Internal cumbustion builds..Cars/Bikes/Trucks..Show them old build pics etc...

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Thats a tough one...Upolstry shops are spendy..See if you can find a good video of trim removal and you should be in like Fin...Having the same issue with some of the cars I am looking at with delamination issues where the leather is lifting from panels.... :drunk:
Should make for an interesting view if you share with the gang...Misery loves company:o7:
Well, as much as I would have liked to DIY this, I probably won't.
I did some searching and couldn't really find suitable cloth for the pillars (thin stretchy UV resistant and such), and the little I found was kinda expensive cos I would've had to order way more than needed. I found leather supplies way easier, but OMFG it gets really expensive the moment it's "car leather" and not just "regular leather"... Also leather would look silly on an A pillar when the closest leather looking thing is the shift boot, I just don't want it.
Getting material for the headliner is the much easier part, but after watching a few videos on how much it sux to remove the old backing foam and then the struggle with getting the new one into the curves... yeah it takes patience and practice. Time is something I don't really have as much as I'd like for things like this, and also I don't really have the space.

I estimated a cost of around 80-100bucks in material+glue and it would probably be another 20-30 bucks for shipping because I would've had to order from like 3 different shops.

Instead I found a breaker who is willing to sell me a full set of great condition black headliner with all it's bits and bobs and more importantly with full pillar trim. He also has some other parts that I need specifically from a RHD car like front leaf guard (the long plastic bit in front of the windshield) and such, all for a little over a 100 bucks, shipped to my door. It's really a no brainer at this point.
If it turns out he won't sell me the things for some reason, I will be back to the full DIY route.

@Shadow Reaper
Behold that cat vomit looking thing below, the mighty dangerous flammables in my exhaust, after about a 150kms of driving. It's a bit banged up from tearing it on removal, and it's black from exhaust soot cos horrible straight pipe and the mixture is off, but otherwise it's there, every last strand of it.

IMG_eee.jpg

And yes, the car is now much louder and actually it feels slower, I think the restriction was helping, but I didn't want this thing getting randomly shot at a pedestrian or someone driving behind me. As I said it was temporary, I'll have the proper exhaust with cats installed next week.

Also, a small miracle happened today. I accidentally drove by a cop at full throttle (I wasn't going fast, just extremely loud), he had his windows down, but he didn't pull me over!

Also also, I got some fresh rubber installed today, mid tier hankook ventus evo3s. It will be better than the 10+yo dunlops at least.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Em, yeah, you totally get the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car, right (correct)?

I once drove a "continental" drive minibus (van) across France, Belgium, England ,Wales and Ireland for three months, including driving through Bromley (extension of London) at 5PM on a Friday, and a traffic circle.

WTF? What is with these "wrong side of the street" drivers and countries? Work your shit out.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Em, yeah, you totally get the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car, right (correct)?

I once drove a "continental" drive minibus (van) across France, Belgium, England ,Wales and Ireland for three months, including driving through Bromley (extension of London) at 5PM on a Friday, and a traffic circle.

WTF? What is with these "wrong side of the street" drivers and countries? Work your shit out.
Rhd (wrong side) cars are much cheaper here for obvious reasons, but it doesn't bother me at all. The thing is the cars wheels are pointing straight while the steering wheel is pointing left. Not ideal.

Holy cowboy, I wouldn't dare drive in a Rhd country with any kinda car, it's way too much to think about lol

Looks like your going to spend a few hours squeezing hands and tools into spaces to put that back in order....Wish I could bring you over a few cold ones Bro.....I think your going to earn them :like:
Thanks! If all goes well I'll have the steering wheel removed, some fresh new leather put on it, and then reinstalled correctly. It's not keyed to the column so should be easy with the right tools (which I don't posses cos who needs a 9 feet long torque wrench everyday lol)

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So you think you found interesting things under your seats?
I raise you, a brown pointy thing!
This might be common in the US, but here it's really effing weird, almost scary.

