Internal cumbustion builds..Cars/Bikes/Trucks..Show them old build pics etc...

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
charger2.jpg

Tried to clean up the wifes SRT before her 1st Italian birthday present (I wound up with the charger for a spell). Sounded rather good with the Borla exhaust...She has a heavy foot (Happy wife happy life):love: Nothing speaks to the soul like the sound of a motor on the march:like:
cars.jpg

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Thanks man, shit 12 mths.
I'll probably still hang on to the old rims for "just in case". Attached are the stats for both vehicles, the Mercedes has smaller everything except weight..but you expect that due to the cruise missile that powers it haha.

Actually two other things i'd change is to remove the computer factory setting that limited the throttle capacity (67% I think) and add an LSD.

On the sizes, the C63 was always meant to be a sports sedan as the Germans designed it, the lower end of the supercar spectrum (due to the powerplant). The WRX went the opposite and strayed into family car territory and got larger. I had a Premium which only had the 2.0 lt aimed at younger small families, safe for daily use and fun on weekends, where as the Mercedes was...turn off traction control and you will die.

View attachment 22671
Thats a whole lot of car in a small package. Mercedes certainly knows how to engineer a scary street legal go cart:like:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
@Patrick Spaceman
OH shit, I just saw the engine bay pics, looks factory fresh! You could ask money for that kind of detailing!

@GPcustoms those are some real black beauties! Would love to have a neighbour like you, instead I get to listen to the rattle and whine of a 3cyl struggling under the hood of a 2+ ton suv every morning. Cos Peugeot, we make trash out of any good metal, since 2000 something...

Bit of an update, kinda: so far I've done about 250km in my project car, picking up parts, showing it off to friends and such. I'm yet to do an oil change but, I've already done 1/3 of it! How? Well I had to add 2.5liters of oil in those 250kms to keep the level at the mid point on the dipstick. I've probably started off with at least a litre missing but Yeah, somethings not right.. Its fairly common for the m54b## line of bimmer engines to gobble up oil, but not at this rate lol. Spoke to my mechanic and he said it could get better after a proper oil change, who knows what kind of cheap trash the previous owner poured into it. Also the AF mixture is off, some sensors are measuring wrong or not at all, could also effect oil usage... Also today I've discovered there is no cabin filter installed, and that the two screws I found laying inside the front strut mount in the ngine bay are for the airfilter box, someone forgot to screw em back when they removed the heater valve for some reason.
Anyways, I've got all the things I need for a basic tune up in shipping, so we shall see how it works after that.

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
@Patrick Spaceman
OH shit, I just saw the engine bay pics, looks factory fresh! You could ask money for that kind of detailing!

@GPcustoms those are some real black beauties! Would love to have a neighbour like you, instead I get to listen to the rattle and whine of a 3cyl struggling under the hood of a 2+ ton suv every morning. Cos Peugeot, we make trash out of any good metal, since 2000 something...

Bit of an update, kinda: so far I've done about 250km in my project car, picking up parts, showing it off to friends and such. I'm yet to do an oil change but, I've already done 1/3 of it! How? Well I had to add 2.5liters of oil in those 250kms to keep the level at the mid point on the dipstick. I've probably started off with at least a litre missing but Yeah, somethings not right.. Its fairly common for the m54b## line of bimmer engines to gobble up oil, but not at this rate lol. Spoke to my mechanic and he said it could get better after a proper oil change, who knows what kind of cheap trash the previous owner poured into it. Also the AF mixture is off, some sensors are measuring wrong or not at all, could also effect oil usage... Also today I've discovered there is no cabin filter installed, and that the two screws I found laying inside the front strut mount in the ngine bay are for the airfilter box, someone forgot to screw em back when they removed the heater valve for some reason.
Anyways, I've got all the things I need for a basic tune up in shipping, so we shall see how it works after that.
Thats the true nature of a project :like: No doubt this project will be a journey and adventure worth having my friend. Im guessing that if you had a choice of cologne it would be a combination of oil and gasoline:o7:

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
Thats a whole lot of car in a small package. Mercedes certainly knows how to engineer a scary street legal go cart:like:
I could time travel backwards in it, to a point before I crashed it..

