Looks like the Polaris is the Citizencon ship

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I would guess 4 S4 manned turrets, lots of missiles, and docking but nowhere to land. E-warfare capability, extended range radar, very heavily armored and shielded, and very fast for ships its size. Do not be surprised if it can outrun some fighters.
When I wrote this I was wondering if it would be 4 S5 manned turrets. Looking at the 890 Jump, I would revise my guess to 4 S5. The 890 is close to the same size and capability. A more militarized version of the Jump could make a good Corvette.

Zull Reicher

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Tiltz
Hey all. After reading the post "Something Every Tuesday"(https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/15495-Something-Every-Tuesday) a few weeks ago, it seems apparent that there may be (2) variants of the new corvette.

One will be a naval variant (most likely limited quantities) and the other will be a militia variant (unlimited quantities) for the plebes and proles. See below the below text from the aforementioned "Something Every Tuesday,"

Jules: Yes. I was fortunate enough to be selected as the lead designer for the Polaris. Largest ship I’ve had a chance to work on yet. Well over a hundred meters.

What’s it like working on that scale?

Jules: It complicates everything. The weight distribution, hull stresses, power ratios. Every ten meters you add, it adds significantly more problems, but at the end of the day, good design is good design no matter the scale. Probably the bigger difference for me on this project has been working on a more combat focused ship. It has been fascinating to consult not only with Navy personnel, but also smaller militia units. More and more of these capital ships are being used by planetary defense forces, so we’ve been trying to meet their needs as well.

And there’s a difference?

Jules: Definitely.

Can you give an example?

Jules: The Navy is a lot more willing to deal with complications if it means they have more ‘operational flexibility,’ while militia units typically want simplified dependability since they have less resources. The flooring comes to mind. We had this new technique we were looking at that could possibly save on the overall fabrication weight by adding these channels to the floor. Our Navy consultants loved the idea, the militia consultants were worried about how they were going to easily clean them if someone spilled something. It’s been an absolutely fantastic creative challenge trying to strike a balance.

All right, from the frantic waving of my producer, I think we have to take a quick break. We are definitely going to hear more from lead RSI designer Jules Parliegh when we get back and unveil an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the 2947 Polaris shipyards. Don’t go away.

OR, they are only making one variant to make everyone happy.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Price creep?

What price creep?

You don't think a EVA/ground motorbike is worth more than the militia Aurora variant? Or that the Argo is worth more than a full fledged ship?

Man I was shocked at how low the rover was, I thought a glorified go-cart was worth at least 60 USD, at least Avenger levels of money.
You're right. What was I thinking when i said that. Oh dear.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
This guy is generally pretty accurate. Would yo take it if it's like he describes and costs $750?

I, like many others, have price creep concerns. However, how do you place a value on pixels? The only logical way would be to base it on the cost of the materials, development, and production. Then you add a profit margin based on the projected amount of sales. Depending on the industry, that profit margin could be minimal, like the food industry, or extremely liberal like the pharmaceutical industry.

Now when it comes to pricing, I do think that video games are undervalued. Where I live, the price of a AAA game is roughly equivalent to taking my girls out to dinner. It is less than taking them to the movies and far less than a decent night at the bar. Yet, that AAA game can give me days, weeks, months, or even years of entertainment. On the whole (even calculating in PC and internet costs) gaming is by far the cheapest entertainment I have found.

So back to the question. If the Polaris was valued at $750, would I buy it? Probably not. However, it wouldn't be due to the price. I have spent more in one night on strippers (ahem, exotic dancers). I would imagine on a dollar per dollar comparison, I would get far more value from a Polaris than anything I received that night.

