Joystick desk clamp

Voodoo

Admiral
Nov 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Just8KB8
Hey all,

Since a lot of you probably already found a good solution for this problem, I figure I'd ask here.

I have two T16000 sticks and I want to position them on the proper level so I can rest my arms on my chair (instead of on my desk which causes fatigue). I have found these:
https://www.monstertech.de/en/

They look awesome, but are kinda expensive (~€300,- incl. VAT and delivery costs). I would love to be able to easily remove them when I need to do some normal work.

Any good alternatives, suggestions or examples of builds you guys/gals have for me?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: marcsand2

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Yes, the Monstertech mounts are expensive, but the come with a few advantages:
  • stable
  • fully adjustable in height
    • flightstick
    • clamp
  • flightstick rotation adjustable
  • easy and fast to remove
Aluminium isn't cheap, clean processing is hard with home workshop tools. The flightstick plate is laser cut? If I had to make them myself, then it wouldn't be this fine and adjustable and it would cost a lot time to get near this quality.

To cut costs and keep it feasible, I would use wood.

The clamp of the monstertech mounts are the best solution to mount and remove the sticks fast without "modifying" your desk. You can try to copy this mechanism, but wood will always stick out more above your desk as aluminium to get the same stability, but since it is removable, this hopefully wont be and issue.

Another option would be to make a permanent construction underneath your desk. Screw a hinge at the appropriate place underneath your desk, screw the beam which holds your stick on the hinge. If you want to use your stick, fold the beam in vertical position, if you want to do "normal" work, fold the beam horizontal underneath your desk. You need to figure out how to lock the beam in vertical and horizontal position. Horizontal won't be that hard, vertical needs to be locked tight.

Another option would be to make sliding mounts. One part underneath your desk, fixed, and on the stick beam an opposite part which slides into the desk part. The tighter and more stable they are, the harder it is to mount and remove them. Vaseline or teflon grease helps sliding.

The height adjustment of the stick and rotation will be harder with wood. Try and find the perfect position and make it permanent fixed.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Thanks @marcsand2! Do you have the Monstertech clamps yourself? What is your experience with them? Are they worth the cost?
Nope, I made TEST simpit BEST simpit. No room and no need for Monstertech clamps. The side consoles are fixed height, so I have to do my height adjustments with the sports seat.
But since I build the TEST pit, you can see that I value adjustability and stability a lot. I also know what is possible with standard workshop tools. I have seen the manufacturing of Monstertech racing and flight rigs. It is industrial. I couldn't reproduce this quality.

In my opinion, the mounts are not cheap, stability depends on the force you apply on them and the height you mount the flightstick. More stable is hard to achieve without loosing the ability to remove them, so technically they are very good. Quality also is very good. Yes, I think that the mounts are worth the cost.

But always keep in mind, I go for quality above budget. I have 2 Warthogs and a MFG Crosswind. They have a price tag which pays back in joy.

Reactions: Voodoo

GojiraSamurai

Space Marshal
Jul 22, 2016
RSI Handle
GojiraSamurai
Hey all,

Since a lot of you probably already found a good solution for this problem, I figure I'd ask here.

I have two T16000 sticks and I want to position them on the proper level so I can rest my arms on my chair (instead of on my desk which causes fatigue). I have found these:
https://www.monstertech.de/en/

They look awesome, but are kinda expensive (~€300,- incl. VAT and delivery costs). I would love to be able to easily remove them when I need to do some normal work.

Any good alternatives, suggestions or examples of builds you guys/gals have for me?

Thanks in advance!
, cost a third of the monstertechs
you can try these, i use them... solid as a rock, removable and adjustable ...... virpil.by/en/shop/accessories/vpc-desk-mount-vpc

Reactions: marcsand2
Forgot your password?