Patrick Spaceman

Grand Admiral
Oct 4, 2020
RSI Handle
Patrick_Spaceman
@Patrick Spaceman

Yeah I was embarrassed to take it to a workshop in it's previous condition...disgusting (Had been sitting around for a few months), but the hard yards are done, now it's minor things to do.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Remember folks, wheels are a consumable! Curbs on track are not your friend lol

View attachment 22689
Crackin perfomance!

I know tires and brakes don't last on a track, but never managed to break a wheel before. Guess I wasn't driving hard enough lol

Btw, goddamn shipping companies, I had an unrelated order coming through the same shipping company (DPD) as my car parts from the same location as well, and they crammed the small box into my big Autodoc box to deliver them both at the same time. Cool right?
NO! Ofc they didn't care that the big box was now compromised, it had holes opened on the sides where the cardboard meets, stuff got moved around inside and crushed other things (had the "small" metal ramps in with the paper filters, you can imagine how one crushed the other). As a result, I'd either need to buy a 5cyl audi , or order 4 more sparkplugs (minimum order amount), as one out of the six escaped. It's probably bouncing around happily in the back of the delivery van still...
I'm really lucky that I have friends in the right places so I can order a single plug at the same price as the ones I ordered in "bulk" from Autodoc from a different shop, otherwise it would cost 3 times as much lol

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Crackin perfomance!

I know tires and brakes don't last on a track, but never managed to break a wheel before. Guess I wasn't driving hard enough lol

Btw, goddamn shipping companies, I had an unrelated order coming through the same shipping company (DPD) as my car parts from the same location as well, and they crammed the small box into my big Autodoc box to deliver them both at the same time. Cool right?
NO! Ofc they didn't care that the big box was now compromised, it had holes opened on the sides where the cardboard meets, stuff got moved around inside and crushed other things (had the "small" metal ramps in with the paper filters, you can imagine how one crushed the other). As a result, I'd either need to buy a 5cyl audi , or order 4 more sparkplugs (minimum order amount), as one out of the six escaped. It's probably bouncing around happily in the back of the delivery van still...
I'm really lucky that I have friends in the right places so I can order a single plug at the same price as the ones I ordered in "bulk" from Autodoc from a different shop, otherwise it would cost 3 times as much lol
Feel your pain...I had a set of Carbon/kevlar body work for one of my TZ250s delivered to the wrong address. :mad:
My Shipping Wench(girlfriend) hunted it down and retrieved it from where it was delivered. Another time I had a crank part delivered to a raceway certified delivery because I had to do a new crank to qualify the next day and it got locked inside of the manager's office....A little safety wire/credit card and creativity and we broke into the office and retrieved the part(long night):like:
Glad you can make lemon aid out of lemons.....Personally I would rather have a Long Island ice tea but hey its just part of the whole project ahead of us,right?
Cheers Bro:o7:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Finally got around to doing an oil change on my shitbox, khm I mean project car. I thought it would be an easy one, looked at some yt videos beforehand to confirm what I already knew about how to do it and off I went!

And then the reality of absolute neglect hit.
Getting out the sump plug was easy enough although it was over torqued , I managed to not drop it into the oil bin lol. Then while putting it back I noticed that the crush washer was missing, which explains why it was over tightened. So I put on a new one as its supposed to be.
Then I went up to replace the filter. Bimmers have a filter cap with a ridiculously large 36mm hex on top that you need to take off and the paper filter itself sits on a pipe shape that protrudes from this cap. Now obviously I forgot to bring my 36mm socket which I don't have, so I tried using a regular chain type filter remover tool. That would have worked great, but the (plastic) intake is so close to the filter housing that the chain just about can't fit. So after spending half an hour I managed to take off the cap without totally ruining it using a tool I will not name here cos I don't want to be hunted down by every mechanic on the planet lol
And yes it was obviously over tight as expected. It should have been torqued to 25Nm max, that's 4yo child levels of torque.
Anyways, I finally had the cap with the filter in my hands... Which according to the 5 yt videos I watched I should Not have! The filter should have stayed back in the casing and not came out with the cap!
So after another 5 minutes cursing and exertion, I resorted to basically cutting off the filter from the tube part, scraping some of the remains off with a screwdriver.
Thankfully the new one went on without drama, added new lubed up o ring, I closed up the thing not overtightening it, opened the oil cap, spilled some cheap Castrol out for the petrol gods and filled it up.
Guess why the plastic cover is so nice and shiny lol...
IMG_20220418_164858.jpg

