Knife Sharpening Day. Any advice?

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
There are tons of videos and quite a lot of literature on the best way to sharpen knives. Most will give you super complicated instructions and precise measurements. There are also tons of gadgets that cost tons of money. They all claim to give you this magical ability to sharpen a knife to such a degree that it can split an atom!

I'm from a different camp altogether. I neither understood, cared for, or have seen the use for this mystical razor edge. I grew up in the woods. My pocket knives lost their tips. My hunting knives were stuck into trees. When I was in the middle of something and needed to put it down, I would throw it into the ground. The dirt makes a great temporary sheath. I'd hammer it into things, pry things, use them to dig a stubborn rock out of my fire pit, and every other "unholy" use for a knife. You know what? It would still gut fish and skin critters just fine.

My take on knives and sharpening is simple. The only real trick is to get comfortable, find your angle, move your blade across the whetstone and repeat that same exact motion. Concentrate on what you are doing and just repeat the motions. That's it. The rest is just moving metal. Since I treat my knives like a tool and not a sacred artifact, I start with a really rough stone like 400 or 600 grit. A couple dozen passes on that will take the dings out. Then I jump up to a 3000 grit and finish it out.

I do this about once per month. That gives me a tomato knife. By that I mean that it will bite into a tomato and cut through it without having to saw at it. That's all the sharper I will ever need. I've used a 1000/6000 grit set quite a bit as well. I liked that set, but it just took too long and never really gave me any practical improvement. My favorite by far was a 400/3000 stone that I lost because the rum made me drop it.

On a side note, most stones will walk you through some complicated prep work. You have to soak it for 10 minutes, dunk it twice in distilled water, sprinkle virgin tears over it, and gently rub it with an olive branch before using it. I've found that to be nonsense. Just slap the stone down and get to work (gently, because you'll break it). Using oil or water does help, but isn't necessary.

TLDR: All that ritual is unnecessary. Just get a low grit and a medium grit and get to work. Find your angle, draw the blade across, and repeat that exact motion. That's it. No ritual. All that ritual does is turn a quick 5 min task into a daunting hour long chore. There are some beautiful knives out there, but work knives are made for work. Don't waste your time treating a tool like a precious artifact and don't waste your time getting an atom splitting edge when you're just chopping some carrots. (unless that's your thing. In which case, go for it.)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Get a high speed electric grinder with a angle bench. change grits as you go along. Finish off by hand with a diamond powder. I do this for my chisels at the wood shop and they can split hair. you need lots of practice to make a good knife. Another thing to remember is if your knives are not a good forge they are not going to stay sharp and become good knives. Ive never heard of any of those brands of knives buy yourself a cheaper set of wustoff or henckels(Entry lvl). I have always prefered german steel in my kitchens very good forge very heavy(https://www.zwilling.com/us/)

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
Hold blade at correct angle.
Sharpen one side until you get a wire edge.
Turn over and carefully take off the wire edge.
Be careful, that thing will be really sharp.
Use a steel to hone when it starts to get dull.
Works for me.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
RIP paper.

Cool-Hand-Luke

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Cool-Hand-Luke
Love the wicked edge system. For every day sharpening I prefer the fine grit belt sander. Sander puts a nice convex egde on every knife in the house
plus the lawn mover blade in 30 min. There is a learning curve but that applies to all knife sharpening techniques.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Gotin

Commander
Aug 30, 2020
RSI Handle
Gotin and Alia
Am I the only one that uses a diamond dust plate? It will take metal off pretty quick but that means it's super handy because you only need to vary pressure to get a fine or coarse hone. Need to remove a ding? Just apply a bit more pressure for ten strokes or so. Just a touch up? Feather it across a few times.

I basically do draw cuts as I move the blade across so that it sets up a bit of an angle. Then the next stroke reverse that so that it's across the last cut/grind. Start off medium pressure and end up with almost no pressure, just touching.

I've always used the thumbnail and paper methods to test. Thumbnail should be resting the edge across your nail, then basically try to scrape the blade over the nail while holding it upright. It shouldn't move just using it's own weight. Same with paper, if you want a shaving edge just the weight of the knife, held at the end of the handle, should be enough to let it cut the sheet, a bit of a drop start is allowed if going for slightly less than shaving.

I used to use the three stone wet method with oil. But that all changed when I found the diamond plates. They're cheap and are amazingly effective and best yet, you can use them dry.

Found one on amazon, I just have one but this is a three piece kit.

Forgot your password?