Looks like the Taurus will have 172 SCU

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
@Cugino83 it is only an assumption that new improvement might pass to the rest of the series. People have been complaining many years about the struts in the cockpit of the Andromeda hampering the view, it seems the Taurus have less of that issue, and I hope that this will be improved too.
I don't recall the source about Taurus but I think it was one of the last ISC video featuring the Taurus, iirc they said much less struts.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane and FZD

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Meaning, you can simply eject the cargo because of the tractor beams?
No, Taurus supposedly has this system where the bottom of the cargo bay splits open, ejecting the cargo. It was like the main selling point in the Taurus brochure.

That is an interesting consideration but I think CIG plan to implement this in basically all the ships: the MSR for example does have on the central console beteween the two seats a cover-protecetd button labeled "dump cargo".
It could just be a place holder for the data wipe system or just implmented do to the "smuggler" nature of the ship, but it could find his way in other ship also.
I think there will be ships that will have it, and ships that wont. Taurus, cargo bay splits open and before deactivating the grav plates will naturally give momentum away from the ship for the cargo, simple enough. I don't know about MSR, if it has a button for it, then yeah, probably, though I don't quite see how that would work, just open the ramp and hope it floats out? But it needs momentum... Maybe there will be some system for it, like the wall with Crusader logo seems like it could work as a piston or something. But there will definitely be some ships that you just can't eject the cargo, like Starfarer for example, there is no physical way you could eject the internal cargo bay. You could jettison fuel or even drop the tanks, sure. Or take any Drake ship, that specifically have no safety features, somewhat doubt you could eject the cargo. Well, if you don't count caterpillar flight deck leaving 2/3rds of the ship behind.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I'm still hoping they'll do a quick pass on the bridge of all the Connies. I doubt they'll ever remove the struts--that's signature for most cargo-like ships. It's not a mistake. There aren't any Connie fighters and you don't need such an open view to launch missiles. What I want to see fixed is they make the living space more useful. The gun racks need to be moved forward from the living quarters to the aft section of the bridge, which is currently all wasted space, and the lockers in the living section need to be expanded. Maybe just move the bulkhead forward and put more room in the living section.

If CIG has habitually made a single mistake on all the larger ships it is lack of storage space, not the struts. They don't seem to think much what it means to live on a ship. Any ship this size ought to have room to store 3-4 guns and suits for each crew member, grenades, cutting tools, knives, hacking devices, etc. There never seems to be enough personal storage, even on ships as large as the Herc.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I ccu mine to a herc and still no regrets. I’m honestly still not sure where the Taurus will shine against the other haulers.
The Herc does seem hard to beat but it costs a lot more and can't use medium jump points. Also looks like Herc pilots have a very hard time filling the hull with cargo that has good markup. As a result a lot of them are carrying many cargos at once and can't sell much of the cargo space most of the time. It that's so, the benefits of flying the Herc are severely limited.

And I still gotta note that the Max is going to stay out of trouble more often, being faster and stealthier. Its still a hard ship to beat.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The Herc does seem hard to beat but it costs a lot more and can't use medium jump points.
We don't know this but it might be true. So far jump gate sizes have not been defined nor what ships fit into each catagory.

Also looks like Herc pilots have a very hard time filling the hull with cargo that has good markup. As a result a lot of them are carrying many cargos at once and can't sell much of the cargo space most of the time. It that's so, the benefits of flying the Herc are severely limited.

And I still gotta note that the Max is going to stay out of trouble more often, being faster and stealthier. Its still a hard ship to beat.
Current in-game trade limitations have been impacting anyone attempting to trade as the issue is with how the fixed economy has been implemented across all available servers. Even at low travel profit items, I have found that lots of them only have several SCU worth of items left so most ships are left either attempting to wait to buy more with each tick or just making lots of stops looking for products to buy. The other issue is with attempting to sell the good which also has the same shortcoming. Hopefully, with the introduction of Quantum, some of this will be addressed until then trading even in small ships is not very effective.

The Max is a great ship that has it use as do most of the cargo ship have a situation that they excel in, well besides the Taurus which at this point I am still attempting to find a role.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Meaning, you can simply eject the cargo because of the tractor beams?

When I look at Lancer, Connie, Runner and Corsair, I still think the most practical to fly is the Lancer, just because she is so stealthy. I don't think it would be much a life living on one though. For comfort I think I want the Mercury, but we'll have to see what the Corsair offers.
If you're looking for comfortable living on a hauler, I'd say that currently the C2 is King of the Space Haulers presently. Now if only CIG could remove the severe restrictions on trade, then cargo hauling could be fun, relaxing & profitable, as it should be.

Hmm I think that Conny and Freelancer series share the same "tier" of size, after all they all use the medium size landing pad... or not?
Freelancers can travel through the Small jump points, Connies can't travel through anything smaller than a Medium jump point. Thus might have to travel further to reach certain destinations at times.

The Herc does seem hard to beat but it costs a lot more and can't use medium jump points. Also looks like Herc pilots have a very hard time filling the hull with cargo that has good markup. As a result a lot of them are carrying many cargos at once and can't sell much of the cargo space most of the time. It that's so, the benefits of flying the Herc are severely limited.

