Internal cumbustion builds..Cars/Bikes/Trucks..Show them old build pics etc...

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Is that a pink NSX? I don't mind the color, just can't see what's exactly hiding in the darkness! Pretty cool pic!

Well, while Mr.Stockish had fun blasting around the track, on the same Friday, my freshly serviced project Bimmer was blasting smoke.

Or as we like to joke around with it, it decided to elect a new pope, just as I was inching forward in the afternoon rush hour traffic. I watched the temp gauge climb from middle to bang in less than 30 seconds, there was the pop and then the huge amounts of white "smoke" billowed out from under the hood as the bottom coolant pipe connected to the expansion tank let go at the fitting. Instead of the overpressure valve in the exp tank's cap. Known issue with the old stock caps... I had half a bottle of coolant in the trunk, poured it in and found the source of the leak, and after 2 minutes of removing the airbox, I could get to the fitting and it was all connected up again. I got real lucky that it was just at the fitting and didn't fracture any of the pipes (probably). My bimmer maniac friend came along to help out, brought enough water to make it operational again, and we made it home.

Saturday night in the dark and freezing my toes off, I spent 2 hours on filling it back up with antifreeze and went for a drive to make sure there were no large bubbles left, and to try and figure out the reason for it overheating.
Cabin heat started to work after just a few corners, and all coolant pipes were scorching hot as they should be, so new pump and thermostat are fine probably. My current guess is the fan. I don't know why it decided to shit itself just now, if it is indeed dead, they usually last pretty well in this model.
I let the car sit at idle after the drive, and while checking the pipe temps, I noticed that it wasn't running. It seemd like it wanted to run. It just didn't. It did small wiggles back and forth, only starting for a split second, never rotating more than 1-2 blade widths, what the magnets allowed for.
Also in the light of my flashlight I saw some smoke coming from between the fan blades for like 30 seconds then it stopped, then after a while it smoked again for a bit and then stopped again. First I thought it was the blown out coolant residue smoking off, but in the cold I couldn't make out any smell. Also if it was indeed coolant, the cabin air was still pretty pungent with it so I gotten used to it by that point and couldn't smell it anyways. (btw, my previous car had a tiny coolant leak in the heater block for like 5 years, so I pretty much gotten so used to it I wouldn't notice the smell unless someone poured out a full bottle right into my lap)
Sooo yeah, I don't know yet, but if I had to bet, I'd say the fan fried itself. It would explain overheating while standing in traffic, but not overheating while on the move just an hour before.
As I lack a proper diagnostic tool which could start the fan, and my aircon isn't connected up which would start it up when turned on, there is no easy way to check by myself if it is indeed dead. I guess I could unplug it and try to apply 12volts directly?. I'll have to wait for my friend to bring diag tools or take it to the shop again, which I will have to do anyways as it needs a new clutch now that it regained it's stock power (had a new AC+filter installed along with a CCV system that mostly solved the huge amounts of false air issues and running lean, still waiting on a time slot when I can get the intake seals changed cos it's leaking a bit there too).

Long story short, I had my first proper breakdown with this car (and probably third breakdown in 20 years of driving).

Yep, that is a NSX with the motor from a Type-R swapped into it.

• Glorious
Reactions: Lorddarthvik

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Had too much time on my hands so I replaced the stock BMW wheel in the supra and assembled some .338lm pens for my friend in Ohio.
Carbon Steering wheel.jpg

new pens.jpg

• Glorious

Doc Flanigan

Admiral
Donor
Mar 27, 2021
RSI Handle
Doc_Flanigan
Since I was 16 I've owned more than 100 vehicles, many times more than 5-6 at a time. When I was younger I really enjoyed modifying lowered and lifted trucks. Here are a few of my early builds from decades ago. Most of the fab work was performed by me as I learned how to weld and shape metal.

My all time favorite build was my 1997 Chevy Silverado because I learned so many new skills by doing it. I bought it stock with 75k miles and built over 4-5 years (2002-2007). After many years of using it as a daily driver, taking it all over the country to truck shows and a magazine feature, I sold it/traded it to a fellow club member in TX. It went through many stages, but in it's final stage it had a 2-linked rear, air bagged suspension on 20x9.5 /20x8 Billet Specialty Psychos. Powder coated frame, tweed wrapped interior, Katzkinz leather tahoe buckets seats with custom painted console, 2500 watt sound system with four 12" woofers under the rear seat. Nothing shaved, stock buffed paint. Just clean, reliable and hammered.

