Interest in a Book Club?

Yay or nay?

• Total voters

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I also am reading (well...re-reading) the dresden files since you mentioned fantasy as well. I honestly haven't been doing a lot of reading until recently, now i'm cycling between 3 series ( the last one isn't sci-fi or fantasy) so it could be fun

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
I'm just going to post my reading list for July, at least the first 7 books I've decided on. I should note, many of the novels listed below are rather controversial due to their contents being rather... grotesque or obscene are the only fitting words. (I made one edit, one novel was a bit too much for this list)

1. Les Particules élémentaires (The Elementary Particles) by Michel Houellebecq published 1998
2. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov published 1955 (I can't really recommend we cover this book due to the nature of it's content, although it is arguably in the top 10 English novels of all time)
3. The End of Alice by A.M. Holmes published 1996 (this may be significantly more content heavy than the other novels on this list. Quoting a review "Homes manages — with language both lyrical and frighteningly direct — to usher the reader into the horrific landscape of a disturbed mind and, at the same time, of a funny, vulnerable, ultimately very sad human being.")
4. The U.S.A. Trilogy by John Dos Passos published 1938
5. The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum published 1989
6. The Turner Diaries by William Luther Pierce published 1978(a seriously messed up piece written by a self proclaimed white supremacist, advocates racism and antisemitism to an extreme degree)
7. Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo published 1938(one of the best anti-war novels of all time)

So why did I decide to copy and paste this list (and add light commentary) because I was bored, it's late, and I am going to have to write a paper soon on this form of literature, so unfortunately next month will be a slog through these wretched novel. That said, number four is an excellent trilogy according to the Officer buddy of mine who recommended it, though it is an extremely experimental novel with a format not often replicated.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Okay so both booth and movie club then!
Hey, have they changed the rules of Booth Club? When I joined they said the first and second rules were that you weren't allowed to talk about it...?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
What is book?!!
"Book" is an archaic noun, which describes an old technology method for the storage and transmission of large amounts of information, typically stored on stacks of collated and bound paper. The technology had an overall bit-rate that was only slightly faster than carrier pigeon, and it's reliability was dubious due to the skills required to use and interpret the information.
The technology was not universally accepted, and never achieved 100% coverage due to deficiencies in the distribution, differences in languages, and the cost required to train users to an acceptable proficiency level. Consequently, many regions and cultures simply did not bother except for select "elite" individuals.

Though this technology is still supported to some extent, it has been deprecated in favor of "files" that can be transmitted over the internet, and stored on mobile devices for later presentation to the user. Though the new technology is similar in some respects to the old technology, it can also be translated to other formats such as audio quite readily. This new technology has additional benefits, since files are able to proliferate quickly via Amazon Prime, and other such services. Additionally, files tend to perform at an unacceptable level compared with books, when groups of irate users try to burn them.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
you mean I don't need to put batteries in these? I still can't find the "On/Off" switch...SOMEBODY HELP ME!
View attachment 10218
I don't know what it is about the Witcher books, but I really could not enjoy them. I just found the writing awkward and while the story was good it just... wasn't great? I dunno. I felt the same way about the games.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
OK I do books with you.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Yes it is. But Windows ME was more reliable than Mobiglass.
ZING! omg, when people compare something to WinME, you know it has to be bad !

[RANT]
I know it is still alpha, but if this is CR's hallmark vision of one aspect of SC, you would think they would make it work!

My beef...Mobi-Glass in your cockpit is like pretending bluetooth technology disappeared after the 21st century. Yeah, when you are out of your cockpit and on foot, you have a virtual MFD/heads-up display. But, when you are in your cockpit, you don't need the @#%$ things 'cuz you got *real* MFD's and the 29th century equivalent of Siri and Alexa to do all your commands.

It makes no sense to me to request a landing by holding up my wrist & activating this thing, thereby dropping my hand off the control and not being able to focus on where the ship is going, and thus not even being able to control my ship.

For the love of all that is right, do something about this abomination!
[/RANT]

Reactions: Thugari and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Trivia question about that. What letters were effectively removed from the English alphabet as a result of the adoption of the movable type printing press? Many of them are still officially part of the alphabet, but more as an appendix, and not commonly taught.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I don't know what it is about the Witcher books, but I really could not enjoy them. I just found the writing awkward and while the story was good it just... wasn't great? I dunno. I felt the same way about the games.
I thought the writing was good. I have no idea how the English translation compares to the original Polish.

I thought the story was really good up until the end, and then I felt kinda cheated. I thought the story was good on its own, and there was no reason to intersect it with another story, Don't want to give away too much, but I thought the end cheapened the whole effort, but that it was pretty good up until then. Then, the bottom just dropped out. I was going to read it again later, to see if I'm just over reacting.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
ZING! omg, when people compare something to WinME, you know it has to be bad !

[RANT]
I know it is still alpha, but if this is CR's hallmark vision of one aspect of SC, you would think they would make it work!

My beef...Mobi-Glass in your cockpit is like pretending bluetooth technology disappeared after the 21st century. Yeah, when you are out of your cockpit and on foot, you have a virtual MFD/heads-up display. But, when you are in your cockpit, you don't need the @#%$ things 'cuz you got *real* MFD's and the 29th century equivalent of Siri and Alexa to do all your commands.

It makes no sense to me to request a landing by holding up my wrist & activating this thing, thereby dropping my hand off the control and not being able to focus on where the ship is going, and thus not even being able to control my ship.

For the love of all that is right, do something about this abomination!
[/RANT]
So Rant on. I totally agree, there is no reason other than CR why such a complex technology has to exist in SC.

Forgot your password?