Jump size speculation for ships

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
I posted this same thread on reddit, however, I wanted to also post it here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As someone looking into hauling/smuggling, I wanted to speculate on what size ships will be able to go through each size jump(small, medium, large). Now that we also have the starmap out, it is fun to speculate a bit on hauling advantages and disadvantages of the different ships. Here is how I see it so far:

Small Jump Capable Ships:
  • 300i series(23 meters)
  • Aurora series(18.5 meters)
  • Avenger series(17.85 meters)
  • F8 Lightning(26 meters)
  • Gladius(20 meters)
  • Gladiator(22 meters)
  • Herald(23 meters)
  • Hornet series(22.6 meters)
  • Hull A(22 meters)
  • Mustang Series(16.9 meters)
  • Reliant(13 meters, 29 meter width)
  • Sabre(26 meters)
Medium Jump Capable Ships: (All ships above this are also capable of using this jump)
  • 890 Jump(123 meters, debate about if large or not)
  • Banu Merchantman(100 meters, debate about large or not due to wingspan)
  • Carrack(123 meters, debate about if large or not)
  • Caterpillar(66.5 meters)
  • Constellation series(60.74 meters)
  • Cutlass series(29 meters)
  • Freelancer series(32 meters, medium confirmed from 2015 Citizencon)
  • Genesis Starliner(85 meters)
  • Hull B(49 meters, perhaps small when empty)
  • Hull C(105 meters)
  • Redeemer(39 meters)
  • Retaliator(70.5 meters)
  • Starfarer(90 meters)
  • Vanguard(37 meters)
Large Jump Capable Ships: (All ships above this are also capable of using this jump)
  • Bengal Carrier(1000 meters)
  • Endeavor(200 meters)
  • Hull D(209 meters)
  • Hull E(372 meters)
  • Idris(238.5 meters)
  • Javelin(345 meters)
  • Orion(170 meters)
  • Reclaimer(158 meters)

Unshaven

Commander
May 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Unshaven
I'm thinking the Carrack is going to be a large jumpoint ship. But, I also think (because it's a military grade ship) that it's scout ship will be like a 315P sort of and be able to jump and scout through the small/medium jump points. Out and back to the mother ship. That would give the Carrack the ability of scouting all jumppoint sizes it finds.

That makes sense to me as why would the UEE have it go out for 3 months and come back and say yeah, we found 4 jump points but they where all too small for us to checkout. So we got Nathan. I don't think so.

I think your list looks pretty tight. I wish the Freelancer Dur was good for smalls but oh well. Not sure about the Reliant either. It's superwide width might hose it for smalls. I expect the BanuMM to get buffed up in size if it's cargo size doesn't drop.

Last edited:

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
Starfarer is 2x the size they have listed. They say its like an endeaver in size. I say MM and 890 Jump and starliner and Carrack are in their own league, or Large.

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
Looks exactly like what I was going to write up in a day or so. lol Also almost exactly how I would have put them. :p

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
I would say the Carrack is Large, or even a specialized class seeing at is a very specialized ship just for exploring.

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
I was honestly hoping the Cutlass would be in the small category to give it a slight smuggler/precious cargo edge over the Freelancer, but most folks think it is a medium jump ship so I left it there.

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
i'm sad they downgraded the freelancer for jumps :( that was gonna be my main exploring ship...now i gotta figure out which ship i want to explore with :/

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
I was honestly hoping the Cutlass would be in the small category to give it a slight smuggler/precious cargo edge over the Freelancer, but most folks think it is a medium jump ship so I left it there.
Freelancer is the largest ship that can into smallest wormhole. It cant have both long range capabilities and ability to go anywhere. It is still imo a category 1 exploration ship right under carrack for being able to do what it can do.

Reactions: Reptar Khan

Unshaven

Commander
May 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Unshaven
On the Freelancer through the smallest jumppoint. I had thought that too, until this little blurb during the CitCon 2015 Live Broadcast.

Checkout their comments during the Ark Map reveal. Just after 55:20 or so. They mention the Freelancer using the medium sized jumppoints. Not sure if that was a mistake or ?

I know the Freelancer is going through an update now and also on Youtube, if you checkout Teller's excellent videos, he compares the original to the new one. It looks slightly larger. Especially at the end of the video, around 2:30 or so. Maybe that has something to do with it?

rogesh

Space Marshal
Oct 25, 2014
RSI Handle
rogesh
Wasn't the carrack able to "stretch " holes? Or am I remembering something wrong?

vindslav

Vice Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
vindslav
It is not just a question of length, but as you pointed out with the Mechantman, also beam and height. The Cutlass, for example, would likely fit the smallest, with the exception of length, its dimensions are similar to many small ships. If placed sideways, it is almost identical in dimensions to the Reliant, and if you consider that, if the Reliant is to be considered small, then mulple of the mediums would fit in there too (Vangaurd retracted; Height-6.3m Beam-25m i, Redeemer: Height-11m Beam-19.5m, Constellation; Height-13.4m, Beam-26.6m, granted this is old data on the Connie).

I do not think many people question the Freelancer though, its new engines are almost the size of an Aurora.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I'm not too mad about the Freelancer getting bumped up to medium, it looks like the size upgrade it's getting is going to put it close to the Connie in size. If it still maintains its low crew size, it will be a fantastic multicrew vessel.

Liquor_and_ores

Space Marshal
Jun 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Liquor_and_Ores
Unless the freelancer MAX sticks to having a low sig/low crew/low fuel and maintenance, it would be hard to justify using it over the other ships .

I do love those big side guns though... they drew me in when i first joined SC

Reptar Khan

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Quail_Girl
Tinyurl.com/SCwormhole
@Black Sunder / All
Thoughts?

Broke down all ship dimensions and redid (S/M/L) sizing based on distributions. This is some high level excel based theorycrafting lol!

The new ship sizes are based on a JumpPoint's Maximum Ideal Envelope. I'm assuming that larger ships 'could' fit through smaller JPs but at a greatly increased risk of hitting the walls/obstacles & exploding.
(No auto-succeed with JP data)

Will try and figure out 'Small' JP dimensions based on M50 teaser & probability of larger ships making it through.

*At work waiting to work

Reactions: Schmunkel

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
Tinyurl.com/SCwormhole
@Black Sunder / All
Thoughts?

Broke down all ship dimensions and redid (S/M/L) sizing based on distributions. This is some high level excel based theorycrafting lol!

The new ship sizes are based on a JumpPoint's Maximum Ideal Envelope. I'm assuming that larger ships 'could' fit through smaller JPs but at a greatly increased risk of hitting the walls/obstacles & exploding.
(No auto-succeed with JP data)

Will try and figure out 'Small' JP dimensions based on M50 teaser & probability of larger ships making it through.

*At work waiting to work
I'm hoping this is something we can get ironed out once Alpha 2.0 expands to multiple systems in 2018.

Reactions: Reptar Khan
Forgot your password?