I wanted to change the fuel filter and plugs as well, but ran out of time, so I just removed some covers to examine what I will be dealing with next, and while doing so I found a couple more things in my engine bay than I expected to:
IMG_20220418_172146.jpg

That's a coil pack and I'm guessing an idle stepper? sitting wedged below the brake cyl. I keep finding shit like this all over the car. Considering in how bad of shape the whole things in its surprising that someone actually bothered to change things... They just didn't bother enough to put the junk in the bin after.

OH, and remember that sacrifice to the petrol gods?
Probably that's why after driving for an hour my power steering went dead periodically at low rpm. I'm guessing slippage, will check later.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Funny how stupid I can be...
I didn't have a 36mil socket for the filter as mentioned above, which led to issues.
But I have just realized I have these two things, called the Internet and a 3D Printer.
If all goes well, in 2 hours or so I'll have a brand new 36mm socket printed in nylon-like tough resin! I'll post an update once I tested it out.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Good luck with the 3d printing I dont think it'll be strong enough but happy to be proven wrong.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Funny how stupid I can be...
I didn't have a 36mil socket for the filter as mentioned above, which led to issues.
But I have just realized I have these two things, called the Internet and a 3D Printer.
If all goes well, in 2 hours or so I'll have a brand new 36mm socket printed in nylon-like tough resin! I'll post an update once I tested it out.
Last time I printed in nylon (4 years ago) it was resilient, but not even close to 3d printed steel or even copper. Mind you I was printing pipe caps and joints I couldn't find at the hardware store, so the parts didn't need to stand up to twisting with a lot of force. I have printed in metal (friend had the printer), and those parts were at least as good as Chinese tools, ,so not terrible but the result is more like white metal than steel. Bonus there is you can use the metal again when the part brakes.

One thing you can do though, if you can melt steel, is what my buddy called Lost PLA. I've done this a couple times. That's when you are going to use the print to make a model for pouring. Only problem is melting the steel, that can be fun - put the hot metal gets rid of the PLA without issue (use outside... it stinks, and it's HOT) You also have to finish the part. That can take a bit of getting used to.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Good luck with the 3d printing I dont think it'll be strong enough but happy to be proven wrong.
Well, this is some mighty expensive supposedly tough and slightly flexible resin. So far I've used it to make keyfobs to promo my friend's garage. It's holding up to all sorts of abuse that such an item would get.

IMG_20220410_213135.jpg

Last time I printed in nylon (4 years ago) it was resilient, but not even close to 3d printed steel or even copper. Mind you I was printing pipe caps and joints I couldn't find at the hardware store, so the parts didn't need to stand up to twisting with a lot of force. I have printed in metal (friend had the printer), and those parts were at least as good as Chinese tools, ,so not terrible but the result is more like white metal than steel. Bonus there is you can use the metal again when the part brakes.

