• Total voters

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
That's the spirit!
But why... people will push the limits in every aspect... if there is no consequence there is no need for restraint... the problem with video games today (my opinion). Game developers, like parents of spoiled children or a crack dealer, give the gamers everything they want... why I think pay to play is better than anarchy. Pay to play is at least better because people have to actually invest in the game via real monetary means. I know all you starving college kids are going to raise hell about my comment. Life is not free, neither should a AAA game be.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
But why... people will push the limits in every aspect... if there is no consequence there is no need for restraint... the problem with video games today (my opinion). Game developers, like parents of spoiled children or a crack dealer, give the gamers everything they want... why I think pay to play is better than anarchy. Pay to play is at least better because people have to actually invest in the game via real monetary means. I know all you starving college kids are going to raise hell about my comment. Life is not free, neither should a AAA game be.
Nothing is truly free, we have power in numbers, especially in test.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
How many of us have signed up with the names we've grown attached to in other MMOs? Will you be able to suspend your disbelief when you find yourself in a dogfight with a x_DeathFairy_x or an ElfenCrunk? Hell, Maynard G. Krebs (the G is silent) is a character from a 1950s American television comedy.
Exactamundo.
I think you two have hit on an idea here.

I've heared many people say:

"Yeah it can have total fidelity and deep immersion but when i'm chasing some fool called "NaffNaffBobFace" it's going take some icing off the top of the cake, because I'd feel silly shouting 'I'll have my revenge! NaffNaff you killed my farther' "

Well how about this - A slider between a players "handle" names as chosen and a serious 'Normal' name they are issued. It would have to be issued or you'd get people calling themselves Mary Christmas, Mike Hunt or Richard Head. Flip the switch in the settings and all you see are normal names. Put the suggestion to Chris Roberts, we are in Alpha, now is TOTALLY the time to suggest this as an 'Immersion setting'.

First dibs on Richard Head if we can choose our own Normo-Names.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I'd feel silly shouting 'I'll have my revenge! NaffNaff you killed my farther' "
You might but I'd totally shout it out. The reality is there will always be elements that break realism in game. For instance how many of us hop and run from one task or spot to another? Ok bad example the toddler has for an hour, so i guess we are all toddlers in game.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

SweetDee

Vice Admiral
Jan 7, 2017
RSI Handle
SweetDee

"Yeah it can have total fidelity and deep immersion but when i'm chasing some fool called "NaffNaffBobFace" it's going take some icing off the top of the cake, because I'd feel silly shouting 'I'll have my revenge! NaffNaff you killed my farther' "
I came up with my name during an Always Sunny binge watching weekend. I know there was a time when I cared what I was "known" as in the gaming world, but now? Now I'm a fucking bird!

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
i like to use the golden rule, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
Then... can I feed you pumpkin pie? and burritos? whenever you're hungry? Cuz.. I'd really like pumpkin pie and a burrito right now.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
. . .but when i'm chasing some fool called "NaffNaffBobFace" it's going take some icing off the top of the cake, because I'd feel silly shouting 'I'll have my revenge! NaffNaff you killed my farther' "

Well how about this - A slider between a players "handle" names as chosen and a serious 'Normal' name they are issued.
This is a long standing complaint going back to the earliest days of Everquest, and even non-graphic freeform gaming in the late 80s' and early 90's. I have to admit I hate to this day seeing handles that do not resemble names, such as "Steve83658". I do think though that if there were to be a real solution, it still requires the player choose their name and handle, and should permit at least 1 name change in a year or so.

And while we're preaching, folks; pick a name that shortens easily. No one is going to type out 4 syllables to suit your vanity.

Reactions: Bambooza

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I think you two have hit on an idea here.

Well how about this - A slider between a players "handle" names as chosen and a serious 'Normal' name they are issued. It would have to be issued or you'd get people calling themselves Mary Christmas, Mike Hunt or Richard Head. Flip the switch in the settings and all you see are normal names. Put the suggestion to Chris Roberts, we are in Alpha, now is TOTALLY the time to suggest this as an 'Immersion setting'.

First dibs on Richard Head if we can choose our own Normo-Names.
Paging Richard Smoker.

View: https://youtu.be/yAtKppNIcXY

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Firen

Vice Admiral
Feb 6, 2018
RSI Handle
jeremyD
As for me Killing players isnt ok in the SC univers, i dont see this game as a giant RVR / PVP game, but more an epic space opera simulator. There will be combat mission of course and i hope you get the option to do your job without spilling blood or take it to a minimal.
But i m not fool enough to believe there will never be any killing in the game. But as far as i m concerned i will never intentionnaly go player hunting. But as john sheridan said " never start a conflict but always go though the end"

Forgot your password?