Make your 3.5 screenshots beautiful with this one simple trick!

mr-hasgaha

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Hasgaha
You can use this one to express disapproval : )

------
As for me, I always focus on eyes ; )

By the way, while I love shallow depth of field and I use it very often in real life and in games, it can be easily overused. In many cases it's better to use smaller apertures / higher f-stop, especially when the background is interesting.

Take this as an example: wide aperture gives a nice blurred background, but in this particular case a background is actually very cool, so it's worth to keep it sharp. Besides, by using higher f-stop all elements of the subject are sharp, which, in case of people, is very important -- this way both eyes and nose are still in focus, which is impossible with a small f-stop.

A B S O L U T E L Y ! ! !

DOF blur is HEAVILY overused. It has a mainstream "oooh cool" effect but often times servers no purpose to the composition, narrative, etc of the image overall. I should have added a disclaimer to the video:

"now that you know HOW... don't over do it! Use DOF blur with thoughtful purpose rather than reckless abandon"

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Check out my OLD cheat sheet then... ignore all mentions of "chase camera" as it was removed shortly after I made this (in alpha 2.6)

What a great key chart, amazing work on that, this would make it easy to make a "Stream deck" layout to use when taking screenshots or videos. AWESOME work @mr-hasgaha :D

A B S O L U T E L Y ! ! !

DOF blur is HEAVILY overused. It has a mainstream "oooh cool" effect but often times servers no purpose to the composition, narrative, etc of the image overall. I should have added a disclaimer to the video:

"now that you know HOW... don't over do it! Use DOF blur with thoughtful purpose rather than reckless abandon"

I'm a photographer been doing that for over 40 years and you just said the one thing I say to people starting out in photography.

"Don't over do the background blur (DOF) or the bokeh effects keep it to a minimum,
a lot of (DOF) blur is fine in some images but rarely serve a purpose in general for a good composition or image story telling.
Try use it to your advantage to focus what you want people to look at without removing the hole story the image can tell.
"

CHEERS! :D

SIDE NOTE: Thought I add some reference... I let the pictures speak for them self :D
(the .com address on the pictures don't lead anywhere any more, but to a empty page so no point in trying it.) ;)

CHEERS!

Last edited:

mr-hasgaha

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Hasgaha
While this may offend some, I believe that at this rate of content creation, I can sincerely compare @mr-hasgaha with Leonardo Da Vinci in regards of @mr-hasgaha being an artistic master in the digital media realm. This being stated, I also have to give the utmost credit to the Dev's at CIG for their parts in this as well. Together, they make a most glorious team.

I noticed, thanks August!

mr-hasgaha

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Hasgaha
What a great key chart, amazing work on that, this would make it easy to make a "Stream deck" layout to use when taking screenshots or videos. AWESOME work @mr-hasgaha :D

I'm a photographer been doing that for over 40 years and you just said the one thing I say to people starting out in photography.

"Don't over do the background blur (DOF) or the bokeh effects keep it to a minimum,
a lot of (DOF) blur is fine in some images but rarely serve a purpose in general for a good composition or image story telling.
Try use it to your advantage to focus what you want people to look at without removing the hole story the image can tell.
"

CHEERS! :D

SIDE NOTE: Thought I add some reference... I let the pictures speak for them self :D
(the .com address on the pictures don't lead anywhere any more, but to a empty page so no point in trying it.) ;)

CHEERS!
YES YES YES!
And amazing shots!!

Forgot your password?