IMG_20221104_144025.jpg

7.62x39? (guessing by the looks and cos that's common around here, haven't measured yet)

Found it while I swapped part of the interior. All seats and door cards, from old very smelly dirty grey, to old dirty black.
IMG_20221104_152927.jpg

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
So you think you found interesting things under your seats?
I raise you, a brown pointy thing!
This might be common in the US, but here it's really effing weird, almost scary.

View attachment 23598

7.62x39? (guessing by the looks and cos that's common around here, haven't measured yet)

Found it while I swapped part of the interior. All seats and door cards, from old very smelly dirty grey, to old dirty black.
View attachment 23599
LOL...Just an old fashioned boat tail projectile of unknown caliber...Tumble the thing so its shinny, drill a hole in the base and add it to your dog tags(if its not a steel jacket, looks like steel). I make pens for X-Mass every year out of spent .338LM cases using a machined 225gr projectile drilled out for a pen cartridge...I would offer you one but both sides of the pond frown on what looks like a live cartridge :drunk: Just keep looking around in that car project..Might find some extra cash:o7:
338 pens.jpg

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
LOL...Just an old fashioned boat tail projectile of unknown caliber...Tumble the thing so its shinny, drill a hole in the base and add it to your dog tags(if its not a steel jacket, looks like steel). I make pens for X-Mass every year out of spent .338LM cases using a machined 225gr projectile drilled out for a pen cartridge...I would offer you one but both sides of the pond frown on what looks like a live cartridge :drunk: Just keep looking around in that car project..Might find some extra cash:o7:
View attachment 23600
Ah those look really nicely made You are right though, it would be a tough sell at the customs lol

I measured it and it's 34mm long, I presumed presumed a 7.62 (cos we have old soviet stuff here) but depending on the thickness of the grot it was anywhere between 8 and 8.5 mil.

I also found another 3 USD worth of change there (would have been 5USD worth just a few months ago) so there's still value to be found in this old junker lol

After spending a fortune on a decent MAF, we could finally diag the engine troubles and it looks like the thingamajig that's supposed to govern how much oil vape is sent back and where in the engine is broken, so it sucks in extra air. I dunno the proper English name of that thingy. Anyways, it's gonna cost a lot more than I care for. Also the water pump is on it's way out but that's normal at such milage on these engines. Also also I really need to change my power steering pump cos it's getting more and more dangerously sticky...

Have I shown you guys how I will ruin this already janky vehicle even more?
I went on the Internet, and I found this!

MyE46C_decaled.jpg

Well, actually I just went on Aliexpress, cos it's the cheapest place around.
I made a render of the ones I found fun and cheap enough to see how it would look.
The real decals are already waiting in the trunk to be installed! I will be adding more as I find them, probably some number for the door and some more "sponsors"

edit.: just checked with a magnet and it's not reacting so it's probably copper? Will find out after a clean, I guess.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
edit.: just checked with a magnet and it's not reacting so it's probably copper? Will find out after a clean, I guess.
That's pretty badly corroded brass. Copper would corrode green, bronze corrodes a more dirty green. Steal would look way more reddish from the iron. The dimensions are correct for either a 308 or 7.62. Very common for hunting deer, moose or elk where I come from.

Also, don't accidentally shoot a red oak with one. They can shoot back. I was actually shooting at a squirrel that was being a pest at a friend's shooting range. I missed. The tree did not.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
That's pretty badly corroded brass. Copper would corrode green, bronze corrodes a more dirty green. Steal would look way more reddish from the iron. The dimensions are correct for either a 308 or 7.62. Very common for hunting deer, moose or elk where I come from.

Also, don't accidentally shoot a red oak with one. They can shoot back. I was actually shooting at a squirrel that was being a pest at a friend's shooting range. I missed. The tree did not.
Ah yes brass! That makes way more sense considering the coloration. Feels solid. I never had just the projectile in my hand so I was surprised how heavy it is.

That tree sounds like a real asshole, glad you're still with us!

