Is anyone playing on Linux?

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
My ongoing frustrations with windows 10 got me wondering about the current state of SC on Linux. Especially after I tried to reinstall windows 10 and the installer just failed to even start. so seeing as I can't reinstall my aging windows with the software garbage continuing to pile up after all these years, I thought I might give running SC on Linux Mint a try.

I am already running Linux Mint 20.2 (will likely update to newest soon) on my 2nd computer which I use for anything that's not gaming, so i'm already familiar with the OS and can install and use it without friction. The restricted variety of games would be the only problem - but even then, there's plenty of games that run well (enough) using Steam's Proton translator.

and before anyone pulls the "just google it" line, running a search returns threads from years ago. that's garbage info which I'm just going to ignore.

so, can anyone report on the state of SC on Linux?

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone

There is a small but dedicated collection of space penguins keeping Linux in the fight; it's even been a question brought up to the Evocati. The link above has most of the information, including the in-game org and the Discord server.

I have not set it up in a few patches, been too busy with things like moving, changeing jobs, and less savory life requirements. But I have a separate Team Red box just for the purpose that I'm hoping to give attention in the coming weeks.

I've used Debian, Manjaro, Pop OS and Mint to good effect in the past.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
While im one of the lucky ones that had almost zero issue's with my genuine free upgraded Spyware... Cough cough I mean win10, as it has since my first install been moved to two different mobo-cpu-ssd combo's without skipping a beat, I'm glad to see SC getting some free OS love. I know my post is pointless but it does bump the thread to top so maybe others in the same boat as you get to see it easier.
Good luck with your endeavors! Once we get full vulkan support and such, it should get easier to play along with the common folk,

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'm fully intending to use on Linux once it becomes an option. I'm strictly an end user and my cycle of OS goes like this:

Buy computer.
Use it until it's Windows install becomes unsupported.
Install a Linux.
Continue to use it until hardware failure.
Repeat.

But last time I built my own machine from parts. I was presented with two (four) options:

Option 1 install Linux.
Option 2 Buy and install official Windows 10
(Option 3 get a cheap Win10 key, option 4 install but don't activate)

Went with option 2 as at the time the machine was solely for SC and was concerned about reliable updates, then Win11 happened that needed a hardware chip my machine didn't have. So it'll be back to Linux again - so hope they have end user implementation nailed by that point.

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
my current setup is 1 PC with losedows 10 and 1 with Winux Mint. but in a few weeks time, when I have a new PC, I intend to have both PCs with Winux Mint - unless something doesn't work, in which case I'll have a losedows 10 installer as a backup.

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
So I've made several attempts over the years to go 100% Linux but I continually fail for one main reason: Games. Even when supported the just. . . don't ever quite cut the mustard for some reason. I've resigned to a split-system lifestyle where I run Windows on my main gaming PC but run headless Linux for my server. Incidentally, it DOES work wonderfully to have my dedicated Valheim server up 24/7, so small gaming-(sorta)-on-Linux there.
On the other side, I've also learned it's important to SKIP every other Windows version! XP - fine, Vista - garbage, 7 - great, 8 - all time low, 10 - been fine for me, 11 - skipping due to having figured out 'the pattern' and also the immovable taskbar >:(
FWIW, I've picked up I think now 3 copies of Window 10 Pro for $20 from those low-cost resellers. Two worked out of the box and while one didn't, I wrote them an email and within hours they sent me another valid replacement key. No longer see any reason to spring 5x that from the 'official' retailer. . .
/End less-than-helpful reply.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I was using Linux to play SC...using Lutris.

Basically, in a nutshell, you still had to have a Windows box, because you couldn't do the install from Linux, but you could get it up and running once you copied it over. My solution was to just pull out my Win10 startup drive and use my Linux drive in its place, have SC installed on a D drive, and then just put the Win10 drive back in when I had to install the "quarterly" update.

The real pain was that the Lutris startup seemed to break every time the SC Launcher got updated...then I'd have to wait for some Linux genius to figure out how to get Lutris to work, and then I'd have to update that. So, I eventually just kept using Win10 (blah!)...and then started using TrackIR, etc. but there are Linux solutions to that. But I just want to play the darn game, and not spend all my time researching Linux workarounds.

I do hope SC releases a Linux client SoonTM, but until then....

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
my understanding is that CIG are planning to rely on Wine.

As for the Linux geniuses solving the problem of the game not working, see Ayeteeone's comment.
Thanks for the shoutout..

From what I have been led to believe in conversations, the intent is or at least was to create a native Linux client. Other than the client, the entire rest of the game runs on Linux servers and there are devs within the company who want to close the loop. Vulkan integration is a big step in that direction.

I'm hoping, because this is the only significant software I still run under Windows, and that only because of how often the builds break.

Reactions: CRISS9000

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
From July 2023 Monthly PU report:

"Progress was then made on removing the remaining ‘MapAndWrite’ discard calls in the renderer in preparation for the new Vulkan backend. They also reworked the game-launcher code structure to reduce code duplications and enable Linux-based headless clients, which will help with automatic testing. "

Steps along the way.

Reactions: CRISS9000

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
the prophecy will come true.

Winux shall be the victor.

And we shall all be free from the tyranny of Macro$oft and their Losedows.

Ploeperpengel

Space Marshal
Jun 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Sadis
What you describe simple sounds like a botched up installation. A fresh install should usually fix this unless you have a manufacturer who can't develope proper drivers for your components. You might want to get a recent windows image if your current installer has issues. I'm not anti Linux but won't use it privately since I couldn't play half the games I own. edit: make sure to update your BIOS as well. If your Installer and BIOS aren't both current, you might easily encounter incompatibilities that aren't documented anywhere.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?