Its a Showdown of Ships!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I do have to insist that CIG continues the proud tradition of the 'Ship Showdown'.
Some of my more colorful liveries stem from owning one (or more) of the Top4.
So please... don't take away my free paints...!
Aaaand some people enjoy the free-flight.
but I'm not one of those...
:-P
I enjoy the Ship Showdown events, but I wish they'd change a few things. Expand it to the top 32 instead of 16, ban all top winners from future events & ban all top 4 winners for at least the next 4 events. I believe that this would help give more opportunities for more ships to shine brightly for those that love them.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
I enjoy the Ship Showdown events, but I wish they'd change a few things. Expand it to the top 32 instead of 16, ban all top winners from future events & ban all top 4 winners for at least the next 4 events. I believe that this would help give more opportunities for more ships to shine brightly for those that love them.
While I see your point, I have to respectfully disagree with you for this event. It's a popularity contest; the point of it is to engage the audience which is best done by showing the ships they actually like. Also, CIG is already manipulating it behind the scenes to improve the variation in ships. They have to be - I can see the Terrapin showing up on the fringes due to it's cult status, but the Gladiator? NFW that qualifies, most backers wouldn't even recognize it.

Edit: Thinking about it, this might even be a case of them trying to artificially boost the popularity and sales of the Gladiator by claiming it 'earned' a spot in the top 16. That would be a valid if distasteful marketing strategy.

Last edited:

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Did I miss the "Make the Gladiator great again" rally?
Or is this ( Chris forbid) a not so subtle salespitch?
Edit: Thinking about it, this might even be a case of them trying to artificially boost the popularity and sales of the Gladiator by claiming it 'earned' a spot in the top 16. That would be a valid if distasteful marketing strategy.
It does seem to me that great minds think alike. :like:

Jokes aside, there is as much marketing going on in this 'contest' as there is public vote.
Honestly, if the contestants would be selected by popularity we'd see a Drake Corsair hurling towards the throne.
The fact that it didn't even show up among the Top 16 leaves a bit of a strange aftertaste.
And don't get me started on my sweet Cutlass Red... :thump:

Raven_King

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jan 17, 2021
RSI Handle
Raven_King
I enjoy the ship showdown as much as ever, but It strikes me as interesting that fewer than 30,000 backers voted each round, compared (arbitrarily) to 44,000 views of this video: Star Citizen Alpha 3.24 - Cargo Empires (youtube.com) posted just 12 hours ago. Weirdly, I think they might have more engagement if they showed an example of the BIS colour scheme on an example ship, before the showdown started, so we knew what we were aiming to 'win' for our preferred vehicle.

LurchLord

Space Marshal
Apr 30, 2016
RSI Handle
LurchLord
I enjoy the ship showdown as much as ever, but It strikes me as interesting that fewer than 30,000 backers voted each round, compared (arbitrarily) to 44,000 views of this video: Star Citizen Alpha 3.24 - Cargo Empires (youtube.com) posted just 12 hours ago. Weirdly, I think they might have more engagement if they showed an example of the BIS colour scheme on an example ship, before the showdown started, so we knew what we were aiming to 'win' for our preferred vehicle.
That would actually make sense, so I don't see this happening ;)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

• o7

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

• o7

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
It's the most favoritist, power crept, really expensive but limited-gameplay, can't effectively pvp and might eventually be useless against armor single seat fighter in the game! What's not to like?

I do use the ship for running missions, and another paint option is never a bad idea, but I do come away from this year's contest (once again) feeling like it was rigged.

Forgot your password?