Reactions: AstroSam

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I can't understand why people are talking about price creep. A combat ship the size of an 890 Jump or Carrack, that is more capable than either of those ships at Corvette type duties, is going to be expensive. This is not a gunship. Depending upon whom you talk to, a Corvette is either the largest combat ship that is not a "ship of the line" intended for fleet engagements, or it is the smallest ship of the line. Either way, is is a big military vessel, not a scout like the Carrack or a pleasure yacht like the Jump. It should cost at least $600 and $750 is a better guess. Most players should not be able to afford this kind of ship without months of play, or we will be swamped in them. This is the kind of ship players should aspire to and work toward, not take for granted, IMHO.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I can
't understand why people are talking about price creep. A combat ship the size of an 890 Jump or Carrack, that is more capable than either of those ships at Corvette type duties, is going to be expensive. This is not a gunship. Depending upon whom you talk to, a Corvette is either the largest combat ship that is not a "ship of the line" intended for fleet engagements, or it is the smallest ship of the line. Either way, is is a big military vessel, not a scout like the Carrack or a pleasure yacht like the Jump. It should cost at least $600 and $750 is a better guess. Most players should not be able to afford this kind of ship without months of play, or we will be swamped in them. This is the kind of ship players should aspire to and work toward, not take for granted, IMHO.

People are talking about price creep because CIG keeps on gently upping the prices on ships.

You can see the difference between the price of an Aurora LN (25$) and the new Argo (35$). One is a fully fledged ship that comes with a Q-drive, Jump Drive, a good set of weapons and a missile rack, and can have a cargo box for hauling light amounts of cargo.

The other lacks any weapons or Q/J drive and can choose between hauling a not-substantially larger amount of cargo or hauling like 4 people. This is the more expensive one.

You can also see it in the price difference between the Merlin (20$) and the new Dragonfly (35$) Merlin is overall superior in just about every way for space combat. It's faster, more guns, bigger shields and powerplant. Only thing Dragonfly has is it's compact and can be a speeder bike on the ground. Worth almost 2x the price?

The real damning thing, IMO, is the fucking Rover cost. 50 dollars, the same cost of a game package with SQ42, PU, and a Mustang/Aurora and you get a glorified buggy. Sure it looks cool, sure it's got a little turret on it, but you can also buy a standalone Avenger with that dough.

Terrapin was what, 200 bucks? That's a laughably bad price:performance ratio for something that's supposed to be the first stepping stone for exploration.

I agree that the Polaris shouldn't be cheap, but also the 890 is laughably overpriced too. And if it's something to aspire for and work towards, maybe CIG could just you know, not sell it and make people work for it.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
People are talking about price creep because CIG keeps on gently upping the prices on ships.

You can see the difference between the price of an Aurora LN (25$) and the new Argo (35$). One is a fully fledged ship that comes with a Q-drive, Jump Drive, a good set of weapons and a missile rack, and can have a cargo box for hauling light amounts of cargo.

The other lacks any weapons or Q/J drive and can choose between hauling a not-substantially larger amount of cargo or hauling like 4 people. This is the more expensive one.

You can also see it in the price difference between the Merlin (20$) and the new Dragonfly (35$) Merlin is overall superior in just about every way for space combat. It's faster, more guns, bigger shields and powerplant. Only thing Dragonfly has is it's compact and can be a speeder bike on the ground. Worth almost 2x the price?

The real damning thing, IMO, is the fucking Rover cost. 50 dollars, the same cost of a game package with SQ42, PU, and a Mustang/Aurora and you get a glorified buggy. Sure it looks cool, sure it's got a little turret on it, but you can also buy a standalone Avenger with that dough.

Terrapin was what, 200 bucks? That's a laughably bad price:performance ratio for something that's supposed to be the first stepping stone for exploration.

I agree that the Polaris shouldn't be cheap, but also the 890 is laughably overpriced too. And if it's something to aspire for and work towards, maybe CIG could just you know, not sell it and make people work for it.
Totally agree on your arguments, nailed it. But as long as people are throwing their money towards CIG, as long this pricing politics won't changed by CIG (aka Sandi G. ;) ).

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77

Well said. I had the same opinion regarding the Dragonfly. I thought it was about $10.00 too much. I did buy two of them, separately, and I plan to use them like the Argo pair I bought for LTI to apply towards future ships. I realize some people think that LTI is not that big of a deal, but a buck's a buck and if I can save one or two in the game then I have more for fuel, etc.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I realize some people think that LTI is not that big of a deal, but a buck's a buck and if I can save one or two in the game then I have more for fuel, etc.
When you add up all the things you will want to pay for in and out of game, anything you can d to reduce your expenses seem worthwhile. I think there is going to be some sticker shock when players find what they need to pay NPC's to crew their larger ships as well as marine FPS NPC's top stop boarders.

Reactions: SpudNyk
Forgot your password?