DSC02339.jpg

DSC02338.jpg

1915831_104337496275648_4772376_n.jpg

I traded the 1997 Silverado for some cash and a 1999 Chevrolet 3500 dually that had been modified, but needed work to finish. It was already lowered 5/7 and the interior had been spruced up, but it needed a paintjob and a little body work. I added the Cadillac Escalade front sheet metal, Cadillac deville tail lights, frenched the antenna into the rear fender and painted it flat black, with a patina'd center section. I had a local painter add the pinstripes and door logos. It featured a well endowed pin-up girl with a nice camel toe, bending over the words "Tiny's Toe Service" since it was tow truck, and my nickname is "Tiny". I'm 6'7" tall and about 350lbs. I used this truck to tow my lifted Fords to shows out of state. I would keep this truck for a year or two as I burned out of the 'every-weekend show truck circuit' and phased into the getting old, staying at home phase of my life, lol.

1915831_104337669608964_3426364_n.jpg

1915831_104337499608981_5278623_n.jpg

The Ford pictured above was a 1997 Ford F150 Lariat with a straight axle conversion using a custom fabbed shackle reversal, and 10" SkyJacker F250 springs. The previous owner started the conversion by removing the OEM parts, and then lost interest. I bought it pretty cheap and finished it. Pictured here, it's on 46" Mickey Thompson Claws. Eventually I would put it on 49" tall Super Swamper IROKs, then 53" Michelin XZL's before I sold it. It was fun and drew a ton of attention, but was way too big serve any real purpose on 1/2 ton running gear, and was impossible to go anywhere without drawing a crowd.

I sold the 1997 Ford F150 pictured above and bought a 1996 Ford F350 farm truck pictured below. It was on 1 ton running gear from the factory and wasn't long before it was bigger than the F150. It started out as a white truck, and this was my first DIY two stage paint job. We'll just say I've learned alot since then, lol. It was massive, but it had a 460cu in big block and a 6 speed transmission. With a big custom built drop hitch I still used it like a truck. It wasn't my daily driver, but it did see alot of use hauling my tractor and excavator... even on the big tires.

This is the truck I owned when I met my wife. We had our first dates in this truck. I sold it in order to buy an egagement ring. Still the best decision I've ever made. Pictured here it was on 49" IROKS (from the previous F150), but eventually I put 53" Michelin XZL's on it as well. I'm 6'7" tall and the door handle was well over my head.

1915831_104336379609093_549632_n.jpg

1915831_104337662942298_2935602_n.jpg

I've built several more vehicles since then, and restored a few as well. I''ll add those pics and details as I come across the pics and have time.

Last edited:

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Since I was 16 I've owned more than 100 vehicles, many times more than 5-6 at a time. When I was younger I really enjoyed modifying lowered and lifted trucks. Here are a few of my early builds from decades ago. Most of the fab work was performed by me as I learned how to weld and shape metal.

My all time favorite build was my 1997 Chevy Silverado because I learned so many new skills by doing it. I bought it stock with 75k miles and built over 4-5 years (2002-2007). After many years of using it as a daily driver, taking it all over the country to truck shows and a magazine feature, I sold it/traded it to a fellow club member in TX. It went through many stages, but in it's final stage it had a 2-linked rear, air bagged suspension on 20x9.5 /20x8 Billet Specialty Psychos. Powder coated frame, tweed wrapped interior, Katzkinz leather tahoe buckets seats with custom painted console, 2500 watt sound system with four 12" woofers under the rear seat. Nothing shaved, stock buffed paint. Just clean, reliable and hammered.

View attachment 24256

View attachment 24255

View attachment 24250

I traded the 1997 Silverado for some cash and a 1999 Chevrolet 3500 dually that had been modified, but needed work to finish. It was already lowered 5/7 and the interior had been spruced up, but it needed a paintjob and a little body work. I added the Cadillac Escalade front sheet metal, Cadillac deville tail lights, frenched the antenna into the rear fender and painted it flat black, with a patina'd center section. I had a local painter add the pinstripes and door logos. It featured a well endowed pin-up girl with a nice camel toe, bending over the words "Tiny's Toe Service" since it was tow truck, and my nickname is "Tiny". I'm 6'7" tall and about 350lbs. I used this truck to tow my lifted Fords to shows out of state. I would keep this truck for a year or two as I burned out of the 'every-weekend show truck circuit' and phased into the getting old, staying at home phase of my life, lol.

