anxious to 'have fun' as well.
Having said all this, it does help the DEVs (but irritates us) to indentify these isues now and find ways to prevent/limit it.

-> You could carry the tractor beam gun and move these people to the other side of the room. Just a thought, I would never encourage this type of nautiness.hehehehe
Hang in there, it will get better.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Solution is simple.. make the medic gun ( hardware ) impossible to medicate a patient more than they need..
As in if someone have perfect health the medic tool simply don't work on a player that don't need it..

if there is a injury it only give the amount needed to give a player character 100% health then it simply turn off.
How they didn't think of that is what bother me the most CIG's lack of thinking ahead what is the CON and how to eliminate the CON.
Before making it a thing they add in PTU ..

IMO it's lazy they make a new thing then throw it in and see how it works or being used then change it.. and 99% of the time it need serious change.
And some time they remove it all together cause the idea sounded good on paper but was horrible idea for the game..

So why not just start think ahead a bit more.. and assume that player will use what ever it is in a way it was not meant to be used from the start.
Hence they can prevent a lot of extra work changing and remake and dragging out a implementation that could bee fairly good 1st time in if there been some think ahead.

But then of cause if it was made to good from the start we lose a lot a stupid silly funny moment... but then is that what we want or is is a functional fun game..

I vote for a fair good made working from implementation day, rather than half ass thought through idea that need 100 changes and remakes..... etc..

CHEERS! 🍻

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Solution is simple.. make the medic gun ( hardware ) impossible to medicate a patient more than they need..
As in if someone have perfect health the medic tool simply don't work on a player that don't need it..

if there is a injury it only give the amount needed to give a player character 100% health then it simply turn off.
Simple, effective idea 🍻

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I say this is a prime example of why we should be able to identify every single player's handle in game by looking at them. Then when asshole trolls like these pop up, their names can be blasted & they can be listed as KoS or shunned across the Verse until they rage quit. Although they're most likely narcissists to some degree & will just claim that they're the victims of bullying when that's what got them targeted.

Be it online or RL, I have a simple philosophy, ALL bullies deserve public humiliation & then death death if they continue. Yes I know that's a bit extreme, but I've endured enough bullying to not view bullies as human, but as rabies infested human shaped vermin in need of extermination.

Thus CIG better pull their collective heads out of their developing asses to find a solution to nerf these rabid monkeys from their abilities troll with impunity. Such as by exposing their names so that they can be hunted & slaughtered or as @Mich Angel suggested, just make those devices unable to give overdoses.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
The med gun works the way it does because they wanted to bring in the usual MMO trope of Magic Potion, but with the overdose system limiting how much you can use it to keep it somewhat grounded in reality and prevent the stacking of every single buff available. I expect they want to bring in more types of drugs, from simple ones that increase G force tolerance for racing/combat to exotic alien drugs that gives you Predator vision. It could also tie into the science and farm modules on the endeavor ( or whatever that modular research ship is called) where you could concoct your own stuff, including poisons I presume. So, tons of potential gameplay in that little medgun!
I think it's a great idea and should be kept as is function wise.

Hopefully the trollin gets less prevalent after it goes live for a while and ppl get banned, as is usually the case.
I still don't get why we can't see each others names instantly from a certain distance if we want to. For immersion you could be allowed to turn the system off, as in about every MMO ever, but gives us the option to see who's messing with us.

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Who could have seen this level of trolling coming :drunk:
You can stick these weeds in jail all day and they will just go play another game until the sentence is over and troll all over again.
Will be interesting to see how the Dev team handles this one:o7:

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Well, I'm sick & tired of CIG effectively promoting these sorts of bullying tactics & efforts. So I just made a post demanding that CIG do something about it as well as end the anonymity of players that attack others. I'd like the support of as many of you as would be willing to upvote my post to force CIG to respond.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/enough-is-enough-it-s-time-to-end-the-anonymity-of/284012
Your post is a bit hostile and you didn't make it clear that you mean names should be over player's heads when on foot, so a lot of people seem to think you're complaining about being attacked in your ship as opposed to being ODed inside armistice zones.