Yeah, I really wish that CIG would scrap their intentional severe restrictions of trade in each direction. I understand that they want to entice players to try out new things, but in my opinion they went too far against trade instead of buffing the new aspects enough to overcome trade value wise.

We don't know this but it might be true. So far jump gate sizes have not been defined nor what ships fit into each catagory.
Actually, CIG has stated that the Freelancer series would be the largest ships that can fit through the small jump points.

Reactions: FZD

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Actually, CIG has stated that the Freelancer series would be the largest ships that can fit through the small jump points.
Long ago they did indeed say that. But then they started making classified as small ships that are physically bigger than the Freelancer and so are they small ships capable of going throughs mall jump points or are they physically restricted to medium? It is the same issue they had with cargo space and landing pad size both of which have had several iterations and now a metric established for the same will need to happen for jump gates. Until then there is no definitive answer as to what ship will fit through which jump gate or if jump gate size is just a suggestion based on the ease a ship will be able to navigate the jump tunnel and take a page from what ships fit in others.

In fact in the Mercury Q&A they said
Jump point sizing and categorisation is still being worked out, but we expect the Mercury to fit through the same size jump points as the Freelancer.
Then there is the Shipyard ship technical information
: At present, while we focus building out the single Stanton System, the Ship Size value has no bearing on the Jump Point sizing you can find in the Starmap. While the game system determining which ships can use which jump points is still having its design finalized, we can offer that it is not expected that these “ship sizes” will map 1:1 with “jump point sizes.” We are working on multiple methods to determine jump point traversal and will update everyone (and the ship matrix) in the future once this system is finalized, and we are in a position to confirm this.
This is all to say that yes while it was once true many years ago that it was mentioned the freelancer before it was reworked would be the largest ship to fit through a small jump point I wouldn't hold that comment as set in stone and fully expect it to no longer be relevant.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Freelancers can travel through the Small jump points, Connies can't travel through anything smaller than a Medium jump point. Thus might have to travel further to reach certain destinations at times.
While all other freelancers are definitely smaller than a Connie, Freelancer Max is actually (a lot) wider. Now, Connie is taller and longer, but unless it is a very peculiarly shaped wormhole, there wouldn't necessarily be a difference between the two. A Connie could fit through a smaller, straight, and perfectly circular pipe, but a Max could fit through a more narrow, wider crack.

Anyhow, I wouldn't for sure rule out Connie fitting through the same wormholes as a Max does, or even making it through some that a Max can't.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Long ago they did indeed say that. But then they started making classified as small ships that are physically bigger than the Freelancer and so are they small ships capable of going throughs mall jump points or are they physically restricted to medium? It is the same issue they had with cargo space and landing pad size both of which have had several iterations and now a metric established for the same will need to happen for jump gates. Until then there is no definitive answer as to what ship will fit through which jump gate or if jump gate size is just a suggestion based on the ease a ship will be able to navigate the jump tunnel and take a page from what ships fit in others.

In fact in the Mercury Q&A they said

Then there is the Shipyard ship technical information

This is all to say that yes while it was once true many years ago that it was mentioned the freelancer before it was reworked would be the largest ship to fit through a small jump point I wouldn't hold that comment as set in stone and fully expect it to no longer be relevant.
That was before the MSR grew to the size of the Connie...

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
How much are mining and trade earning per hour for those who have a system down?
My old trade route was netting me 80k profit an hour. Trade changed and the same run was only 16k profit on a risk of 200k... I literally made that much with Clear The Satilites missions in 20 minutes.

Trade will come along eventually, but I'm not touching it again until I see proof it's working and I don't have to risk a big wedge for a pittanace return... Until then I go into the game to mess about, and grind clear the Satilites missions to recoup what little I have to spend on fuel and repairs.

If gas mining comes in and is a viable income before trading gets rebalanced, I may never come back to box pushing which would be a shame but a guys gotta put more than bread on the table 'y know.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
That was before the MSR grew to the size of the Connie...
Yep, that's my point. Things are in a state of flux and while it once was said long ago that a freelancer would be the largest ship to fit in a small jump point who knows what the case might be. I honestly do not believe CIG has given it much thought at the moment and will not create a metric for it until it's needed once they are done with server shards and which should open up the use of Jump gates.

• o7

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Yep, that's my point. Things are in a state of flux and while it once was said long ago that a freelancer would be the largest ship to fit in a small jump point who knows what the case might be. I honestly do not believe CIG has given it much thought at the moment and will not create a metric for it until it's needed once they are done with server shards and which should open up the use of Jump gates.
Can we at least agree that the Hercules ships should not be able to fit through the small jump ports? I'd say that should be a reasonable assumption.

Reactions: Bambooza

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think CIG was clear that the largest ships can only use large jumps points. I think the Herc qualifies, at least until we hear differently. 70 m beam is wider than the Nautilus, Perseus and 890 Jump.

• o7
Forgot your password?