View attachment 24254

View attachment 24251

The Ford pictured above was a 1997 Ford F150 Lariat with a straight axle conversion using a custom fabbed shackle reversal, and 10" SkyJacker F250 springs. The previous owner started the conversion by removing the OEM parts, and then lost interest. I bought it pretty cheap and finished it. Pictured here, it's on 46" Mickey Thompson Claws. Eventually I would put it on 49" tall Super Swamper IROKs, then 53" Michelin XZL's before I sold it. It was fun and drew a ton of attention, but was way too big serve any real purpose on 1/2 ton running gear, and was impossible to go anywhere without drawing a crowd.

I sold the 1997 Ford F150 pictured above and bought a 1996 Ford F350 farm truck pictured below. It was on 1 ton running gear from the factory and wasn't long before it was bigger than the F150. It started out as a white truck, and this was my first DIY two stage paint job. We'll just say I've learned alot since then, lol. It was massive, but it had a 460cu in big block and a 6 speed transmission. With a big custom built drop hitch I still used it like a truck. It wasn't my daily driver, but it did see alot of use hauling my tractor and excavator... even on the big tires.

This is the truck I owned when I met my wife. We had our first dates in this truck. I sold it in order to buy an egagement ring. Still the best decision I've ever made. Pictured here it was on 49" IROKS (from the previous F150), but eventually I put 53" Michelin XZL's on it as well. I'm 6'7" tall and the door handle was well over my head.

View attachment 24252
View attachment 24253

I've built several more vehicles since then, and restored a few as well. I''ll add those pics and details as I come across the pics and have time.
What a great collection of well sorted projects...Not much beats working on a project...I think most guys prefer to smell like oil and gasoline....Reminds me of my youth in New Mexico. Thanks for the drive down memory lane!!!!!

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Wife is in Texas so I had some time to check the fitment of a dry carbon spoiler.
Tomorrow I will set it in place and install a master cylinder brace that's collecting dust in the garage.
spoiler.jpg

spoiler2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Glorious

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Well after 22 years of petrolhead / deasilhead / inline 4 / inline 6 / v6 / v8 non turbo / turbo i've ended up with what appears to be a 2 ton 8 year old out of warranty glorified ipad!!

1686066155730.png

And I can't say I am disappointed!!! :D

I am calling this one the 600i methinks!

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
@Doc Flanigan Can'"t really comment on those mate. Don't really have the words for how sick and awesome those are! lol

@GPcustoms TBH I never really "got" the looks of the OG or this new Supra, it's just not my thing, but that red+black/CF combo is sexy!

@stockish That looks cute! Also looks like way too fast for it's size lol Must be a lotta fun, congrats on the acquisition!

@PlayWithMeOrDie I'm a sucker for the new 7. It's such a Cyberpunk concrete bunker on wheels! Haven't felt this kinda "going balls out" vibe from the series since the E65 (Bangle 7). Haven't seen one in the streets with the split headlights yet, but I bet I'm gonna be afraid that it's gonna run me over even from behind the safety of my apartments window lol
I love it, BMW finally coming to terms with itself by building the most oppressive looking barge they could!

@BUTUZ Understandable.
Moving on...
:D

Meanwhile on my BMW project(s):

My main family car, the X3 is dead. Well, not dead dead, just financially not viable to repair really. It still goes okay-ish, but not perfect. The transmission needs a rebuild, which will at best cost half as much as the car is worth when in perfect condition. Getting a rebuilt tranny costs the same as getting it rebuilt, around the equivalent of 3500-4000usd. You can get fully working, albeit not the later facelift models for that money.
We are going to try an oil flush and change with the kit ZF sells for this model, even though they claim it never needs an oil change lol. That will either fix it up for a couple thousand more Kms until I can sell it for a slightly lowered price, or it will totally ruin it so I will have to swing for the rebuild. In that case, I might just sell it as is and get a cheap older X5 as we need something with a bigger trunk anyways, and the wife wants it to be an SUV, so there's ain't more options there. Thing is I don't want to sell it, it's been a really fun little barge, and the wife really loves it too. We shall see how it goes...

