Long term hangar question, looking for opinions.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Hey guys,
Long term hangar question. My current fleet is below.
I have a Sabre to Zeus MkII MR CCU waiting to see if the MR is something I might actually need for bounty hunting, once bounty hunting is more than just fly out and shoot someone. :)

fleetpic (14).png

Right now the Sabre only gets used when I can't rearm/refuel/repair the Vanguard and I want to missile a target with size 3 missiles.

With a Hawk, Cutlass Blue and a Vanguard, does a Medium fighter like the Hornet, Sabre or even Super Hornet really have a place in the fleet?

I suppose it could take up deck space during an Org operation as a carrier bird so I can drink in the Idris mess hall.

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
I get your concern about the makeup of your fleet.
But I'd say in favor of the Sabre that it lets you sneak past patrols you do not want to alarm to your presence.
So your bounty will not dart.
Makes me wonder why they haven't released a sneaky headhunting ship yet.
Prowler Blue anyone?
So much easier to take 'em alive if you get the drop on 'em...
PS: Ship size don't matter when it comes to hitting the bar in any Test Squadron associated fleet! :o7:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I get your concern about the makeup of your fleet.
But I'd say in favor of the Sabre that it lets you sneak past patrols you do not want to alarm to your presence.
So your bounty will not dart.
Makes me wonder why they haven't released a sneaky headhunting ship yet.
Prowler Blue anyone?
So much easier to take 'em alive if you get the drop on 'em...
PS: Ship size don't matter when it comes to hitting the bar in any Test Squadron associated fleet! :o7:
If I can't land I can't hit the bar inside. :)

If I need to sneak past something, I have the Eclipse, but neither the Eclipse nor the Sabre have a way to haul a prisoner. Put a prisoner in the cargo hold of a Hornet Ghost, or build a Ghost version of the Super Hornet might work though.

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
If we're sticking with the bounty hunting mantra, then I'd say maybe consider the Scorpius Antares as a medium-heavy fighter that fits that type of gameplay better than the Sabre. On the lighter side there's also both the EMP and prisoner versions of the Avenger to consider. . .

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I have vanguard harbinger as a heavy fighter and see no need for a light one - there'll be plenty of others around you in light fighters I am happy to do my job slightly more slowly and more heavily but the heavy long range fighter is a job that needs doing!!

So no I would not waste money having the sabre too (unless you LOVE how it flies).

I've thinned my fleet right out now the last 24 months, I used to have loads of overlap and loads of small ships but now much more purposeful and a couple of bigger ships (perseus size)

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
If we're sticking with the bounty hunting mantra, then I'd say maybe consider the Scorpius Antares as a medium-heavy fighter that fits that type of gameplay better than the Sabre. On the lighter side there's also both the EMP and prisoner versions of the Avenger to consider. . .
Yes, Bounty Hunting is the primary purpose. Thanks.

The Vanguard has a Sentinel BUK, so it, the Hawk and the MR have EMP covered. The Blue and MR both have the Quantum Dampners so that seems covered. The Antares doesn't maneuver as well as a medium fighter, doesn't have more firepower than a medium fighter, and can't carry a bounty. What am I missing?

The Avenger Stalker and Hawk both appear to fit in the same entry level bounty hunting ship role. Other than having something that has a fast claim timer, is there really a reason for both?

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I have vanguard harbinger as a heavy fighter and see no need for a light one - there'll be plenty of others around you in light fighters I am happy to do my job slightly more slowly and more heavily but the heavy long range fighter is a job that needs doing!!

So no I would not waste money having the sabre too (unless you LOVE how it flies).

I've thinned my fleet right out now the last 24 months, I used to have loads of overlap and loads of small ships but now much more purposeful and a couple of bigger ships (perseus size)
I was thinking Hornets instead of Sabres but, yes, a medium fighter might not really be needed.
Thanks.

• o7

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
Thanks guys. What I'm seeing so far is not to worry about replacing the Sabre.
Yep, I see no strong reason to at the moment. I think part of the issue is that ALL medium fighters are kinda poorly positioned currently, with both light and heavy fighters tending to be 'better' options. I suspect that might change with either Master Modes and/or proper armor implementation, but no real sense in trying to second guess that rather than just waiting and seeing!