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Good news in the zoom zoom world, got a new turbo and fuel system put on my Type-R and got it tuned and it now makes rouughly 500hp of E54. Still waiting on good weather to throw laps down with it after break in.

Bad news in zoom zoom world, the great Ken Block passed away due to a snow mobile accident, so in memory, the video that started me actually trying to drive almost 10 years ago
View: https://youtu.be/HQ7R_buZPSo

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Good news in the zoom zoom world, got a new turbo and fuel system put on my Type-R and got it tuned and it now makes rouughly 500hp of E54. Still waiting on good weather to throw laps down with it after break in.

Bad news in zoom zoom world, the great Ken Block passed away due to a snow mobile accident, so in memory, the video that started me actually trying to drive almost 10 years ago
View: https://youtu.be/HQ7R_buZPSo
WHAT??

Fuuuuuuck man. That came outta nowhere. Shit.

Fuck. I just seen his vid building the Audi for his daughter :(

Rest In Peace Mr.Block, may you enjoy eternal tire smoke.

Gratz on the new installs, 500Hp out of a Type R sounds like way too much fun for just the front wheels! Tell us how it went on the track!

Reactions: GPcustoms

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So I had a fun moment last week while testing all the new goodies! Car really feels amazing with 400hp and the delivery from the turbo made my suit feel tighter for some reason.....

View: https://youtu.be/RRBguIHVO6Q
Whooooa! That flew by faast! It's just insane how they just don't brake for corners. It's... unnatural lol
Awesome moment!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Fun time weekend! COTA again, this time with moar powaaaaaa!!!View attachment 24202
Is that a pink NSX? I don't mind the color, just can't see what's exactly hiding in the darkness! Pretty cool pic!

Well, while Mr.Stockish had fun blasting around the track, on the same Friday, my freshly serviced project Bimmer was blasting smoke.

Or as we like to joke around with it, it decided to elect a new pope, just as I was inching forward in the afternoon rush hour traffic. I watched the temp gauge climb from middle to bang in less than 30 seconds, there was the pop and then the huge amounts of white "smoke" billowed out from under the hood as the bottom coolant pipe connected to the expansion tank let go at the fitting. Instead of the overpressure valve in the exp tank's cap. Known issue with the old stock caps... I had half a bottle of coolant in the trunk, poured it in and found the source of the leak, and after 2 minutes of removing the airbox, I could get to the fitting and it was all connected up again. I got real lucky that it was just at the fitting and didn't fracture any of the pipes (probably). My bimmer maniac friend came along to help out, brought enough water to make it operational again, and we made it home.

Saturday night in the dark and freezing my toes off, I spent 2 hours on filling it back up with antifreeze and went for a drive to make sure there were no large bubbles left, and to try and figure out the reason for it overheating.
Cabin heat started to work after just a few corners, and all coolant pipes were scorching hot as they should be, so new pump and thermostat are fine probably. My current guess is the fan. I don't know why it decided to shit itself just now, if it is indeed dead, they usually last pretty well in this model.
I let the car sit at idle after the drive, and while checking the pipe temps, I noticed that it wasn't running. It seemd like it wanted to run. It just didn't. It did small wiggles back and forth, only starting for a split second, never rotating more than 1-2 blade widths, what the magnets allowed for.
Also in the light of my flashlight I saw some smoke coming from between the fan blades for like 30 seconds then it stopped, then after a while it smoked again for a bit and then stopped again. First I thought it was the blown out coolant residue smoking off, but in the cold I couldn't make out any smell. Also if it was indeed coolant, the cabin air was still pretty pungent with it so I gotten used to it by that point and couldn't smell it anyways. (btw, my previous car had a tiny coolant leak in the heater block for like 5 years, so I pretty much gotten so used to it I wouldn't notice the smell unless someone poured out a full bottle right into my lap)
Sooo yeah, I don't know yet, but if I had to bet, I'd say the fan fried itself. It would explain overheating while standing in traffic, but not overheating while on the move just an hour before.
As I lack a proper diagnostic tool which could start the fan, and my aircon isn't connected up which would start it up when turned on, there is no easy way to check by myself if it is indeed dead. I guess I could unplug it and try to apply 12volts directly?. I'll have to wait for my friend to bring diag tools or take it to the shop again, which I will have to do anyways as it needs a new clutch now that it regained it's stock power (had a new AC+filter installed along with a CCV system that mostly solved the huge amounts of false air issues and running lean, still waiting on a time slot when I can get the intake seals changed cos it's leaking a bit there too).