One thing you can do though, if you can melt steel, is what my buddy called Lost PLA. I've done this a couple times. That's when you are going to use the print to make a model for pouring. Only problem is melting the steel, that can be fun - put the hot metal gets rid of the PLA without issue (use outside... it stinks, and it's HOT) You also have to finish the part. That can take a bit of getting used to.
The print is done but it's too late at night and I'm on feeding duty so no chance of trying it until tomorrow.
This is a resin print, generic resin is absolutely not suited to any mechanical abuse, but the resin I'm using is supposedly capable of handling some force. We shall see. It might be good enough for the one quick tightening I need it for and then shatter as these usually do.
Well, at least it looks the part after some fun with paints lol
Raw is white

IMG_20220420_230409.jpgIMG_20220420_230402.jpgIMG_20220420_220840.jpgIMG_20220420_220832.jpg

My father has a regular printer, we did some wheel center inserts for AC Schnitzer wheels in PETG, as far as I know they are holding up just fine. Lost pla is awesome but we don't have the means to cast anything.yet. I might try to convince him to try it.
I have a couple of professionally SLS printed stainless things, like a ring that has a built in bottle opener and some SC ships, among them a Hornet I've been using on my Keychain for the past 7 years. I've used the hooked end of the wing as a bottle opener countless times. You could kill someone with that thing, it's tuffff. It's properly made, copper infused Stainless. Maybe if you made a hammer or similar oit of that it wouldn't really last, never tried that.

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Hope and wish you the best of luck. Not much torque on those plastic covers(at least on mine) @ Viton O-ring...Looking forwards to hearing how it performed....There is always e-bay or harbor/china for a cheap socket made of bullshitium if all else fails :o7:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
The printed socket worked! The converter from half inch socket to the smaller one I have did explode on the first twist, but I borrowed a friend's proper half inch and the printed socket itself held up! I could open and tighten the oil can, so it's all good!
Bad news is, powersteering is still acting up.
Good news is I changed the plugs, doing the sixth one under the windshield was easier than it looked. Old ones were black and white, it must've been running with bad ratio like this for quiet a while now...
Added the missing heater valve so it can blow cold air now as well as hot.
I did some cheap 6D carbon wrap on the inside, changed the shift knob so it doesn't flop around anymore, changed the boots on that and the handbrake as well. Its starting to look acceptable now.
Figured out which parking sensors are dead, wiring tested good, so I ordered the sensors.
Only the big stuff remains. New exhaust, new bushings for the diff, fixing the handbrake. Optically it still needs the bonnet fixed, paint corrected (DIY), new front bumper.
OH, and figuring out what the heck is wrong with the power steering.

3.17 dropped and I also gotta work so progress will be slowed from here on out for a while.
IMG_20220429_145635.jpg

Ps. : I keep finding stuff every time I dig around in the car. This time it's a really nice looking black size 11 wrench that was hiding stuck beside the seat rail. Same black as the rail, so I only spotted it by accident lol
IMG_20220429_200724.jpg

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
The printed socket worked! The converter from half inch socket to the smaller one I have did explode on the first twist, but I borrowed a friend's proper half inch and the printed socket itself held up! I could open and tighten the oil can, so it's all good!
Bad news is, powersteering is still acting up.
Good news is I changed the plugs, doing the sixth one under the windshield was easier than it looked. Old ones were black and white, it must've been running with bad ratio like this for quiet a while now...
Added the missing heater valve so it can blow cold air now as well as hot.
I did some cheap 6D carbon wrap on the inside, changed the shift knob so it doesn't flop around anymore, changed the boots on that and the handbrake as well. Its starting to look acceptable now.
Figured out which parking sensors are dead, wiring tested good, so I ordered the sensors.
Only the big stuff remains. New exhaust, new bushings for the diff, fixing the handbrake. Optically it still needs the bonnet fixed, paint corrected (DIY), new front bumper.
OH, and figuring out what the heck is wrong with the power steering.

3.17 dropped and I also gotta work so progress will be slowed from here on out for a while.
View attachment 22780

Ps. : I keep finding stuff every time I dig around in the car. This time it's a really nice looking black size 11 wrench that was hiding stuck beside the seat rail. Same black as the rail, so I only spotted it by accident lol
View attachment 22781
Looks like a labor of love...My son has a GT3000 that I put plugs in(OMG!!!). Lost a lot of skin on that engine up against the fire wall :o7: Keep digging in the interior and who knows...You might find more hidden treasures:glorious:

Forgot your password?