Intel or AMD, for new PC?

Intel or AMD for new system to play Star Citizen?

• Total voters

Anni Hillator

Admiral
Jan 6, 2017
RSI Handle
Natarajahaha
Hi fellows,

I am planning to buy a new game PC somewhere after 3.0 release.
I was looking at the options and had a discussion with my friend about the CPU, mainly the intel 7700K with 4 cores on 4.0 Ghz vs Ryzen 7 with 8 cores on 3.6 Ghz.

Does anyone know if for Star Citizen it is better to have the fastest cores or better to have allot of cores?

And i heard that they will use Vulkan which would be better for AMD systems.

In short I wonder what you guys think, if I buy a new system for the sole purpose of playing Star Citizen, should I build an Intel / Nvidia system, or an AMD Ryzen / (Vega) system?

What CPU or GPU (Or other parts) would you advise voor Star Citizen?

(I plan to spend around 1.5 / 2K on the system)

Let me know your thoughts!

Greets from Anni

Reactions: AstroSam

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Ryzen, definitely. 1600x.

Oh, and wait for AMD Vega GPU which will released next month.

Cheers!
Astro

Reactions: Anni Hillator

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Based on my experience, Intel all the way! (although I gotta admit that AMD stepped up to the game this time) We know literally nothing about how Ryzen will perform in the long run, the Intels' are proven to work just fine. I never in my life had any issues with Intel CPU's, while the AMDs melted to slag in my friends' machines. That said, Ryzen is cheaper and in syntethic tests it shows better value/price.
Faster speeds are still more important for games than more cores. Usually 4 is all they can handle efficiently. If you are not planning on doing stuff like rendering or simulations, or multiple virtual machines, I'd go for speed.
A GTX1080 should work fine for SC, I guess? I got a 1060 6gig and it runs as expected, usually 15-40fps in Crusader, 80-120fps everywhere else.

But as @AstroSam said, you could wait for the Vega, unless you have use for the Cuda cores on NVidia cards. AMD graphics are pretty solid.

TL.DR.: in my experience, AMD only works better/same as Intel on paper and in syntethic tests, but your mileage will vary. I'd go Intel/NVidia.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I'm currently on ryzen (1700) paired with a evga 1060sc and star citizen loves it, so far pretty much everything uses the cores more than I thought they would. Side note SC likes cores. As far as gpu I would wait to see what amd offers (should be really soon) and what nvidia deals pop up around that time.

Sportsvee

Commander
Sep 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Sportsvee
I have always preferred AMD but it is mostly a personal choice.
Ditto. I always seemed to prefer AMD but my current build is an Intel. Everything just seemed to fit/flow smoother. Plus it was before AMD lifted their game.

Personal choice, and there is almost too much info out there which makes the choice harder. Might be better to find a Motherboard you like best & narrow your chips that way.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I'd still be going intel, great overclocking great single thread performance.

Joehockey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Apr 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Joehockey
Everything I have seen and read about the 7700k is that is the next Sandy Bridge. Overclocks like a powerhouse and shows up when it matters most for a significant life span.

Yeah the Ryzen cpu's are very capable and fairly high quality. But, by the time you or I move on to actually rebuilding, I'd suspect Intel to show up with a newer, faster, better cpu series/generation/line.

Think it over, compare and contrast, and make sure that you know exactly what you are getting. Don't get one over the other just because of what we/I say or off of your first impression Plan ahead and make sure that you are truly understanding of what each cpu is capable versus the other and then you will know.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Time will show. Currently, all (gaming) software is optimized for intel CPUs. We will see if this will change somehow during the upcoming months.
I personally always was related to AMD cause they produced here in Germany. But the past years were bitter ones for them, so I'm totally happy that they are back on track. It wouldn't be good - for all of us - if only Intel would be left on the market.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Hmmm, yeah, the current direction in gaming world is shifting from faster single core speeds to more cores. Or well, that's the general feel I've gathered from various sources. So 8 cores @ 3.6 Ghz might not be a bad deal at all. 100% more cores with 10% lower clocks is still almost double the computing power I suppose, if we think in overly simplified terms.

As for the video card, well, can't say what's available come August, so not sure if you should go green or red there. Since you're not on an unlimited budged, I'm guessing AMD will have a cheaper card for few % lower FPS. At least that's the case more often than not.

Reactions: mromutt

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Forgot your password?