On the E46 coupe side:
Turns out my headlight+sblinkers are not just slightly visually different (and old and rubbish), they are of a different design by so much that OEM replacement parts wouldn't fit them. One uses screws the other side uses clips and such nonsense. So instead of trying to find the correct parts like replacemnt blinkers that fit them (one has a really high fill rate of blinker fluid), I ended up buying originals off of an M3 with all the crap that goes with em (like the washer thats mandatory for Xenons) for less then 300 bucks for the set. Still cheaper then most aftermarket sets. I might have to refresh or replace the glass on em but that ain't that expensive. Also bought a cheap pair of new side markers, turns out those are supposed to be white glass with yellow bulb, not yellow(ed) glass with yellow bulb lol. To round off the lights parade, I also got a full set of M3 style LED rear lights, with compliance markings wich is rare and more expensive, so the cops won't take the car away. Yes my country is that stupid. Even if I have TUV or other EU certificates which would be compliant in literally any other EU country, our cops still won't accept it unless it has a certain E marking in the glass itself. Which means any Chinese made fake crap that goes to the effort of putting in the marking will pass, but good stuff made specifically for that car inside the EU that's for some reason didn't get that marking, won't pass and the car can be confiscated as illegally modified and dangerous...

As for this weeks project, I finally got around to painting my CSL style trunk extension/duck-tail. And I effed it. Did a very good job of sanding, patiently spent days filling, spraying primer, sanding it some more, and than the paint was going on so well until... it splattered all over it. Goddam can is spitting because the spray head is such low quality. I had to sand back most of it, then tried with another spray head from a different bottle. Works better, haven't seen any spitting from it, but I'm yet to finish repairing the damage that the first spitty pass has done, so it will be a while yet.

On the list of things to do yet:
Inside is a mess still, can't find a set of good condition roof lining + pillar covers, especially not in black.
Already have an appointment to finish up most major repairs, like changing clutch and intake gaskets, alignment and might even have a chance at doing the aircon but that's something I'll probably have to live without. Then it's time for a diy spray job on the flaky sides, that's gonna be interesting hehehe. Still looking for a replacement hood in the right color though, I don't want to wait and pay for a respray.

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Forgot about the thread until checking in. So many cool additions I enjoyed drooling over :like:
Did install a new front spoiler as part of the on going tinkering yesterday and my AWE exhaust arrived today with the all important Watermelon Blow pop in the fastener box :o7:

Attachments

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Finally ended our racing season (its kind of hard at 100*F) so got parts ordered to put on the Type-R and prep for next year and attempt a full season. On the list of tracks is Road Atlanta, Circuit of The Americas (gotta podium for once right) and possibly Laguna Seca as a bucket list item. Also looking to go to a few other races within the Gridlife groups and expand out a bit.

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Finally ended our racing season (its kind of hard at 100*F) so got parts ordered to put on the Type-R and prep for next year and attempt a full season. On the list of tracks is Road Atlanta, Circuit of The Americas (gotta podium for once right) and possibly Laguna Seca as a bucket list item. Also looking to go to a few other races within the Gridlife groups and expand out a bit.
LOL...Hot?...I'm from the 2 wheel side of the spectrum...LOL! Nothing like sitting on a starting grid in the middle of August at R/A wearing a dead cow and protective gear waiting for the sign to be turned on its side.
Best 30 years of my life and best way to lose water weight ever :glorious:
Trivia pic. Changed my plate number after 9/11. Some will get it and some won't:o7:
tz1.jpg

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
LOL...Hot?...I'm from the 2 wheel side of the spectrum...LOL! Nothing like sitting on a starting grid in the middle of August at R/A wearing a dead cow and protective gear waiting for the sign to be turned on its side.
Best 30 years of my life and best way to lose water weight ever :glorious:
Yea, wearing fire resistant underwear and race suit in a hot car with no air flow definitely helps get me slim. Luckily I got smart and picked up a Coolshirt system so I can at least keep the core cool.

Should still be over 100*F here when the track opens back up and possibly monsoon season so humidity may jump up a lot.

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
I was Firefighter/ EMT years ago. I get it. I still think they should officially update it to 344. Keith Roma died a hero on 9/11 too.
:o7: Never forget.
View attachment 24700
I was pleasantly surprised on how many folks in and out of the paddock noticed it.
The wife always had a conga line feeding track staff so word traveled rather fast around the organizations we raced with.
Those heros gave all they had and would ever have in an insperational act of herorism.
Thanks for your service young man.

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Man is it hot here in Florida. It rains almost every afternoon but then the heat and humidity come back with an attitude.
Exhaust is done and aside from a long heat cycle the car is static.:thump:
The BMW exhaust came off in one piece from the down pipe all the way to the tips. Power valve mounted to a simulator so the ECU does not see an open circuit and hid behind a wheel well.
Can't really notice much change parked but Im toast.
Cheers gang o7.:like:

Attachments

• Glorious
Forgot your password?