Long story short, I had my first proper breakdown with this car (and probably third breakdown in 20 years of driving).

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Is that a pink NSX? I don't mind the color, just can't see what's exactly hiding in the darkness! Pretty cool pic!

Well, while Mr.Stockish had fun blasting around the track, on the same Friday, my freshly serviced project Bimmer was blasting smoke.

Or as we like to joke around with it, it decided to elect a new pope, just as I was inching forward in the afternoon rush hour traffic. I watched the temp gauge climb from middle to bang in less than 30 seconds, there was the pop and then the huge amounts of white "smoke" billowed out from under the hood as the bottom coolant pipe connected to the expansion tank let go at the fitting. Instead of the overpressure valve in the exp tank's cap. Known issue with the old stock caps... I had half a bottle of coolant in the trunk, poured it in and found the source of the leak, and after 2 minutes of removing the airbox, I could get to the fitting and it was all connected up again. I got real lucky that it was just at the fitting and didn't fracture any of the pipes (probably). My bimmer maniac friend came along to help out, brought enough water to make it operational again, and we made it home.

Saturday night in the dark and freezing my toes off, I spent 2 hours on filling it back up with antifreeze and went for a drive to make sure there were no large bubbles left, and to try and figure out the reason for it overheating.
Cabin heat started to work after just a few corners, and all coolant pipes were scorching hot as they should be, so new pump and thermostat are fine probably. My current guess is the fan. I don't know why it decided to shit itself just now, if it is indeed dead, they usually last pretty well in this model.
I let the car sit at idle after the drive, and while checking the pipe temps, I noticed that it wasn't running. It seemd like it wanted to run. It just didn't. It did small wiggles back and forth, only starting for a split second, never rotating more than 1-2 blade widths, what the magnets allowed for.
Also in the light of my flashlight I saw some smoke coming from between the fan blades for like 30 seconds then it stopped, then after a while it smoked again for a bit and then stopped again. First I thought it was the blown out coolant residue smoking off, but in the cold I couldn't make out any smell. Also if it was indeed coolant, the cabin air was still pretty pungent with it so I gotten used to it by that point and couldn't smell it anyways. (btw, my previous car had a tiny coolant leak in the heater block for like 5 years, so I pretty much gotten so used to it I wouldn't notice the smell unless someone poured out a full bottle right into my lap)
Sooo yeah, I don't know yet, but if I had to bet, I'd say the fan fried itself. It would explain overheating while standing in traffic, but not overheating while on the move just an hour before.
As I lack a proper diagnostic tool which could start the fan, and my aircon isn't connected up which would start it up when turned on, there is no easy way to check by myself if it is indeed dead. I guess I could unplug it and try to apply 12volts directly?. I'll have to wait for my friend to bring diag tools or take it to the shop again, which I will have to do anyways as it needs a new clutch now that it regained it's stock power (had a new AC+filter installed along with a CCV system that mostly solved the huge amounts of false air issues and running lean, still waiting on a time slot when I can get the intake seals changed cos it's leaking a bit there too).

Long story short, I had my first proper breakdown with this car (and probably third breakdown in 20 years of driving).
Well its always a good thing to find the issues before they become disasters and NSX came to mind when looking over STOCKISH's pics. Must have been a great track day by all accounts. :like:
There is an old saying. Its not a matter of if something mechanical breaks but when.
I raise my glass to your continued success and look forward to those BMW updates. :o7:

• o7
Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?