You might get better feedback from a new thread that clearly states the need for the option to see players names when on foot.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
So why not just start think ahead a bit more.. and assume that player will use what ever it is in a way it was not meant to be used from the start.
Hence they can prevent a lot of extra work changing and remake and dragging out a implementation that could bee fairly good 1st time in if there been some think ahead.
Because it is amazingly difficult to come up with all of the ways that others will find to abuse the system. And in other ways, it's both effective and much cheaper to simply release a new game feature see how it is used and abused, and then go about figuring out how to adjust it to make it impossible or very difficult to use it in any other way than its intended function.

But in the end, trolls will be trolls and it will be interesting to see how CIG handles them with the reputation system. It does remind me of finding out as a Coercer in EQ2 that I could kill AFK players on the pier by dropping a charmed mob there. In the end, the truth is people are very creative and will find loopholes and means to gain an advantage by bending the game rules and it will be up to us to report the means so that CIG can patch it. In many ways, the abuse of the medical gun and bombs now means that in the future it shouldn't be an issue when it truly matters.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Personally I don't think CIG wants to bring in arbitrary limitations on what players can do with an ability if it doesn't match what would happen in reality... basically making abilities unrestricted and SC akin Real Life in game form...

It has been stated multiple times the end goal is to get rid of armistice zones entirely and once that happens the bullets will either fly everywhere you go or everyone is going to behave themselves. What stops people from running around and being psychopaths in reality? Well, Real Life is Real Life and a Game is a Game. Getting people out of the mindset of "iF WeRe AbLe tO dO iT tHaT iZ sAnCtIoNeD pErMiSsIoN fRoM tHe dEvS tO dO sO oR u wOuLd nOt bE AbLe 2 dO iT." is going to be the big challenge if I am correct on that. I can only think having a very clear tickbox when making an account saying "this is RL in a game, you mess around like a dick, we'll delete your access. Take that nonsense to the games inside the game: Star Marine, Arena Commander or Theaters of War (if that ever comes along) if you need to get some antisocial escapism."

I saw someone over on Spectrum come up with an elegant solution to the ODing: Armour blocks Heals as well as Harms.

This makes sense, it's a barrier but if you are hurt enough to need healing your armour is already compromised to have let the damage in so would also let the heal through if you were hurt. If you got hurt by fall damage or something, the healer could spend 5 seconds pulling a piece of armour off which can be cancelled easily by pulling away from the "medic" if you were not hurt and perhaps the act of doing that could injure them a little bit instead?

It's a simple elegant solution and one which works with the whole Reality Fidelity thing.

Last edited:

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Personally I don't think CIG wants to bring in arbitrary limitations on what players can do with an ability if it doesn't match what would happen in reality... basically making abilities unrestricted and SC akin Real Life in game form...

It has been stated multiple times the end goal is to get rid of armistice zones entirely and once that happens the bullets will either fly everywhere you go or everyone is going to behave themselves. What stops people from running around and being psychopaths in reality? Well, Real Life is Real Life and a Game is a Game. Getting people out of the mindset of "iF WeRe AbLe tO dO iT tHaT iZ sAnCtIoNeD pErMiSsIoN fRoM tHe dEvS tO dO sO oR u wOuLd nOt bE AbLe 2 dO iT." is going to be the big challenge if I am correct on that. I can only think having a very clear tickbox when making an account saying "this is RL in a game, you mess around like a dick, we'll delete your access. Take that nonsense to the games inside the game: Star Marine, Arena Commander or Theaters of War (if that ever comes along) if you need to get some antisocial escapism."

I saw someone over on Spectrum come up with an elegant solution to the ODing: Armour blocks Heals as well as Harms.

This makes sense, it's a barrier but if you are hurt enough to need healing your armour is already compromised to have let the damage in so would also let the heal through if you were hurt. If you got hurt by fall damage or something, the healer could spend 5 seconds pulling a piece of armour off which can be cancelled easily by pulling away from the "medic" if you were not hurt and perhaps the act of doing that could injure them a little bit instead?

It's a simple elegant solution and one which works with the whole Reality Fidelity thing.
A consent prompt would also be an elegant simple solution, could even add a menu option to inherently accept/reject medical treatment if you don't make a selection from the prompt.

Forgot your password?