marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
For me, a better solution has always been the use of multiple channels. An example you would have the typical squad level and then the squad leader would be in a platoon channel (often ends here because more than 30 players become hard to coordinate) But you could add another layer with a company channel. The whole idea is each channel doesn't typically have more than 10 people in it and allows for information to be shared at the level where it's important. Battlefield 2 did this surprisingly well with the squad leaders and commander in one channel and each of the squad members automatically in their own channel. This allows the commander and squad leaders to communicate tactics and squads to focus on enemy location and engagements within their influence.
Hmmmm, last saturday, left ear Discord, right ear Guilded. There has to be some comms discipline, otherwise you will go nuts. Due to a fault on my side, Discord didn't had voice. Goooood, it happened at least 2 times that I pressed left PTT while I was talking to my right channel 😁

O-Lefty

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 12, 2016
RSI Handle
O-Lefty
My issue with their created tiered voice is voice pollution at the squad level, especially since the way its implemented those in the upper tier are not hearing how busy voice coms are and it doesn't seem to mute the conversations in lower tiers so it just creates this weird garbled com of everyone talking over each other.

For me, a better solution has always been the use of multiple channels. An example you would have the typical squad level and then the squad leader would be in a platoon channel (often ends here because more than 30 players become hard to coordinate) But you could add another layer with a company channel. The whole idea is each channel doesn't typically have more than 10 people in it and allows for information to be shared at the level where it's important. Battlefield 2 did this surprisingly well with the squad leaders and commander in one channel and each of the squad members automatically in their own channel. This allows the commander and squad leaders to communicate tactics and squads to focus on enemy location and engagements within their influence.

It's easy to see in Star Citizen the boarding team doesn't need to know how the interceptor wing is doing protecting Montoyas Bengal nor need their comms interrupted with Montoya instructing the Capital Captains in their target priorities, nor can I imagine the amount of interruption mumbling would cause.
You can already do this with whisper to groups.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
This looks great, but ceertainly needs a lot more time to digest. I would note though, that to be useful nearly everyone at TEST needs to be on this service. To accomplish that you'd need to essentially close down Discord 9after sufficient warnings), warn people off spectrum, and close this proprietary forum, whilst moving everything over that you can. Seems like a ton of work but just as mentioned, peoiple using different services has dire consequences.

When I recruit TEST members on Facebook, I always send them to the general TEST forum and Discord. Seems now I should start sending everyone to Guilded.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
You can already do this with whisper to groups.
I thought whisper wasn't a channel in of itself thus each member of the whisper group would need to make sure they created a whisper group that included everyone and tab to the app every time they needed to add or remove someone.

There should be some prioritization of the chat for that aspect, at least I remember something like that in TeamSpeak...
Basically you can assign priority to the channel, so that if someone il talking on the "father" channel, or the chat in the lower ones get volume dumped and you can hear clearly the most important chat..

Hmm never played Battlefield but form your description is exacly what we Guilded aimed to archive: nested channel. This way a squad commander can chat with his squad but also chat with the above officer and with the other squad commanders to coordinate all the squad tactics.
Not sure I understand what you mean by nesting. It was my understanding that Guilded's implementation was that all those in Parent Group A would broadcast to all children of the group while those in child group B would hear from Group A but only talk to other members and children groups of group B.

Battlefield 2's way was more akin to how @marcsand2 using two programs one for each ear and then hotkey the push to talk on that channel to different buttons. This allows each channel to be focused on a specific topic. As a squad member having com's overrun with needless command tactics is frustrating when you are attempting to work together sweeping rooms or holding a control point. Thus is typically better to not go with a nested approch and allow each squad to have their own channel while the squad leader can be in two channels the squad channel and a leadership channel.

Squad leader need to tell his squad to STFU!
lol, even with strick com discipline its been my experience when playing competitively the channel get heavily utilized.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Not sure I understand what you mean by nesting. It was my understanding that Guilded's implementation was that all those in Parent Group A would broadcast to all children of the group while those in child group B would hear from Group A but only talk to other members and children groups of group B.

Hell I hope it won't be like that becouse otherwise will be a mess and chaotic comunication... 🤔

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Seems now I should start sending everyone to Guilded.
Perhaps I was not clear in my video.

I asked that everybody go check out guilded, start an account, look at (and make use of) the calendar events and give us feedback about your experience.

I did not ask that you abandon everything we have here and tell everybody to go there immediately.

If some of you really enjoy using Guilded, and want to use it for voice and chat, feel free to do so!

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Battlefield 2's way was more akin to how @marcsand2 using two programs one for each ear and then hotkey the push to talk on that channel to different buttons. This allows each channel to be focused on a specific topic. As a squad member having com's overrun with needless command tactics is frustrating when you are attempting to work together sweeping rooms or holding a control point. Thus is typically better to not go with a nested approch and allow each squad to have their own channel while the squad leader can be in two channels the squad channel and a leadership channel.
Well, it also work in discord with 2 channels. I only must have 2 accounts in Discord and 2 instances of Discord. The official Discord release and the PTB Discord release. I checked it with Discord, explaining my case, no problem here, as long as I am nice with both accounts on Discord, behave like TOS states, I can do it. The problem here is: one guy, maybe a few guys have 2 accounts on TEST discord. That is not what you want. You want to do it with one account. Guilded supports this feature, Discord doesn't. Well... I'm not sure about the 2 channels, 2 split audio.

To achieve this I have to use split audio channels. Left from DiscordPTB or Guilded, right from Discord. Then I set orientation from one channel to left, the other to right, mix both channels together again and voila. 2 ears, 2 different channels. no talking over each other, only a mess in my brain

O-Lefty

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 12, 2016
RSI Handle
O-Lefty
I thought whisper wasn't a channel in of itself thus each member of the whisper group would need to make sure they created a whisper group that included everyone and tab to the app every time they needed to add or remove someone.

lol, even with strick com discipline its been my experience when playing competitively the channel get heavily utilized.
You can make whisper roles and make them self-assignable. Also, the commander should be the only person really working that channel.

Also........... the game Star Citizen itself has side channels you can make and join now.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
You can make whisper roles and make them self-assignable. Also, the commander should be the only person really working that channel.

Also........... the game Star Citizen itself has side channels you can make and join now.
Ya, it's going to be interesting to see how Star Citizen channels work.

Forgot your password?