• o7

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Yep, I see no strong reason to at the moment. I think part of the issue is that ALL medium fighters are kinda poorly positioned currently, with both light and heavy fighters tending to be 'better' options. I suspect that might change with either Master Modes and/or proper armor implementation, but no real sense in trying to second guess that rather than just waiting and seeing!
The Hornet, right now, is a hell of a ship. It may have to do with a bug, or it could be that it is the intended differentiator for medium fighters. The straight line acceleration is unreal.

• o7

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
The Antares doesn't maneuver as well as a medium fighter, doesn't have more firepower than a medium fighter, and can't carry a bounty. What am I missing?
Except for the fact that the Antares pilot can't fire the Quantum dampener OR the EMP as such?
Nope, I think you covered it all quite nicely. :o7:

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I think the Hornet/super Hornet should have a place in any fleet, even some non combat one.
Players tend to forget that the Hornet, un like any other similar size fighter, is a modular platform and can be adapted to different role:
- need a scout: mount the traker radar dome
- need an explorer: mount the cargo bay to allow you to transport light cargo
- need a dogfighter: mount the turret with 2 S2 weapons and allow the co-pilot to increase the engaging zone for your weapons
- need an heavy hitter: mount the S4 weapon mount and equip some nice bug gun to del with more stubborn target.

Some of the role are covered by the Vanguard too (another ship I like), but that is a far larger ship and changing the modules doesn't looks like a simple operation like swapping the central mount on the Hornet, plus some role are not overlapping.

If you're looking for some multi-role solution that is more leaning toward combat then one of the Hornet is a good choice, you can always find a role for it, even if is not the best ship for that role.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but is your intent for you to be the only one flying these ships or do you plan to have others flying with your in your ships?
The ships you specifically mentioned on fly very differently from each other and there are many changes coming that will further differentiate them
Due to this, if your plan is to be the only one flying them then I'd recommend that once you have the 'role' covered then everything else should be what 'feels' best to you to fly. However, if planning to invite people to fly with you in the ships you're providing, then that can complicate things if your concern is a 'balanced' fleet.

• o7

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but is your intent for you to be the only one flying these ships or do you plan to have others flying with your in your ships?
The ships you specifically mentioned on fly very differently from each other and there are many changes coming that will further differentiate them
Due to this, if your plan is to be the only one flying them then I'd recommend that once you have the 'role' covered then everything else should be what 'feels' best to you to fly. However, if planning to invite people to fly with you in the ships you're providing, then that can complicate things if your concern is a 'balanced' fleet.
My wife and I intend to play together. Her fleet is similar, other than the Eclipse, up to, and including the MSR.
Always fly with a wingman.

if I'm understanding your question correctly,
For the multictrew ships the intent is to fly with crew, either us together or with additional players as crew. The specific use of the Retaliator is for when there is a larger group to crew one ship.

It isn't a balanced fleet, more of a progression, plus support ships to move home base. The primary function is bounties, with a secondary function of combat support for the Org.

We will cross contested jurisdictions, find who or what you are looking for and bring it back to you in the condition requested.

View: https://youtu.be/ST9OkLjTu9Q?si=-4osXZDcAis333ED

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
In that case, in your shoes, for the 'supplemental' ships (Hornet, Sabre, etc.) I'd just go with what looks/sounds fun.
Can always supplement or swap later with ships purchased in-game depending on how things go.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Interesting that you and your boss have the exact same fleet I woud have thought it would have made sense to diversify the other fleet a bit more?

• o7

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Interesting that you and your boss have the exact same fleet I woud have thought it would have made sense to diversify the other fleet a bit more?
"Two is one. One is none." (Old pilot adage)
"Never leave your wingman." (Top Gun)

You should fly combat craft in pairs.

One, possibly both MSR might change we might need to change one to a Herc or Hull-C. Moving your base is a royal PITA. After a trip in an MSR, and two trips in an M-2 I still left some things behind.

Depending on what future ships for bounty hunting come out, there may be other adjustments. But the main goal is to be good enough together that we can take things we wouldn't be good enough alone to take.
Also getting used to flying each others ships isn't an issue.

• o7

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think eventually, most every player will want some sort of deck based attack ship for use in org missions, so Fury, Arrow or Eclipse. There’s always time to buy one but I think everyone should be practiced at one of these. I can’t tell since I’m on my phone but it looks like you have an Eclipse tucked in there.

You want to do bounty hunting, but you’re not interested in the Legionnaire?

• o7
Forgot your password?